Ravnica Available To DMs Guild Creators From Today!

Ravnica is joining Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Ravenloft, as a setting available for creators on the Dungeon Master's Guild from today, November 20th.

Ravnica is joining Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Ravenloft, as a setting available for creators on the Dungeon Master's Guild from today, November 20th.

rav1.jpg

WotC made the following brief announcement last night:

"Intrepid DM's Guild creators! Ravnica will be added as a setting on Dungeon Masters Guild tomorrow Nov 20th! (We will be coordinating day-of updates of the Ravnica setting filter and updating the FAQ. Please be patient if these aren't up quite yet if you upload early!)"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Try yourself on the guild before tagging other users as 'desperate' or 'greedy crybabies'. You can set your products to 0 $ and make them generic in order to avoid the usage of wotc IP, in that way you'll be not dirty with lurid money and ok with your conscience about using IP inherited by companies. Who knows if you are really able to 'enrich the community'…

Anyway, I hope you are coherent in not liking people who make fame and fortune with D&D and in this you also don't like wotc. I neither like nor dislike them, but I strongly think that a 'wikimedia foundation' or 'GNU foundation' model in the management of D&D brand would be better than a company commercial management. In my opinion d&d is too much important to be used as a source of income only.

We definitely need to look into a policy for people who report posts and then aggressively reply to the post they're reporting. I assume they do so in the belief that the moderators will prevent the other person from replying leaving you with the last word.

For now, please consider this a rule: if you report a post, please do not reply to it at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

epithet

Explorer

TLDR: To speak openly - anyone complaining is likely a greedy crybaby and can safely be ignored.

What's with the personal insults?

Also, how idiotic is it to suggest that someone complaining because the store doesn't allow the products he wants to buy is greedy? I guess someone like you is inclined to label anyone that complains about anything in a way you don't agree with as a crybaby, I suppose that's just the kind of person you want to be online. Still, I am surprised to see you accuse someone who wants to buy a stuff of being greedy.

With regard to the free fan content you purport to celebrate, that stuff can be fantastic, and it can be garbage. There is no rating system or comment section to give you a clue, and there is no central repository that makes it easy to find it. I've found lots of content, and even used some of it. Unless the creator has a Patreon, however, there is currently no effective way to support the creation of more stuff. I'm not greedy, but I am lazy. I want the DM's Guild to take Greyhawk and Dark Sun submissions because I want them to be easily found and I want it to be easy to support the creators, with both feedback and money, thereby encouraging more creation.

Can you safely ignore me? Certainly. Does it make you less of a tool? Nope.

epithet

Explorer

I don't see how things have changed.

Things have changed because WotC introduced the DMs Guild as a platform for sharing fan created content, but have only opened it up to fans of a very few D&D settings. Now they have opened it up to a non-D&D setting, while still prohibiting anything specific to established, traditional D&D settings.

This creates the ridiculous situation where you can use the WotC platform of the DM's Guild to publish a side-quest for Against the Giants, but only if you set it in the Forgotten Realms, Barovia, Eberron, or some "Magic the Gathering" world. If you set it in the world it was meant to be in, well... I guess you can try to find somewhere to post it for free and hope someone sees it, right?

If there were no DMs Guild, things wouldn't have changed. Things changed somewhat when the FR was picked as the official setting of this edition, and things changed again when legacy settings were opened up one at a time, at a glacial pace that speaks to a begrudging attitude on the part of WotC. Now, things have changed again, because even the slow pace with which legacy settings were opened on the Guild store has been sidetracked with a setting which might as well be Pokemon. I have nothing against WotC using another of their IPs to introduce new D&D content, I actually think that was a pretty good idea. I don't appreciate the fact that their non-D&D IP setting is now elevated above traditional D&D settings on the D&D online store.

I hope that clears things up for you.

CapnZapp

Legend
I guess you can try to find somewhere to post it for free and hope someone sees it, right?
Yes, exactly. You could do this before, and you can do this now.

Just post about it maybe here or at Reddit and you should find that loads of fans will see your effort.

I don't appreciate the fact that their non-D&D IP setting is now elevated above traditional D&D settings on the D&D online store.
Ah, so it's a personal hang-up from you. Got it.

I hope that clears things up for you.
Yes. You voluntarily let the existence of the DMsG inhibit your ability to post Greyhawk stuff the way fans have done for decades.

Besides, you quoted the wrong post of mine. The "things have changed" quote came from this post, which contains two sentences I feel is as relevant now as it was two pages ago :)

People have made their own adventures and put them up on web sites for decades.

Nobody's forcing you to use DMsG after all.

So the thing that might have changed is possibly you no longer being satisfied with your universal right to create fan works, and need... more (I feel I have to deliberately be vague here).

In other news, WotC is perfectly within their right to use their repository for fan works to funnel creative energies into the settings they want to highlight, and not the settings they wish to sunset or put on the back burner.

Things have changed because WotC introduced the DMs Guild as a platform for sharing fan created content, but have only opened it up to fans of a very few D&D settings. Now they have opened it up to a non-D&D setting, while still prohibiting anything specific to established, traditional D&D settings.

While everyone is allowed a version of the facts, I don't think your interpretation is fair, because it creates the false assumption that they're arbitrarily picking what settings deserve or not to have fan-created content made available at the Guild, and that's not the case, because we do have a clear pattern.

For now, every setting with at least one official release from WotC was later opened for fan created content at the Guild. I expected that pattern to be broken with Ravnica because it appears to be the most popular MtG IP ever, but that was not the case (that's a good thing, IMO).

Now, if they had opened a different MtG setting for fan-created content (let's say Ixalan), or picked an old setting with no 5e support (let's say Birthright) and opened it, I'd see a reason for complaint. The lack of an apparent pattern would make it reasonable for fans of Greyhawk, Dark Sun, or even other MtG settings to feel like they're unfairly being left behind.

epithet

Explorer
While everyone is allowed a version of the facts, I don't think your interpretation is fair, because it creates the false assumption that they're arbitrarily picking what settings deserve or not to have fan-created content made available at the Guild, and that's not the case, because we do have a clear pattern.

For now, every setting with at least one official release from WotC was later opened for fan created content at the Guild. I expected that pattern to be broken with Ravnica because it appears to be the most popular MtG IP ever, but that was not the case (that's a good thing, IMO).

Now, if they had opened a different MtG setting for fan-created content (let's say Ixalan), or picked an old setting with no 5e support (let's say Birthright) and opened it, I'd see a reason for complaint. The lack of an apparent pattern would make it reasonable for fans of Greyhawk, Dark Sun, or even other MtG settings to feel like they're unfairly being left behind.

I would submit that Greyhawk has had "at least one official release," since Against the Giants, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain (all Greyhawk adventures) have been released in a 5e product. Of course, WotC had to hang them loosely upon some stupid contrived framework of a Forgotten Realms quest giver, but they're still Greyhawk adventures. Add to that the fact that they took the Tomb of Horrors and Dwellers of the Forbidden City and built them into a whole campaign, even though they couldn't be bothered to put it in Hempmonaland where it belongs and instead transplanted it to Chult. They also built a campaign out of the Temple of Elemental Evil, but there too shoehorned it into a different setting. They've also released a book "authored by" an ionic archmage of Oerth, namely Mordenkainen. The Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide are replete with references to the peoples, pantheons, places, and characters of the World of Greyhawk. They've recently released a new adventure set in the Barrier Peaks.

So, yeah... when they've used that much Greyhawk content, and created that much new content related to the World of Greyhawk despite the very thin veneer of Forgotten Realms context they smear over the top of it, the fact that they still forbid fan-created Greyhawk content from being made available at the guild seems pretty damn arbitrary.

Last edited by a moderator:

epithet

Explorer
Yes. You voluntarily let the existence of the DMsG inhibit your ability to post Greyhawk stuff the way fans have done for decades.
You seem absolutely committed to the incorrect assumption that I want to sell my stuff on the DMs Guild. I don't. I've said this before, but what the hell... I'll reiterate. I want to buy stuff, not sell it. I want this stuff to be in a place where it is easy to find and evaluate it.

If there were another option, I'd take it. If I could easily buy well done fan-made Dark Sun content elsewhere, I wouldn't hesitate. I've certainly enjoyed some that was put up for free in a few different places. Regardless of your dismissive attitude on the subject, however, there are several talented writers I am aware of who are waiting for WotC to get off its ass and open their favorite settings up for material on the DMs Guild. I'm sure if they were made aware of your dismissive and scornful attitude, they would immediately set aside their silly fantasies of making a little money off of their work and just post their stuff for free and maybe drop a mention on Reddit, but sadly they don't seem to have had the benefit of your great wisdom on this subject. Alas.

So, yeah... when they've used that much Greyhawk content, and created that much new content related to the World of Greyhawk despite the very thin veneer of Forgotten Realms context they smear over the top of it, the fact that they still forbid fan-created Greyhawk content from being made available at the guild seems pretty damn arbitrary.

While I'd agree that moving Greyhawk's characteristic IP to the Realms is a kind of mistreatment to a setting that many D&D players (including myself) enjoy, or even prefer, it doesn't represent a break of the pattern I commented on my previous post. Yes, it would be great if Wizards set Tyranny of Dragons on Krynn and Princes of the Apocalypse on Oerth, but that was not the case. In fact, TotYP made it clear that they're willing to make some additional effort to break modules away from classic settings they're not willing to support for now.

It's also a way to make sure that Guild efforts will be directed to products that support settings Wizards is working on. That's a fair business decision, IMO. If they decided to open Greyhawk for Guild support now, for example, creators would be tempted to compete against the Ravnica guide, instead of supporting it. I don't think that we, either as customers or creators, have the right to ask Wizards to use its IP in ways that risk damaging its business.

Personally, I prefer to see the glass half-full: once Wizards decides to actually release Greyhawk material (something I expect to happen in the future), Guild support will follow at full, and we'll see the setting get a real renaissance, instead of two or three good products trying to survive in a sea of Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Planescape, and Mystara glut, like would happen if they just allowed everything to get support at once.

With regard to the free fan content you purport to celebrate, that stuff can be fantastic, and it can be garbage. There is no rating system or comment section to give you a clue, and there is no central repository that makes it easy to find it.
Well… yeah. But that's also the primary complaint about the DM's Guild: you have zero idea of the quality.
But given several of the oldest Oerth Journals are written in part by Erik Mona the quality is presumably high. Tracking down those e-zines is probably the best way to get more content.

Supporting creators financially is admirable. And the money I have made on the Guild is nice. But I treasure feedback and praise so much higher. Reviewing might be appreciated more,

This creates the ridiculous situation where you can use the WotC platform of the DM's Guild to publish a side-quest for Against the Giants, but only if you set it in the Forgotten Realms, Barovia, Eberron, or some "Magic the Gathering" world. If you set it in the world it was meant to be in, well... I guess you can try to find somewhere to post it for free and hope someone sees it, right?
Except you can made setting neutral material as well.

So you could do a side-quest spinning off of Against the Giants and set in the nation of G_____ and that would *technically* be fine.
Adventures, monsters, and the like are easy for that, not requiring much in the way of setting details.

CapnZapp

Legend
You seem absolutely committed to the incorrect assumption that I want to sell my stuff on the DMs Guild. I don't. I've said this before, but what the hell... I'll reiterate. I want to buy stuff, not sell it. I want this stuff to be in a place where it is easy to find and evaluate it.

If there were another option, I'd take it. If I could easily buy well done fan-made Dark Sun content elsewhere, I wouldn't hesitate. I've certainly enjoyed some that was put up for free in a few different places. Regardless of your dismissive attitude on the subject, however, there are several talented writers I am aware of who are waiting for WotC to get off its ass and open their favorite settings up for material on the DMs Guild. I'm sure if they were made aware of your dismissive and scornful attitude, they would immediately set aside their silly fantasies of making a little money off of their work and just post their stuff for free and maybe drop a mention on Reddit, but sadly they don't seem to have had the benefit of your great wisdom on this subject. Alas.
If you mean to say that DMs Guild is not without it's disadvantages, effectively putting a dampener on creativity everywhere else, then I absolutely agree.

As for Greyhawk, that ship sailed a long time ago. I wouldn't hold my breath for official support even for fan content.

Remove ads

Remove ads