Recommended Story Hours?

Gez

First Post
My two favs are

Posy's Diary, the storyhour by the cutest character ever. And you can never have too much story hours with gnomes ! Gnome rules !

Les Terres Anciennes -- It's in French so it's easy to read (to me at least :p ) and the story has nice twists and plots.

I also somewhat liked the Hodgepodge DragonStarish Story Hour (although its real thread name is Caliber's Storyhour (DragonStar ... well sort of)). Dragonstar + Star Wars + Fading Suns + Spelljammer + Cthuluh... Bwahahahaha ! :D

Plus, you can read in French my Northern Journey Story Hour and discover Arn Queckschatten, a jaded, cynical and irreverencious halfling rogue (my character).

Last edited:

Alejandro

First Post
I second the Heretic of Wyre, and Lady Despina's Virtue before. The others mentioned are good, but no other Story Hour makes me boggle at the imagery and sheer drama and power that is Sepulchrave's writing.

Malexin

First Post
Try reading Nemmerle's "Out of the Frying Pan" which takes place in his Aquerra setting. Its really easy to find because its on the compiled story hour page.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I highly recommend THE ADVENTURES OF THE KNIGHTS OF THE SILVER QUILL, which was written by some fellow I can't quite recall the name of. British gent, I believe...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Wulf Ratbane said:

Ooof. That's a rather dry and far too sterile description for my tastes. First thing that pops into your mind when you read Wulf is "ascerbic anti-hero?"

Well, I was tempted to go for "mad dwarf with uncanny ability to survive deadly adventures that kill all his companions", but I don't think that quite captures the wit of the writeup.

Perhaps if I went for "Gritty adventures written from the perspective of a no-nonsense dwarf with attitude" - it is the only first-person perspective storyhour that I read, all the others which I read are third person perspective, which I normally prefer. There is just something about Wulf...

Better? :)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:

Well, I was tempted to go for "mad dwarf with uncanny ability to survive deadly adventures that kill all his companions", but I don't think that quite captures the wit of the writeup.

Perhaps if I went for "Gritty adventures written from the perspective of a no-nonsense dwarf with attitude" - it is the only first-person perspective storyhour that I read, all the others which I read are third person perspective, which I normally prefer. There is just something about Wulf...

Better? :)

Much better!

I will have to console myself that no blurb is going to "capture the wit of the writeup," as you say. I am content to say it's an easy, pulpy read-- lots of action and bloodshed and, if you're as sadistic as most of my readers are, there is apparently some wit and humor to be found in all the crap my poor dwarf is forced to put up with.

If I had to admit to inadvertently emulating a style, encompassing both gritty action and wit, I would hope Fritz Lieber. Just, you know, with the smallest microscopic portion of his talent and mastery. ;)

I hope that gives folks a good impression of what to expect.

I don't think it's 100% accurate to say this is a first-person perspective. It's still a 3rd person narrative-- it just happens to only concern itself with Wulf's point of view. It's never explicitly clear who this "unreliable narrator" is.

Xarlen, my Story Hour is right here:

http://test.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102

I have been compiling all of the recent posts onto the front of the thread-- very handy if for "catching up." Once you're caught up, the posts at the end of the thread are all the recent stuff, plus the great chit-chat about the story, the rules, the players, etc.

Wulf

Remove ads