• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I suppose the question is: Given a planet-wide city, how is this different from Trantor (Azimov's Foundation series) and Coruscant (Star Wars capital world)?

gyor

Legend
Oh, absolutely.

Not really.
It's those pesky human emotions. You can't choose how you feel about things.

I'm know not losing anything. Logically, I know that I'm buying the same number of D&D books in the fall as I thought I was yesterday. This new announcement doesn't change anything.

And yet there was always that faint hope there'd be something cool in the fall. Eberron or Planescape or something else. I'm reconciling the infinite coolness of a theoretical and potential product with the reality of a book I don't even know I'm interested enough in to snag a pirated PDF.

I think I described it elsewhere as if the Dungeon & Dragons team—instead of resurrecting any of the dozen existing settings—decided to release a D&D campaign setting based on an old '80s Hasbro toy line. Like Inhumanoids or Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light.
Sure, some people would be surprised and excited, but it feels like a missed opportunity. There's so very, very many D&D worlds out there that are unique and instead it feels like they're pandering to a different audience.

Sure, not everything has to be for me. I am not the target audience for all things D&D.
And, yes, it makes sense as a product and I can understand and support WotC's reasoning. Possibly even defend it.
But that doesn't mean I can't also be disappointed and bummed out.

Naw.
Hope is a sucker's game. Keeping my expectations looooooow.

I great what your saying, but Ravnica is most likely more popular then any of those, maybe even has a bigger market then the Forgotten Realms, MtGs audience I believe is bigger and has more fans then D&D I believe, so they are likely hoping to bring in magic the gathering fans into D&D, tapping into that large market.

As an FR fan I hope they come out with FR MtG decks to draw attention to the setting for MtG fans as well.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm mostly interested in the player options for this one.

Honesty, that's about all I'm interested in from any setting book that WotC releases. I tend to DM/play in Greyhawk, and it doesn't really require any mechanical support (outside some particular monsters), so any setting releases are of little interest to me outside of what mechanical options they offer.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I suppose the question is: Given a planet-wide city, how is this different from Trantor (Azimov's Foundation series) and Coruscant (Star Wars capital world)?
It probably lacks spaceships and other scifi elements.

gyor

Legend
Looking at the races in the homebrew version of Ravnica, if the official setting has them too, Minotaurs, Centaurs, Loxodians (FR has had playable Elephant people in the Durpar Region, but they have two trunks), Dryads (perhaps slightly refluffed as hamadryads for playable dryads like in 4e), Merfolk, Vampires (refluffed perhaps as Vryloka for FR) all should be usable in FR.

Are their any other races in Ravnica or MtG that might get into the official Ravnica setting guide?

pkt77242

Explorer
Not really.
It's those pesky human emotions. You can't choose how you feel about things.

Sure, not everything has to be for me. I am not the target audience for all things D&D.
And, yes, it makes sense as a product and I can understand and support WotC's reasoning. Possibly even defend it.
But that doesn't mean I can't also be disappointed and bummed out.

I think we are talking about two different things. I agree that it is hard to control how we feel about something but we definitely can control how we respond to those feelings. Disappointment is natural and understandable but how we handle and respond to that disappointment is well within our control. Heck, I am sure that I will be disappointed tomorrow.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I great what your saying, but Ravnica is most likely more popular then any of those, maybe even has a bigger market then the Forgotten Realms, MtGs audience I believe is bigger and has more fans then D&D I believe, so they are likely hoping to bring in magic the gathering fans into D&D, tapping into that large market.

As an FR fan I hope they come out with FR MtG decks to draw attention to the setting for MtG fans as well.

Bleh, I don't.

I don't have anything against M:TG as a game -- it's fun, I played it for a long time -- but I have grave and long-standing ethical concerns about its marketing, and I am perfectly happy not having to worry about Hasbro conflating my D&D purchases with support for their addiction engine.

gyor

Legend
Vedalken, Viashino, Krual on the other hand might be a challenge fitting in FR lore. Maybe just use Viashino as mutant Lizardfolk or Dragonborn. Krual can double as, Thrikreen maybe, and Vedalkens new refugees from Abeir, or heck immigrants from Ravnica itself.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Ah. That would be why I'd never heard of it. I don't view the streams and I don't subscribe to Dragon+. If it's not in the product info, put forth here on EnWorld, or mentioned in a YouTube video I won't be aware of it.

Although that does raise the question of why it's not in the product info. The product is listed as an adventure for levels 1-5, and the details fails to mention multiple adventures, which is odd because Tales from the Yawning Portal clearly mentions seven adventures.

What I read led me to believe you could run the adventure four times, with different adversaries and end boss each time.

So...replayable.

But, for example, if they go to Athas as a plane for a future Magic the Gathering card set, wouldn't the MtG fans be justified in being irked the set when to Dark Sun rather than returning to Amonkhet?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads