• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Re: Visual Aides, Counter Collections vs. Minis.

What do you use?

• I look forward to using the plastic mini's.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I use the nicer, pewter mini's, though I rarely have time to paint them.

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • I use the nicer, pewter mini's and spend long hours perfecting the paint job. Do NOT hit them when y

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • I use the counters from counter collections I have purchased, the kind with cool artwork.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • I use whatever is handy - coins, cornuts, jellybeans, lint.

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Pfah! We use our imagination.

Votes: 6 7.9%

Zogg

First Post
Re: Visual Aides, Counter Collections vs. Minis.

So what does everyone think about these two visual gaming devices? I have to admit I'm probably more keen on mini's, but I like the fact that counters (I'm talking about the counters produced by Fiery Dragon, for instance) are more travel friendly and take up less space. I plan on getting the counter collection for the Diamond Throne but I'll also purchase at least one of the basic WotC mini-sets that are coming out. I will probably use both, but I'd like to hear what people think. In fact, I'm going to make a poll right now.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
I like the look of the expensive pewter mini's but our group uses everything we can. Characters are currently pewter (or the like) mini's. NPCs , monsters are sometimes mini's, sometimes numbered dice. We will be using the new mini's when we get them.

We also use things like Lego, fish take ornaments, beads etc to represent non "living" things, like walls, barrels, wagons, treasure.

Garmorn

Explorer
We use mintures for PC and important NPC that are reacuring.

Regular monsters and NPC's are counters, dice are anything else that handy.

Psion

Adventurer
Um, multiple choice next time, please?

PCs use minis, but as a DM, I manipulate far more figures, too many to paint, so counter collections are where it's at!

Last edited:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
For mass enemy forces like goblins and Orcs I either use GW LOTR Goblin and Uruk-Hai Boxed. There are about 20 easily assembled plastic minis in each set and that's usually more than enough fo my needs. For special monsters we either use proxys or I hit up REAPER for a specific mini like an Ogre or a Mind Flayer or an Orc champion.

For undead like Skeletons and Zombies once again its GW to the rescue with thier Warhammer Zombie or skeleton boxes which are a little more expensive $30 but youre still getting a fair amount of minis for the money.

I'm waiting til I'm actually holding the new WOTC mini's in my hands before I commit to buying those. Compared to the newer Mage Knight paint jobs they look like ass. The actual sculpts are hot though. If they look really nice then I'll just strip 'em down and repaint them myself.

Storminator

First Post
I like using minis for PCs and living monsters, and counters for dead monsters.

Counters are also far and away the best things for horses and wagons, as you can set your mini right on top.

PS

the Jester

Legend
This one should be multiple choice-enabled for sure.

I look forward to trying out the pre-painted cheapo plastic minis, but we use pewter (both painted and unpainted) and whatever's handy ("What do we have around here that's 15x15...hm, pass that bong over").

Wombat

First Post
Okay, there is a middle ground on the minis (I still think of them as "lead", even though they haven't been that for years):

"I buy pewter minis, spend some time painting the, but I don't get worked up if they get bumped -- heck, that's what sealant is for!"

OTOH, my group uses their imagination (cue: Spongebob...)

I find the move towards greater use of minis and great emphasis on precise movement to be a move back towards the origins of D&D...

Chainmail

That game was okay for its day, but not much else.

Leave miniatures gaming to the historical wargaming crowd; if you are going rpgs, use some imagination!

(this last section over emphasized for humourous effects only!)

Voadam

Legend
I have a couple of minis and a lot of counters, but I only bring minis when I play, when I DM it is usually dice or torn pieces of paper with a letter on them. I don't game at my house so how much I physically want to bring is a big factor. I've brought counters to the last games, but they never end up being used because the DM has enough minis to cover his needs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads