Ravnica Available To DMs Guild Creators From Today!

Ravnica is joining Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Ravenloft, as a setting available for creators on the Dungeon Master's Guild from today, November 20th.

rav1.jpg

WotC made the following brief announcement last night:

"Intrepid DM's Guild creators! Ravnica will be added as a setting on Dungeon Masters Guild tomorrow Nov 20th! (We will be coordinating day-of updates of the Ravnica setting filter and updating the FAQ. Please be patient if these aren't up quite yet if you upload early!)"

Last edited by a moderator:

No kidding, really? I had no idea.

Of course I already frolicing know about her maps. In her patreon discord channel, she mentioned wanting to do detailed regional maps at 100 ft per pixel resolution.
Then why ask for them?

Is there something special that will happen if they get an official seal of approval from WotC?
Will seeing them in a physical product (at a much, much lower resolution than available online) make some difference?

Instead of pointing me to PDFs that likely every Greyhawk enthusiast already has, take a moment to note the complete absence of a folio detailing Eastfair, or Torrich. Perhaps Ekbir could use a dedicated product.
Hey, my Living Greyhawk region was Zeif. So I know all about limited official support.

But any official book is 100% going to be focused on the city of Greyhawk. They're never, ever going to do a big book of Ekbir. And even if they switch to Greyhawk adventures, the edition will end twice over before they get that far to the edge of the map.

But there's already a fan guide to Ekbir: http://www.greyhawk.fr/IMG/pdf/guidekbir21.pdf
(It just happens to be in French, because that region in LG was French speaking.)

Quite frankly, nothing is missing to play in any setting right now. Even the various Magic the Gathering worlds are perfectly well ready to set D&D games or campaigns in. There's nothing stopping anyone from playing anywhere at all. The point, which you so willfully ignore, is that those of us who are playing in Greyhawk (and Dark Sun, etc.) would like to use the DMs Guild to share our creations and to support the creative folks who can enrich our games. It's not an issue of something "missing," it is an issue of new quality stuff.
Why do you need to make new stuff? What's wrong with the old stuff?
Why can't you share your creations right now? That's literally what the Oerth Journal is for: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2

I mean, your whole question of "what is missing to play Greyhawk right now?" is incredibly dismissive, to the point of being asinine. What's missing to play D&D in the Forgotten Realms right now? Do you think there will be more products set there, and do you think that a game in the FR can be enriched by 3rd party products bought from the DM's Guild? How about Ravenloft? Do you think there is any value to the various DM's Guild offerings set there?
Funny you should mention Ravenloft. Because Ravenloft is one of the settings supported by the Guild. And there's practically nobody writing for it. There was a few splatbooks and accessories, but nobody really invested the time in new content. Because no one wants to BUY it.
No one gives a crap about someone's fan domain and homebrew darklord.

Oh, there are books listed under "Ravenloft". Subclasses and monsters and rules expansions. But there's almost nothing on the setting proper. And most is just tied to Curse of Strahd. There's nothing on Mordent or Nova Vaasa or Darkon.

In part because there's more than enough official content. And in part because people have been giving away their homebrew for years.
It's just not worth the time and energy for people to formally write up the document, format it, and publish it...

I think the more interesting question is "What the hell do you have against people putting Greyhawk material up on the DM's Guild?" You seem to hold the position that Greyhawk should remain forbidden territory on the DM's Guild at the moment, so how about you justify that?
I'm not.
Quite the opposite.
I just asked what was lacking to prevent people playing in Greyhawk right now. What is preventing people from playing in and using the setting? Again, the answer is NOTHING. If people wanted to play in Greyhawk, they would be.
This is very different than a setting like Dark Sun, where there are major species absent and big rules elements missing, like defiling. To say nothing of a metric tonne of monsters.
People played Greyhawk just fine for an entire generation with just the World of Greyhawk folio. That's all they needed in the 1980s. Why is more needed now?

Could people write more content? Sure. But they can do that already. Again, there's no shortage of regional guides from the Living Greyhawk era still available online and fanzines and fan netbooks have long, long been a thing. To say nothing of exansions on forums or fan wikis.

People just can't sell them or make a profit.

It's not about people playing in Greyhawk. Or writing about Greyhawk. It's about people SELLING products with Greyhawk. The fans wanting to make money. I can't fault that, but I don't see that as a priority for WotC. And I think you're kidding yourself if you think Greyhawk being added to the Guild will somehow lead to expansive world guides being written and published.

Edit: Here's another question for you: If there is no value to updating and exploring material from the World of Greyhawk, why is it that so much of WotC's D&D 5e product line has been focussed on stealing people, places, and things from Oerth and relocating them to the Forgotten Realms?
What they have stolen?

Well, there's the Tomb of Horror and Temple of Elemental Evil. Both of which were only in Greyhawk by name only and meant to be placed in homebrew worlds. And both were about multiversal threats that affected multiple realms. Those aren't Greyhawk material. Those are D&D material. Claiming the elemental princes are a Oerth thing is like claiming the Demogorgon or orcs are an Oerth thing.
Oh… and in both cases, only new dungeons are in the Realms. The original remain in Oerth. It's just a alternate version in Faerun.

What else did they move? Name ONE thing that was *actually* moved from Oerth to Faerun. One.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I explicitly said “thing”. ;)

Yeah, he is in there. And in the novel Death Masks. But I’m sure he popped home after. Mordy is the kind of dude who’s pup crawls aren’t limited to one reality.

I agree with your broader point, just my mind jumped to that immediately.

gyor

Legend
Then why ask for them?

Is there something special that will happen if they get an official seal of approval from WotC?
Will seeing them in a physical product (at a much, much lower resolution than available online) make some difference?

Hey, my Living Greyhawk region was Zeif. So I know all about limited official support.

But any official book is 100% going to be focused on the city of Greyhawk. They're never, ever going to do a big book of Ekbir. And even if they switch to Greyhawk adventures, the edition will end twice over before they get that far to the edge of the map.

But there's already a fan guide to Ekbir: http://www.greyhawk.fr/IMG/pdf/guidekbir21.pdf
(It just happens to be in French, because that region in LG was French speaking.)

Why do you need to make new stuff? What's wrong with the old stuff?
Why can't you share your creations right now? That's literally what the Oerth Journal is for: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2

Funny you should mention Ravenloft. Because Ravenloft is one of the settings supported by the Guild. And there's practically nobody writing for it. There was a few splatbooks and accessories, but nobody really invested the time in new content. Because no one wants to BUY it.
No one gives a crap about someone's fan domain and homebrew darklord.

Oh, there are books listed under "Ravenloft". Subclasses and monsters and rules expansions. But there's almost nothing on the setting proper. And most is just tied to Curse of Strahd. There's nothing on Mordent or Nova Vaasa or Darkon.

In part because there's more than enough official content. And in part because people have been giving away their homebrew for years.
It's just not worth the time and energy for people to formally write up the document, format it, and publish it...

I'm not.
Quite the opposite.
I just asked what was lacking to prevent people playing in Greyhawk right now. What is preventing people from playing in and using the setting? Again, the answer is NOTHING. If people wanted to play in Greyhawk, they would be.
This is very different than a setting like Dark Sun, where there are major species absent and big rules elements missing, like defiling. To say nothing of a metric tonne of monsters.
People played Greyhawk just fine for an entire generation with just the World of Greyhawk folio. That's all they needed in the 1980s. Why is more needed now?

Could people write more content? Sure. But they can do that already. Again, there's no shortage of regional guides from the Living Greyhawk era still available online and fanzines and fan netbooks have long, long been a thing. To say nothing of exansions on forums or fan wikis.

People just can't sell them or make a profit.

It's not about people playing in Greyhawk. Or writing about Greyhawk. It's about people SELLING products with Greyhawk. The fans wanting to make money. I can't fault that, but I don't see that as a priority for WotC. And I think you're kidding yourself if you think Greyhawk being added to the Guild will somehow lead to expansive world guides being written and published.

What they have stolen?

Well, there's the Tomb of Horror and Temple of Elemental Evil. Both of which were only in Greyhawk by name only and meant to be placed in homebrew worlds. And both were about multiversal threats that affected multiple realms. Those aren't Greyhawk material. Those are D&D material. Claiming the elemental princes are a Oerth thing is like claiming the Demogorgon or orcs are an Oerth thing.
Oh… and in both cases, only new dungeons are in the Realms. The original remain in Oerth. It's just a alternate version in Faerun.

What else did they move? Name ONE thing that was *actually* moved from Oerth to Faerun. One.

Your taking it too literal, he's referring clearly to things general linked heavily to Greyhawk, and not to actually taking most of those things physically and permantly out of Greyhawk, but rather taking the idea and symbols of them and making an FR version.

I agree with your broader point, just my mind jumped to that immediately.
I know

It’s a fair point. It is the best example of the Realms “stealing” something from Greyhawk. But even then, Mordenkainen isn’t so much “moved” as “visiting”. And he has a long, long history of plane hopping.

Your taking it too literal, he's referring clearly to things general linked heavily to Greyhawk, and not to actually taking most of those things physically and permantly out of Greyhawk, but rather taking the idea and symbols of them and making an FR version.
I’d argue they’re linked more with D&D than Greyhawk. That's the logo on the cover. And Tomb of Horrors predates Greyhawk by several years. Even then, the point of adventure modules was for you to put them in your own world.

Formally having them be “Greyhawk Adventures” really came later when other worlds with their own adventures were added. It’s a retcon.

Besides, why would the Elemental Princes be limited to one world?
Maybe that’s the comic fan in me, but I think that just makes the continuity and lore of the universe tighter. It’s not “stealing” to gave Lex Luther Show up and be the bad guy in a Batman story.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases