Recent board games and what I thought [add your own capsule reviews]

Stormonu

Legend
Some ones I've played of late:

POWER GRID: I played a 2-player game of this, and got the impression that with more players, it would be a lot better and far more cut-throat. In the game you are essentially attempting to build enough power stations to light up a certain number of cities. The first few turns and the game seems like it's going to be incredibly easy - until you notice the resources aren't replenishing as fast as your using them. By about the 4th turn (fewer turns if you had more players), you're deeply involved in how you can screw the other player out of the resources you need to power your own plants.

KILL DOCTOR LUCKY - The clue prequel, you're trying to get insanely wealthy and addled Dr. Lucky alone in a room to kill him. Meanwhile, the other players are trying their best to make sure the old man stays alive long enough so they can kill him instead. For such a simple game on the surface it has a lot of strategy going on it and it plays quite whimsically.

FORMULA D - A very well-done racing game that captures the thrill of racing fairly well. Setting your car's "gear" determines what polyhedral die you roll for movement; however, even the different-shaped die don't necessarily have from 1-to-number-of-sides; most have several numbers repeated giving you a somewhat smaller variation in movement. Also, watch out for corners; in the game we played one "S" corner wiped everybody out except the slowest racer - who only made the corner by learning from the other's mistakes. The game plays exceptionally fast - I think we finished the race in about 30 minutes.

CARCASSONE - A tile-laying game that even my 9-year old loves to play. Put down tiles depicting castle-like walled cities and lay claim to cities, the roads or the open fields between them. You can play a single game incredibly quickly and it will leave you hungering to try once more as soon as you finish. Loved it so much, I bought it for my iPad to play solo when no one is around (and improve my strategy as well :D)

AXIS & ALLIES: This is an old, old game of WWII from the 80's. I was just able to play the expanded version last night and wow, what a difference. It was good back then, it's even better now. You take on the role of one of five world powers in WWII - Russia, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan and USA (if you have fewer than 5 players, one or more players takes on extra countries). You build units (infantry, artillery,tanks,fighter planes, bombers, submarines, cruisers, destroyers, battleships, aircraft carriers and transport ships) and then send them to war. The objective? Knock out the enemy's capital and/or capture enough cities to end the war. It's a fun, fun game that's spawned several supplemental versions, expansions and knock-offs. The only downside is set-up time and the first couple of games will take 3-5 hours to finish. The good news: there's an on-line version of the game, and if you don't mind wanting to try your luck against the computer it's free!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
POWER GRID: I played a 2-player game of this, and got the impression that with more players, it would be a lot better and far more cut-throat. In the game you are essentially attempting to build enough power stations to light up a certain number of cities. The first few turns and the game seems like it's going to be incredibly easy - until you notice the resources aren't replenishing as fast as your using them. By about the 4th turn (fewer turns if you had more players), you're deeply involved in how you can screw the other player out of the resources you need to power your own plants.

You're quite right: Power Grid is one of my favourite games (you should see all the expansion boards I have for it), but it's best played with four or five players; even three players doesn't quite show its true awesomeness!

stevelabny

Explorer
I bought myself a bunch of games on Black Friday but i haven't had a chance to play them all yet. MOST of them were meant to be playable by 1 or 2 people since I've been having problems finding people to join me and the gf.

KING OF TOKYO: We've played two 2-player and a handful of 3-player games with this. And this is probably the best short filler game I've played. Its basically just Yahtzee themed to a Godzilla movie with special power-up cards, but its a lot of fun and just gamey enough.

TAKENOKO: Easily the best looking game in my collection. I am a sucker for DaysofWonder-type "pretty" games, but this one is even better. Build a hex bamboo garden with bamboo trees and use the frazzled gardner and hungry panda to finish objectives to score points. Its really light (like Ticket to Ride - light) with a little bit more explanation at the beginning but because of its theme, its the perfect gateway game. We've already played a few 2 player games and tried it with her dad and then her sister, neither of them gamers.

INDIGO: Build your twisty, turny pathways to try to score the gems. Only played once so far, but it was just the right level of brain hurt for a game like this. I'm pretty sure the more its played, the more far-reaching strategies will present themselves, but there is going to be an element of random that will turn some people off I bet.

MAGE KNIGHT: I played once by myself, and although the general consensus seems to be you need to play a few times to get the hang of it and see the depth, I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of the reasons why people sing its praises. It did a good job of capturing the D&D / on an adventure / leveling up feeling while still being a board game. Definitely not for everyone, but I'll be playing it again soon.

MANSIONS OF MADNESS: Only took it out to test it out. This one requires a keeper/DM, which is something I've tried to avoid for board games, but I really like the idea of lock/puzzle mini-games in a board game. And it seems simple enough to play with people of different gamer levels. Looking forward to playing this one.

SMASH-UP: Another one I solo-tested but haven't played yet. Shuffle two factions together and then use their special powers to control bases. It had me at Ninja Pirates vs Wizard Zombies.

HEY, THAT'S MY FISH: A simple area-control game with cute penguins. If the other players aren't trying to plan their whole game out, it should be lightning quick.

DIXIT: I tend to hate any party game because they wind up being too silly, too subjective, or too lop-sided (like Trivial Pursuit). Dixit seemed to be the solution to that. As soon as my gf saw the artwork on these cards it became her favorite game, and we've literally played this with every single person who has walked in our house in the last 2 weeks.
It was such a hit, I immediately ran out and got the expansions. Everyone loves this game.

Still in box: Arkham Horror (for solo/duo play) , Mission: Red Planet (because I love role selection, like worker placement and dig most Bruno Fadutti games and its going OOP) and Lords of Waterdeep (which everyone seems to think is awesome and I'm hoping will make my RPG friend play a Euro).

What was sold out everywhere: MICE & MYSTICS: I want to use this to introduce other people to RPGs. I'll get it soon.

What I played for the first time even though I got it last year:

SHADOWS OVER CAMELOT: A Days of Wonder pretty game. Its a co-op with a hidden traitor mechanic. we played 5 players. I wound up the traitor, but I did not have to make a single offensive maneuver to win because the deck was loaded against the group. Pretty sure most people thought it was interesting enough to try again to see if the game is always that tilted towards evil. Another game that takes a while to explain, but by turn 5, each turn should be taking seconds.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
ESCAPE is indeed cool, and you need to cooperate, too, to get out of the trap. We played it at the Essen Spiel, however, the small expansion pieces were so expensive compared to the rest we didn't buy it after all. Bad marketing strategy.

oni no won

First Post
Innovation- a card game that has a civilization theme to it. Each number represents a technological period in Earth history. What I loved about this game was the "splay" mechanic in which you spread your layers of cards in the direction indicated. The game gets more chaotic as you go up the tech tree.

Roll Through the Ages- another civilization themed game but uses dice. The game comes with a thick pad of paper that is given to each player and is used to record that player's monuments bought, disasters, and advancements. It is an easy pick up game and I've had a lot of success introducing boargames with this game. In fact people who hate dice games in general ended up ordering the game for themselves!

Nellisir

Hero
I've been slow to get into board games; my daughter just turned 6, so most of the games are out of her reach, and my wife has no interest. A new game store just opened in town, however, and they're running board game nights twice a week, sooo... :)

That said:
DOMINION - Own it, played it several times, enjoy it more each time.
SETTLERS OF CATAN - Own it, played it once, looking to play it some more.
CARCASSONNE - Own it. Beautiful game. Excellent starting game. My daughter & I play this regularly with some simplified rules.
SMALL WORLDS - Own it, played it once. I'm not wild about the quantity of fiddly bits, but it's fun.

I just bought GLOOM a few hours ago, have not even opened it yet. Planning on buying DUNGEON very soon.

I'm planning to try out RISK: LEGACY next weekend. A friend of mine got me an indie Cold War spy board game that I don't remember the name of, but will try. And then there's my friend's game SHADOWRIFT, which is a cooperative deck-building game where a party of adventurers defend a town against oncoming monsters. It's like The Magnificent Seven meets D&D.

Someone posted a video walk-through on Board Game Geek: [video=youtube;Twg1iPDbloo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Twg1iPDbloo[/video]

Last edited:

Remove ads