D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

They really do need an Asian Fantasy supplement. For a company that's ready to embrace diversity and abolish one-sided tropes and stereotypes and appeal to the massive and growing market, you'd figure they'd release a product for D&D to explore beyond the "Euro-fantasy" genre by now. I, for one, have long been ready for D&D to encompass fantasy, legends, myths, and stories from various cultures. Prime example is that "Coyote and Crow" RPG that's out there. It's more a sci-fantasy setting but something like that could be adapted to high fantasy (hint hint, WotC, your chance to give Maztica a makeover!)
Noooooo.

I know you probably think it's just "Fantasy South America", because people talk about it that way, and almost no-one has read it (or read it in like 1993), but Maztica is a viciously racist setting. Like, viciously and unpleasantly - pro-imperialist/colonialist too! You can't "give it a makeover". It's like giving the British Raj a "makeover" or something lol. It's easily the most racist setting D&D has ever done (though IIRC Savage Coast is pretty bad too what with turning all the natives into evil monster-people but keeping trappings so you know they're still natives). Oriental Adventures doesn't remotely compare, because OA is basically positive, just uses outmoded stereotypes, the term "oriental" long after it was really okay to use it (even as a direction), and is solely about Japan (which is not a "representative" nation/culture of SE Asia, and was an imperial power with bad blood with China and Korea). It's like outright racism vs. talking to grandad about some "exotic" (his word) nation he admires.

And an Asian setting will need them to cultivate y'know, actual Asian/Asian-American writers, which they are doing, but I'm not sure they're there yet. I expect it to happen eventually, but not soon immediately.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Noooooo.

I know you probably think it's just "Fantasy South America", because people talk about it that way, and almost no-one has read it (or read it in like 1993), but Maztica is a viciously racist setting. Like, viciously and unpleasantly - pro-imperialist/colonialist too! You can't "give it a makeover". It's like giving the British Raj a "makeover" or something lol. It's easily the most racist setting D&D has ever done (though IIRC Savage Coast is pretty bad too what with turning all the natives into evil monster-people but keeping trappings so you know they're still natives). Oriental Adventures doesn't remotely compare, because OA is basically positive, just uses outmoded stereotypes, the term "oriental" long after it was really okay to use it (even as a direction), and is solely about Japan (which is not a "representative" nation/culture of SE Asia, and was an imperial power with bad blood with China and Korea). It's like outright racism vs. talking to grandad about some "exotic" (his word) nation he admires.

And an Asian setting will need them to cultivate y'know, actual Asian/Asian-American writers, which they are doing, but I'm not sure they're there yet. I expect it to happen eventually, but not soon immediately.
doing it well would be enjoyable, we might finally learn how to do monk properly.
do I sound super seflish here or am I just nuts?

Planescape is powered by alignments out of favor with modern Players.
That's a grotesque misunderstanding of Planescape.

Planescape is powered by the Factions and their philosophies. The Great Wheel cosmology was based on alignments. But Planescape/Sigil doesn't need the Great Wheel at all. It could be applied to almost any cosmology (just reposition Sigil and reconcept some of the stuff).

So I guess I'm confused, if the third book is a dragon book, which does seem likely, does that mean the "two classic settings" thing was just an outright lie from WotC? Or are we going to get two in 2022? Which would seem a bit packed. Winniger said "three in the next year or two" in September last year (so nearly a year ago).

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
That's a grotesque misunderstanding of Planescape.

Planescape is powered by the Factions and their philosophies. The Great Wheel cosmology was based on alignments. But Planescape/Sigil doesn't need the Great Wheel at all. It could be applied to almost any cosmology (just reposition Sigil and reconcept some of the stuff).
I thought they blew all that up?

Remove ads

Remove ads