Unearthed Arcana Recent Unearthed Arcana: Would you play the new options?

ccs

41st lv DM
I haven't read any of the newest UA stuff (yet). But I'm sure my answer would be the same: It'd depend upon what would best represent whatever character concept I had when I needed a new character. And that concept in turn has to fit the game I'm in....
So my answer to all of them, sight unseen, is "Sure, maybe."

Corpsetaker

First Post
The only ones I would consider are the optional ones for the Bard. I was really looking forward to the Arcane Archer but I'm afraid it didn't hit the mark for me. Most of the ones we've got so far feel like something is missing. There isn't enough complexity.

LarryD

First Post
DM is allowing me to mod my ranger to the UA version the next session, to get a feel for the changes. Or course, the big question is trying to schedule the next session...

StarSapphire22

First Post
I've played partway through level 3 on the ua bm ranger now, and I'm genuinely excited for what's to come. I think they did a fantastic job.

I wish Arcane Archer was viable for a little multiclass with it, but the tradeoffs just aren't worth it (at least for my ranger), especially starting with only two arrows. It's interesting though.

Circle of Dreams and Circle of the Shepherd I think both sound interesting, and Dreams allows you to be a more effective healer if you don't have a cleric, etc. I enjoy the fey flavor too. Shepherd sounds great in concept, but I think it's non-aura features are underwhelming. The protections against death are cool, but so situational...and did you really need TWO? I'd rather have my abilities actually affect my gameplay, not just only happen if I go down...I think they could do more to actually show the animal buddies thing they were going for. I'm torn on the new wildshape rules. I both like and HATE them. Why limit the versatility of a class when that's where they shine? I like it flavor-wise though.

gyor

Legend
I'm looking forward the most to the Warlock and Paladin ones. Maybe Sorceror too.

Guesses on subclasses for those Slaadi Patron, Celestia Patron, Dark Lord Patrons, Gloom Patrons, Cultist Boon, for the Warlock, Oath of Liberty, Oath of Chivalry (potentielly gag worthy, but not impossible to make awesome inlike historical chivalry which was often mysandrist in practice, maybe emphasis gender neutrality for a start)/alternately Oath of Passion, Oath of Community, for the Paladin and Favoured Soul or Mystic updated origin for the Sorceror. Maybe the return of the Shadow Sorceror origin too, really liked that one.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
For warlock ua, I'm hoping to see a wotc take on the sha'ir. I've made one myself and found a couple good takes on the class here on enworld, but I am still interested in what an official version might look like.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
First let me state the obvious for a moment. These are UA articles, not fully formed ideas already printed in a hard cover. I don't believe saying what wizards has been over is getting weaker, is necessarily fair. From what I saw in the SKAG the extra subs that made it through UA to finished products all strike me as well done and fun. So long as that kind of quality is kept, once these become finished products (I don't believe we will see ALL of the ones presented) I will be more than happy.

Now... as a DM I would allow all of these should a player be keen on testing one out. No questions asked, so long as it doesn't have some terrible conflict with the setting itself.

As a player? Sure. I liked the BM ranger, the zealot Barbarian, the Knight, the Sharpshooter, and that college of whispers bard thing. Those are ones that are current UAs only, that I would play, given the chance.

flametitan

Explorer
I'd probably be interested in playing the new Ancestral Guardians and Storm Herald; the college of whispers; The forge cleric; and the Knight, Samurai, and a reworked Arcane Archer.

The other things didn't hit their mark for me (and I'd probably play an unreworked BM; I consider it to prefer a different playstyle from the UA BM.) Of course, at some point I also feel like I need to test my hypothesis on the PDK, which is that it's not "bad" as much as not designed to fill the role people wanted out of it.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
As of now, I would definitely play anything in the Fighter and barbarian articles, and *maaaaayyyybbbbeee* something from the druid article.

The Knight and Samurai are both excellent, as is the zealot barbarian, and the ancestral barbarian, the storm barbarian too- Circle of Dreams and Cirlce of the Shepherd are awesome- those are the standouts to me, i didn't look at the bard or cleric much admittedly, but i seem to recall the bard having some issues, and the cleric one just wasn't catching my attention the way the homebrew domains that have come out have.

My next character will be a dwarven cleric with the forge domain. I really like that domain, so much so that it rivals my other two favorites, life and light.

Remove ads