D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My best guess is we get another a year from now, as a 2022 q2 release, then the third in the 2022 November slot
An important point to consider is that as of 2021, the D&D RPG Studio has 5 project leads (Chris Perkins, Wes Schneider, Jeremy Crawford, James Wyatt, and Amanda Hammon). So we can expect about 5 books a year moving forward: that leaves three books in 2022 that are not the Classic Settings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
@Paul Farquhar
OK!

still, why does it mean this third project has anything to do with the UAs?
Well, per Winninger, the unannounced book is being designed by James Wyatt. The Dragon UA articles were the work of James Wyatt, and do not fit in the other two books. Ergo, we can speculate fairly confidently that Wyatt's project involves Dragon Monks, Dragon Rangers, Gem Dragons, redesigned Kobolds, redesigned Dragonborn, Dragon Feats, and Draconic Spells referencing the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance.

That's a lot of Dragon action.

darjr

I crit!
Sure James work includes that. But what ties any of that work to this book? The timeline? Or is it possible that all that stuff, or some of it, is for a later book? Or a cut one?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure James work includes that. But what ties any of that work to this book? The timeline? Or is it possible that all that stuff, or some of it, is for a later book? Or a cut one?
The publication timeline works out for a Fall release: test the Subclasses early, test the Races closer to finalization.

I am not metaphysically certain that they are linked, but if there Dragon project Wyatt was working on between October and May was canceled, then he wouldn't have any replacement project ready to go this year.

Kurotowa

Legend
I am not metaphysically certain that they are linked, but if there Dragon project Wyatt was working on between October and May was canceled, then he wouldn't have any replacement project ready to go this year.
Also I don't believe any book has made it to the UA stage and not been released. The UA stage is late in the book development cycle. It only feels early because it's the first time the public gets a tease of what's in the works.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Also I don't believe any book has made it to the UA stage and not been released. The UA stage is late in the book development cycle. It only feels early because it's the first time the public gets a tease of what's in the works.
A lot of the early UA fell pretty flat, and may have been intended for books that didn't happen. And plenty of parts didn't make it to the final products, or in hugely altered form.

Remove ads

Remove ads