• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach Weapon Build?

EditorBFG

Explorer
Recently, in a game where magic items aren't as common as usual, circumstances led to my Halfling Cleric 1/Fighter 1 coming into possession of a evil outsider's bane silver guisarme +1. For role-playing reasons, I won't give it away or sell it, so I am thinking of making it my main weapon until I am much higher. Originally I intended to go Sacred Fist, but they use no weapons and I have this great weapon, so I am re-thinking my build entirely.

I did some poking around and found a thread or two about reach weapons, but no really tuned-up builds seemed to come along. Anyone know any good reach weapon tricks?

The DM is giving me the option of a re-spec: I have to keep my race and class levels, but my feats, skills, and even my ability scores (25 point buy) are up for change. What should I do now and for the next few levels?

Dross

Explorer
Dragon mag (330??????) had a set of feats for reach weapons, some of which was reprinted in Dragon Compendium.

Guisarme is a trip weapon, so take;
improved trip the +4 will help somewhat with being smaller,
combat reflexes for more AoO's to potentially trip with.

Other than that, I can't help you much.

irdeggman

First Post
Short haft (prereq is a +3 BAB though) from PHB II.

Allows (as a swift action) to lose the reach benefits and use the weapon such that you can threaten and attack adjacent targets.

Unless this is a "small" weapon you would need monkey grip to use it though and then you still suffer the penalties for a wrong sized weapon. Unless of course you only use it when "enlarged".

Kat'

First Post
Dross said:
Guisarme is a trip weapon, so take;
improved trip the +4 will help somewhat with being smaller,
combat reflexes for more AoO's to potentially trip with.

With a HALFLING? You're kidding, right? Trip is Strength- and size-based and does not count BAB or weapon size, so I'd say Halflings are pretty much one of the worse races to use Trip with.

Short Haft is a good option, but if you want to save a feat, just buy a Spiked gauntlet...

Now to the build possibilities (also check Wizard's forums, there are much more detailed explanations that what I can give):
- Lock build: based on AoOs, important feats are Combat Reflexes, Hold the Line, Expert Tactician, Robilar's Gambit...
- Charger build: Power Attack + Leap Attack + Shock Trooper is pretty much all you need (plus the prerequisites). The combination is based on your BAB, so your low Str shouldn't hurt too much.
- Uh... just keep the weapon and concentrate on being a Cleric, which is powerful enough?

nittanytbone

First Post
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip (with large size and decent STR)
Combat Reflexes (with 14+ dex)
Hold the Line

I'd suggest finding a way to get access to the Alter Self spell. Then you can shift into a medium size race, throw on Enlarge Person, and go to town. Hopefully you can get access to Alter Self through your cleric levels somehow (Magic Domain?).

Doug McCrae

Legend
From Lords of Madness, the feat Inhuman Reach gives you +5ft. reach but at a -1 penalty to hit. It requires Aberration Blood as a prerequisite.

brehobit

Explorer
(The following build doesn't actually work without a rule bend, see level 9...)

Rules/game questions:
#1 How important is your current god choice to the character concept and how are gods done in your game (follow an "idea" okay?)
#2 Do you all use the favored class rules?
#3 Bo9S allowed? Can RKV be "adapted" to your god (change free, just fluff)

The goal with a halfling warrior build is to get damage up as quickly as possible and get mobility to be reasonable. This build does nothing with mobility...

Personally, I'd do the following given enough flexibility:
* Get War and good or war and luck domains and have guisarme as favored weapon.
* Combat reflexes is a must. Power attack probably is too.
* Take 2 more levels of cleric, then 1 level of crusader, then go RKV. At 9th level you will be able to take the feat from Complete Champion that gives you +N damage if you hold back an Nth level war domain spell.

Stats:
S 14 (12)
I 10
W 14
D 13 (15)
C 12
Ch 10
So, my proposal:
1: Fighter feat= combat reflexes, power attack.
2: Cleric (war & good domain)
3: Cleric (imbue healing (DR 3/evil is great at this low a level))
4: Cleric (+1 dex) (Stabilize should become your pre-combat buff spell!)
5: Crusader (can get 2nd level manouvers! Your damage is now reasonable)
6: RKV (feat that bumps you to starting with 3 readied manouvers)
7: RKV
8: RKV (+1 Wis)
9: RKV (reserve feat for war domain from c. champion) <---- Ick I screwed up, you can't take this here as CL=6 and you need CL=7. Beg DM maybe?
10: Crusader (or cleric if DM let you put off 9th level feat until 10th)
11: Crusader
12: Crusader (feat that heals you when you recover manouvers), +1 wis
13: RKV ("good" alignment stance goes here)

Darklone

Focus on Disarm. You hit as good as or better than a human.

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, these two are essentially all you need.

My favorite reach weapon build uses the Dragon Disciple PrC to get strength bonuses for triping and bull rushing, as well as taking advantage of the wings to attack creatures from above. But noting your small size and divine casting class, that's not really a great option.

Instead, I would say that you should focus on using some of your cleric spells to their greatest advantage. Continue to take cleric as a primary class, with occasional levels of fighter for a few extra feats and BAB bump. Since it seems like you'll be fighting a lot of evil outsiders, you should be able to get a lot of mileage from Protection Against Evil and Magic Circle Against Evil. Wind Wall is another good spell (especially if you have it as a second level spell with the Air domain) as it will block ranged attacks but not your reach attacks. At higher levels, spells like Riteous Might will be powerful buffs.

A good general tactic for reach weapons is to make use of terrain; put your opponent on rough terrain or lower ground to give them penalties while you stay on nice, level areas. You can use spells like Create Water, Shatter, and Freedom of Movement to help you with this. Also, reach makes flanking a bit easier, so you can get a lot of mileage of of Summon and Planar Ally spells. If you can want to go this route, taking one level of rogue (for the +1d6 damage for flanking) can be very nice if you can afford it.

EditorBFG

Explorer
brehobit said:
Rules/game questions:
#1 How important is your current god choice to the character concept and how are gods done in your game (follow an "idea" okay?)
#2 Do you all use the favored class rules?
#3 Bo9S allowed? Can RKV be "adapted" to your god (change free, just fluff)
We don't use Bo9S, our DM is sullen and insular. What is RKV?

Remove ads