D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

darjr

I crit!
I'm pretty sure WotC has plenty of intel on the popularity of Dragonlance, which is why they have shown no interest on jumping on that particular bandwagon.

40% of D&D players are 25 or younger. They weren't born when Dragonlance was popular.
Could be. Could be. I could certainly agree on the intel part. Even the part about WotC not doing Dragonlance, cause I don’t know. I mean I dint think it bother me at all if a DL setting for 5e never saw the light of day.

Except for the novels, right?

And to your last point, Ravenloft?

Nobody said FR wasn’t generic. But it’s been the default location for the majority of 5e releases since launch and new audiences already know it.

Look at it like this: you already have Vanilla ice cream on the shelf. Do you really expect you’ll move a ton more French Vanilla or Extra Creamy Vanilla when the consumers are clamoring for new flavors or are mad that you still haven’t released Rocky Road or Cherry Chocolate Chip yet?

I’m not saying it will never happen, but beyond grognard interest, there’s not much about GH that’s marketable to modern audiences beyond “The Original Classic Setting!” - we’ll maybe get something on the anniversary like others have said. I wouldn’t hold my breath for much else.

I'm saying the Forgotten Realms isn't generic, its vast misunderstanding of the setting to say its generic. People confuse not being easily summedup as generic its not. It wouldn't be the most popular setting if it was generic.

darjr

I crit!
WotC's approach is to revive old settings if they have something different to offer current players (in the case of Ravenloft, a horror setting), not because they are popular with older players, who do not form a significant part of WotC's target market.
And you know any of this how? These are facts or your wishes and fishes?

I mean it makes sense if all the things line up like you say they do. I’m just not sure they do. Not as sure as you anyway.

And you know any of this how?
Observation.
These are facts or your wishes and fishes?
It's not my wishes. I am one of those older players who isn't part of WotC's target audience. Unlike so many people who post here I can put "what I want" to one side and look at "what makes sense for WotC".
I mean it makes sense if all the things line up like you say they do. I’m just not sure they do. Not as sure as you anyway.
What you mean is, you don't want them to. You have to put your own desires to one side and look at the evidence dispassionately if you don't want to be continuously disapointed.

Could be. Could be. I could certainly agree on the intel part. Even the part about WotC not doing Dragonlance, cause I don’t know. I mean I dint think it bother me at all if a DL setting for 5e never saw the light of day.

Except for the novels, right?

And to your last point, Ravenloft?
Supports the point being made since Ravenloft of 5E only vaguely resembles the setting the old timers remember.

Remove ads

Remove ads