• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach Weapon Build?

akbearfoot

First Post
Yeah...ummm RKV...have to be worshippers of We Jas, which requires an evil alignment.

That doesen't sound like 'fluff' to me.

Not to mention the number of builds that show up on the character OP boards with RKV levels.

You can posess the cool weapon for RP reasons, but is it really so good that it's better than all the cool benefits of sacred fist?

If you decide to go the martial route, I'd recommend Warpriest. You get 1/2 divine caster progression, 2 good saves, Fighter BAB, bonus domains, and the ability to cast mass haste!

Archimedes314

First Post
akbearfoot said:
Yeah...ummm RKV...have to be worshippers of We Jas, which requires an evil alignment.

That doesen't sound like 'fluff' to me.

For one thing, Wee Jas is Lawful Neutral, her clerics do not in any way have to be evil. For another, the roleplaying background of a class is the definition of fluff.

To the OP, since, as others have pointed out, trip is suboptimal for a halfling, why not look into Standstill from the XPH? With your reach weapon you can effectively shut down most melee opponents. Armor spikes are also a good option, in case they do manage to close. Also, see if you can take the knight class in the PHB II, at third level they get an ability which treats all squares they threaten as difficult terrain. Not only does this frustrate the movement of enemies greatly (each square counts as two, they cannot run or charge, and they take AoOs if passing through your threatened area), but it means they cannot take five-foot steps when you threaten them. Thus they must waster a full-round action withdrawing, take a AoO when they leave your threatened area, or sit there are take your punishment. And Combat Reflexes is a must if you attempt anything like this.

Last edited:

EditorBFG

Explorer
Unfortunately, I think I'm not going the trip route- not because I don't it would work (I have Strength as a domain, so I can Enlarge myself) but because I don't think I'll have the Intelligence for Combat Expertise-- game is 28 point buy, and as a fighter/cleric I have a lot of ability scores that need to be decent.

Alas, nothing from XPH or Bo9S is allowed in this game-- our GM is foolish and insular (and I hope he's reading this).

So far, I think I am going the AoO route, with Combat Reflexes and Deft Opportunist. And yeah, I will definitely have armor spikes. I am also thinking of Mounted Combat because, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm on a large mount, don't I then threaten a really huge area of the battlefield?

Do you think it is worth getting Domain Spontaneity, so I can cast Enlarge more often?

Also, as far as PrC's go, is Warpriest better or Shining Blade of Heironeous (or Shining Polearm of St. Cuthbert, in my case)?

Legildur

First Post
EditorBFG said:
Do you think it is worth getting Domain Spontaneity, so I can cast Enlarge more often?
That's hard to say. I'm currently playing a spiked-chain wielding half-orc Bbr1/Clr3/Ftr4/EWM1 with the Strength and Luck domains (Kord) and took the Domain Spontaneity (Strength) option from PHBII in order to do exactly that.

The problem I encounter with Enlarge Person is the 1 round casting time. Sometimes that just isn't an option when we are under the hammer. It's great for when your scout gives you sufficient warning, for a narrow front line, or when you just need to be big, but otherwise I end up having to Rage (have the Extra Rage feat) and then all spell casting is lost to me for the duration of the combat.

However with 2.5 other clerics in the party, the loss of spontaneous healing is not apparent. I say go for it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OTOH, he could take some kind of Metamagic or Item Creation Feat to get the advantage of the Enlarge more quickly and/or dependably.

Legildur

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
OTOH, he could take some kind of Metamagic or Item Creation Feat to get the advantage of the Enlarge more quickly and/or dependably.
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to mention that there is the Rapid Spell feat in Complete Divine? that allows you to prepare it with a casting time of 1 Standard Action, but it increases the spell slot used by 1. And you couldn't apply it to spontaneously cast spells.

Elethiomel

First Post
EditorBFG said:
I am also thinking of Mounted Combat because, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm on a large mount, don't I then threaten a really huge area of the battlefield?
Here's a diagram of what squares such a character will threaten. T is threaten, X is where your mount threatens but you do not, and M is mount and mounted characters's shared spaces.
Code:
TTTTTT
TXXXXT
TXMMXT
TXMMXT
TXXXXT
TTTTTT

Remove ads