D&D 5E Rebooting d20 Modern With Everyday Heroes

Evil Genius Productions is rebooting 2002's d20 Modern in the form of a tabletop RPG called Everyday Heroes based on the 5E ruleset. Our first tabletop role-playing game is Everyday Heroes™ - a roleplaying universe set in the modern era. Inspired by D20 Modern, Everyday Heroes™ provides a complete rulebook on running campaigns in the current day or the near future. The book covers everything...

Evil Genius Productions is rebooting 2002's d20 Modern in the form of a tabletop RPG called Everyday Heroes based on the 5E ruleset.

Our first tabletop role-playing game is Everyday Heroes™ - a roleplaying universe set in the modern era. Inspired by D20 Modern, Everyday Heroes™ provides a complete rulebook on running campaigns in the current day or the near future. The book covers everything you will need to run a modern-day campaign. This includes modern new character classes that fit within the modern-day theme. It also includes professions (e.g., Fireman, CIA operative, Chef) and backgrounds (e.g., rich kid, military brat, gang member) to help flesh out your character. firearms and equipment, modern adversaries, and revised rules on car and foot chases.

The game includes 6 new classes (the Strong Hero, the Smart Hero, etc., inspired directly by the classes in d20 Modern), 18 subclasses (such as Marksman, Scientist, Commando), along with a ton of backgrounds, feats, and firearms and chase rules.

everydayheroes.png

The team includes some of the original d20 Modern designers -- the company says:

"The core elements of Everyday Heroes™ are based on the Open Gaming License (OGL) for d20 Modern. Released in the 2002. d20 Modern was the first role-playing game set in the modern era. The core rulebook was quickly followed up by a series of expansions including d20 Future, d20 Past, and d20 Apocalypse. The rules were expanded with a series of sourcebooks including Urban Arcana, Weapons Locker, Menace Manual, and Future Tech. Have you ever written something and read it again a few years later? You might say to yourself. 'Man, I would have probably done that differently.' Well, there is no coincidence that many of the designers of Everyday Heroes™ are the same designers who created d20 Modern. This is their shot to take the work that they love and make it even better."

The team includes Jeff Grubb, Stan!, and Steve Miller (formerly of WotC).

Everyday Heroes is coming to Kickstarter in Spring.

All 3.jpeg

So I'm assuming the limits for this initial product based are:

Action: Most of the genre, though maybe the recent Fast & Furious movies might have issues based on how extensive the vehicle and stunt rules are.
Horror: Just about all Slasher films. Walking Dead and most zombie apocalypse stories. Some haunting stories. But possible not things where the protagonists have supernatural powers.
Superhero: Street-level heroes like Batman, Daredevil and Punisher, but nothing that's on the scale of Justice League or Avengers.
Fantasy: Low-magic Urban Fantasy, like one where the protagonist might hunt creatures of the night, but isn't overtly supernatural themselves.
Sci-Fi: Five minutes into the future type material. Some Spy-fi stuff.

Weiley31

Legend
While that is not one of our design goals,
True, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to mix his 5E third party settings to create certain unofficial 5E setting combos: Like mixing Carbon 2185 (5E Cyberpunk) together with Return to Planet Apocalypse to make a kit bashed version of 5E DOOM.

I definitely love that it's going for the Charismatic/Fast/Smart/Strong/Tough/Etc. Base Class, Prestige Class for Commando/Gunslinger/Techie/Daredevil/Mage/Famous Person/Whatever advancement ladder of D20 Modern. Makes for easier "cut and paste" approach to what classes are or are not available in a campaign.

Really hope this baby does OK. It would be interesting to see this line's version of "D20 Apocalypse" or even "D20 Spectaculars"

GuyBoy

Hero
Definitely interested in this as both player and DM.
That said, with previous experience of D20 Modern taken forward into an even more exponentially changing world, I do have some mechanical concerns:
1 How to cope with tech stuff that I don’t even know I don’t know, in regards of computer hacking etc with very tech-aware players?
2 Guns. Two issues here, firstly the gun-obsessive who know every detail of every gun, such as magazine, muzzle velocity etc for whom any rule challenges are a given. Perhaps more concerningly, the broader political aspects of gun control, “good guys with guns” and similar are a worry. ( and I’m conscious I’m writing this on 4th anniversary of Parkland). I’m absolutely not trying to be in any way political here, but it might be an area that needs some thought in design.

Good luck with the project. I will almost certainly support.

Weiley31

Legend
Sexy ambulance girl with a laundry problem of shrinking clothes and sexy fireman that rushes out to calls so fast he forgets his shirt.

I admit that I'm not the likely target audience though.

I've never seen an EMT or a fireman dress in such an "evocative" way. I really hope that gets fixed because that looks ridiculous.

Someone looked at that image of the EMT in a halter top and a mini-skirt and thought, "Yeah, that seems right."

I think what bothers me about the images is that the game is named "Everyday", but the eclectic group shown is anything but that. I don't know about others, but when I run modern games I tend to imagine the heroes looking in a manner as if they had been pulled off the street - or could easily blend into a street scene without standing out too much. The displayed group, while striking are a bit "too out there" - no need to use Investigation or Perception to find these the folks in a crowd!

Howdy Aco175,

I'm a lead designer on Everyday Heroes. We appreciate the feedback and I'm much amused by your commentary in a good way.

The marionette girl is one of our Iconic characters for the "Manipulator" subclass, a charming hero that plays with people's emotions and perceptions to get them to do what they want. Miho there is dressed for her job as it were. The fellow next to her is a gumshoe-type (still without a name) representing our "Sleuth" subclass. He's insightful enough to spot that Miho is nothing but trouble!

As to our three first responders there. I don't know who they are so much, but if it helps, you could imagine they are from one of those "party performances" businesses. Entertainers by night, heroes by daylight! :p

Its Detective Randy, Cindy Nurse and Fire Chief Blast Cannon your Heroic Strippers - please remain calm and stay behind the barrier, our heroes will work hard to get your hearts racing and then they‘ll hose you all down
Everybody: That's not how EMTs/Firefighters/Everyday Heroes look like!!!

Look, they work hard and they play EVEN HARDER!!!!

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads