D&D 5E Recent Errata clarifications

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It’s definitely not the worst of both worlds. The more alignment there is the worst it gets! If you like it you are playing wrong! /s
The Angry GM wrote an article on why 5e doesn’t need alignment back during the D&D Next playtest. It basically said, alignment doesn’t actually do anything in 5e, you can completely ignore it and it won’t have any negative impact on your game whatsoever, and because of that, WotC should really just remove it. There’s no longer any point to having it in the game, so why bother trying to pretend alignment is even a thing any more.

Then he went on to explain why he loves alignment and how he uses it, and how he thought it could best be used, if it’s used.

It was a pretty great article, and I very much agree. Either have alignments actually do something, or don’t have it at all. Either would have been a strong choice that would each have taken the game in different directions. Trying to pretend alignment is a thing without having it impact the game in any meaningful way was not a strong choice. It was a weak attempt to please everyone that has always been doomed to end up pleasing no one.

Bolares

Hero
The Angry GM wrote an article on why 5e doesn’t need alignment back during the D&D Next playtest. It basically said, alignment doesn’t actually do anything in 5e, you can completely ignore it and it won’t have any negative impact on your game whatsoever, and because of that, WotC should really just remove it. There’s no longer any point to having it in the game, so why bother trying to pretend alignment is even a thing any more.

Then he went on to explain why he loves alignment and how he uses it, and how he thought it could best be used, if it’s used.

It was a pretty great article, and I very much agree. Either have alignments actually do something, or don’t have it at all. Either would have been a strong choice that would each have taken the game in different directions. Trying to pretend alignment is a thing without having it impact the game in any meaningful way was not a strong choice. It was a weak attempt to please everyone that has always been doomed to end up pleasing no one.
I get your point, and if I didn’t hate alignment so much I’d probably agree. But as is to me it goes No alignment > vestigial alignment > playing another game > fully supported alignment

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And that would probably make me stop playing D&D. I barely tolerate Alignment as it is, and absolutely hate the nonsensical and redundant Great Wheel Cosmology. If D&D had a flood of more alignment in the game, with restrictions on classes/subclasses, spells, and races, I would leave the hobby.
Couldn't you just not use it? You know, like you're telling people who like alignment to just add it back in themselves? Giving up gaming altogether seems a bit extreme.

Scribe

Legend
And it's equivalent in earlier editions, yes.
If thats what we are going for, those definitions are exceedingly poor, and far too short to provide sufficient guidance, which again goes back to what I have said quite a few times.

Good/Evil/Law/Chaos, these things need real definitions if folks are going to try and use them, and as @Charlaquin mentions, a whole system needs to be leaned into, to get any meaningful value out of it.

Bolares

Hero
Couldn't you just not use it? You know, like you're telling people who like alignment to just add it back in themselves? Giving up gaming altogether seems a bit extreme.
If it’s as well integrated as scribe wanted, it’s not that easy to remove it from the game. Probably a lot of lore and game elements will be tied to it.

Remove ads