Recommended Story Hours?

Junebug

First Post
I am obviously not alone in reading the story hours of Wulf Ratbane, Sagiro and PirateCat - check out the # of views - 36k, 26k & 96k respectively.
I also enjoy jonrog1's Darkmatter story hour.

If I had to choose one, and I don't, :D I really enjoy Wulf's narrative from his (searching for an adjective here, twisted?...no, not exactly, lets go with) classically dwarven POV.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I read a number of great story hours:

Rel and Old One write stories set in the same "Faded Glory" universe. Great tales, both.

I've also been greatly enjoying the adventures of Kid Charlemagne's group. His players regularly post to his story hour and he has some truly memorable villains.

The links are to their most recent threads, where you can also find links to their earlier stuff.

I'd recommend Sagiro, Piratecat, and Wulf, except everyone knows that they're all written by the same schizophrenic genius who sits in his cubicle in the Pentagon basement writing updates and hitting "refresh" all day to boost the view counts. It's part of a mad plot to get all of the computer/D&D geeks hooked via secret messages inserted in the threads so that they can be recruited for top-secret CIA missions at home and abroad.

Consider yourselves warned.

Jeremy

Explorer
Have you got that agent's e-mail address? I want to add my story hour to his list of ones to bump the view count on.

Come to think of it, you think he'd do the updates for me too?

Psion

Adventurer
Talaysen said:
The Heretic of Wyre. Oh, and Lady Despina's Virtue, which will bring you to a point where you'll understand The Heretic of Wyre - but it may be buried somewhat by now.

Let me third this. I recently (as in the day before yesterday) discovered this story and spent the rest of the day devouring it. Fantastic stuff -- deep compelling characters, quirky Vance-esque wizards, philosophical and religious conundrums, demonic intruiges, gripping high-level battles, dizzying plot twists ... yummy!

I also am an old fan of Sagiro's story hour.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Psion, who isn't?

As for mine, it's great if you want to steal ideas for high-level play and political conumdrums. Currently, the plot revolves around an upcoming quest to crush a kingdom of ghouls in the underdark, an undead saint who has seized control of the Church Militant of the Sun God's church, and two PC paladins of that church who are being forced to oppose each other by church politics. Add a slowly sinking swamp city, psionic mayhem, dangerous demiplanes and extraplanar jaunts, and you've got a barrel full of fun! Made all the better, in my opinion, by the excellent commentary of the folks who read it.

So come say hi, and see if you like it! There's some nasty stuff a'comin. Here's a sample from a recent fight:

• Before he can do anything, the hillside under their feet erupts into a shower of dirt and a rising juggernaut of slimy, rotting gray flesh. At first the group thinks it’s an undead purple worm; as both Tao and Velendo disappear into its huge mouth, that’s certainly their first impressions. But as the creature engulfs them, they realize that they’re wrong. Like grasping cilia, the inside of the worm’s mouth is filled with ghoulish arms, clutching and tearing, and dozens of screaming heads that barely poke their way out of the fleshy wall and tongue.

Someone screams.

http://test.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=779

Jeremy

Explorer
*YOU* cannot pimp your own story hour. Other people can, but not you. You have too many other people pimping your story hour. It is already pimped. It is pimping. It *IS* pimp.

We'll bump it up to 100,000 views tomorrow, don't you worry. Don't need any help from the general forum. Much less from posting an excerpt of the necropede in general.

You are hereby limited to pimping other peoples story hours until someone else's has more views than yours AND is comparable in quality.

Please don't hurt me.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Lazybones said:

I've also been greatly enjoying the adventures of Kid Charlemagne's group. His players regularly post to his story hour and he has some truly memorable villains.

And it's been updated just moments ago! BIG climax upcoming in the Story Hour, lots of carnage and the PC's doing a variety of things that don't work out in their favor.

That's kind of a tradition in my game; best illustrated by the immortal words of Brennen, years ago, just before assaulting a castle that (unbeknownst to the party) was defended by Drow:

"Let's go in under cover of darkness. That way we'll have the advantage!"

Last edited:

Remove ads