• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

dave2008

Legend
So I guess I'm confused, if the third book is a dragon book, which does seem likely, does that mean the "two classic settings" thing was just an outright lie from WotC? Or are we going to get two in 2022? Which would seem a bit packed. Winniger said "three in the next year or two" in September last year (so nearly a year ago).
They never set a timeline. They said they are actively working on 3 classic settings. We have seen one so far and we got an update on another one. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect 1 / year. So '22 and '23 maybe.

EDIT: They also never said we are getting 3 settings, only that they are working on them. As we know now, many ideas die at the 50% or so stage.

They never set a timeline. They said they are actively working on 3 classic settings. We have seen one so far and we got an update on another one. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect 1 / year. So '22 and '23 maybe.

EDIT: They also never said we are getting 3 settings, only that they are working on them. As we know now, many ideas die at the 50% or so stage.
Incorrect.

Here's what Winniger said.
“We’re working on several of those,” Winninger said. “I can tell you right now there are three of the old settings that we’re working on right now that you’ll be seeing coming up here in the next year or two, including some that the fans have been asking for for a very long time.”
So yeah actually he specifies three "you'll be seeing coming up here". That's not "might not make it", sorry, that's not even arguable. He also specifies "the next year or two", which does not include 2023, given he was talking in September 2020. He was a lot more detailed than you're saying - presumably you forgot what he said.

He doesn't limit them to three, of course - he says they're working on "several". But he is specific three are coming out in the next two years.

dave2008

Legend
Incorrect.

So yeah actually he specifies three "you'll be seeing coming up here". That's not "might not make it", sorry, that's not even arguable. He also specifies "the next year or two", which does not include 2023, given he was talking in September 2020. He was a lot more detailed than you're saying - presumably you forgot what he said.

He doesn't limit them to three, of course - he says they're working on "several". But he is specific three are coming out in the next two years.
Yep, I have seen that quote, I just forgot. Though I don't take "the next year or two" to be literal. When I hear someone say that, my first thought is usually "or three." It is not a hard and fast promise. It is vague. That being said, we are getting 2 settings this year, so two classic settings next year could be possible, and of course it is possible the "dragon book" this year is actually a Dragonlance book (but honestly I hope not).

I just don't get why you jump to the conclusion he was lying.

EDIT: To clarify, if we end up getting a setting next year and another one in 2023, I would not assume he was lying in Sept. 2020, I would just assume things changed. Heck, I would assume the same thing even if we only end up with 2 settings in that time frame.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Incorrect.

Just re-reading the quote you posted and this part caught my eye: "...including some that the fans have been asking for for a very long time.”

What settings have the fan base been asking for for a long time? I would say that Dark Sun is not one (since we had it in 4e) and Greyhawk was available in 3e, so maybe spelljamer after all?

Just re-reading the quote you posted and this part caught my eye: "...including some that the fans have been asking for for a very long time.”

What settings have the fan base been asking for for a long time? I would say that Dark Sun is not one (since we had it in 4e) and Greyhawk was available in 3e, so maybe spelljamer after all?
Just the usual suspects (including the one we have just got). I wouldn't read too much into it. I think is more interesting that only "some" have been asked for for a very long time. It implies that there are others that haven't been asked for.

dave2008

Legend
Just the usual suspects (including the one we have just got). I wouldn't read too much into it. I think is more interesting that only "some" have been asked for for a very long time. It implies that there are others that haven't been asked for.
I think the flip side to my point:
  • What is a very long time, and..
  • What hasn't been asked for.
Since I am sure everything has been asked for at some point, I imagine has to do with how much a setting as been asked for. So I am wandering what setting has been asked for frequently and for a very long time.

I think that the very is important. It implies to me that it is a setting that hasn't been update recently (3e or 4e). So what settings have not been updated since 2e and people continuously ask for? I don't know the history well enough, but I know Dark Sun fails on one account (but that doesn't mean DS isn't one of the 2 remaining, just that it is not the one that meets the very long time qualification, at least by me ;) )

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
They really do need an Asian Fantasy supplement. For a company that's ready to embrace diversity and abolish one-sided tropes and stereotypes and appeal to the massive and growing market, you'd figure they'd release a product for D&D to explore beyond the genre by now. I, for one, have long been ready for D&D to encompass fantasy, legends, myths, and stories from various cultures. Prime example is that "Coyote and Crow" RPG that's out there. It's more a sci-fantasy setting but something like that could be adapted to high fantasy (hint hint, WotC, your chance to give Maztica a makeover!)
I'd love more exploration outside of "Euro-fantasy", as you put it. Unfortunately, that way is fraught with land mines.

Re: Asian themed fantasy. I personally expect a visit to the MTG plane of Tarkir (EDIT: also page for original timeline) is far more likely than a revival of Kara Tur - a revival that changes lots of things risks angering fans of the original, but if you don't change enough then WotC will (rightly) be criticized for keeping too many racist stereotypes. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a product that pleases both, but compared to doing a Tarkir book - a plane that was overall well received and already has tons of art - seems way risky.
Note: While Tarkir has dragon themes and involved James Wyatt, I doubt it's the presumably October release since it would be another MTG book. A dragon-oriented MM4 makes a lot of sense to me.

Actually, Kar-Tur could be done. In in-setting time, it's been over a hundred years and a couple cataclysmic events since the ogiginal boxed set. They could rewrite almost the entire thing and it would be completely justifiable from an in-fiction standpoint. Sure, I'm sure someone would be upset, but they'd likely to be upset for the sake of being upset rather than as fans of the FR who want that bit of the setting updated.

Remove ads

Remove ads