• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RAW? What is this

Aus_Snow

First Post
Umbran said:
No, I'm sorry, it isn't.
Huh. True. :eek: See, I thought what I'd quoted began with "RAW. . .", not "Core rules. . .", if you know what I mean.

Oops. An oversight, to be sure.

edit --- To further clarify, I simply assumed that arscott was responding to a query about the 'RAW' by describing what RAW might mean to various people. Instead, of course, they gave 'core rules' the same treatment, a fact I was unaware of until my oversight was pointed out to me by Umbran. Naturally, arscott could've intended to do otherwise too, and so forth.

Last edited:

Umbran said:
No, I'm sorry, it isn't. WotC clearly states which books are core and which are not, right on their covers - "Core Rulebook I" (or II, or III). If it doesn't say "Core" it isn't core. Period.

"Rules As Written" can cover just about any published rules, including books froom third party publishers. Anything written can be thought of as RAW. Being so much more broad, I personally find RAW to be a much less useful term than Core.

I think the confusion stems from some individuals view "Core" as arscott said, and others view it as you do.

In other words, we're never going to all agree. :)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
RAW is a television program put out by the good folks at WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment. It is 2 hours of mayhem and shenanigans at varous areans around the nation and world. It is on Monday nights weekly.

Goddess FallenAngel said:
I think the confusion stems from some individuals view "Core" as arscott said, and others view it as you do.

In other words, we're never going to all agree. :)

Except that Core is a defined game term - meaning the PHB, DMG, and MM. It's like disagreeing about the definition of pi.

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Except that Core is a defined game term - meaning the PHB, DMG, and MM. It's like disagreeing about the definition of pi.

I'm not arguing with that. (Either pi or Core. ;))

But, I do know a DM I used to game with that considered "Core" anything WOTC published. He'd argue for hours on the subject. "Yes, the 3 basic rulebooks say Core, but everything WOTC published was 'official', and therefore core. So when I say 'Core', I mean CORE, not just the 3 basic rulebooks."

:confused:

Some people are like that. I find it's easier just to let them go on believing whatever they want, and just define what I mean when I use a term. :)

The Shaman

First Post
Goddess FallenAngel said:
But, I do know a DM I used to game with that considered "Core" anything WOTC published. He'd argue for hours on the subject. "Yes, the 3 basic rulebooks say Core, but everything WOTC published was 'official', and therefore core. So when I say 'Core', I mean CORE, not just the 3 basic rulebooks."
Perhaps, but he'd still be wrong.

Core: PHB. DMG, MM.
RAW: rules as written sans houserules or GM interpretation

Remathilis

Legend
RAW (Noun) Rules As Written. Typically denotes how the "actual" rule is to be applied to a given situation as apposed to DM judgement. Commonly used to describe a scenario when the DM wishes to do something using all the framework of the rules and not developing his own verison (see Houserule). Primarily, its used in a question (Under RAW, how can I...) when the poster would prefer clairificaiton rather than alternatives.

RAW may have seperate connotations as well. It can denote WotC's version of a rule vs. an outside d20 publisher's, or a character (PC or NPC) who is in complete agreeance with all published rules (no customizations based on the DM's world or unique situation). I CAN mean also the default assumption of a rule (by RAW, psionics overlap with magic) or a class, race, spell, magic item or monster exactly as it is printed in a particular book (barring errata).

See Also: Source, Primary.

Sigh, I really need to finalize these and post them...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
It's like disagreeing about the definition of pi.

Yeah, but that happens too...

Snopes.com said:
In 1897 the Indiana House of Representatives unanimously passed a measure redefining the area of a circle and the value of pi. (House Bill no. 246, introduced by Rep. Taylor I. Record.) The bill died in the state Senate.

The Shaman said:
Perhaps, but he'd still be wrong.

Core: PHB. DMG, MM.
RAW: rules as written sans houserules or GM interpretation

Just pointing out that people are going to disagree. Yes, he's wrong - but he doesn't think so, and will tell people what 'core' is according to what he believes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads