(Recruiting) The Sundered Empire (Chainmail Setting +Labyrinth Lord)

Express2.0

First Post
I've had in my mind to do a PbP; however my first pet project, that of a "cowboy"game using Sidewinder d20 Modern rules didn't gain any takers.

My second idea, which I now float, is a fairly standard fantasy game set in the now defunct Sundered Empire setting, the setting for the 2000 era WOTC Chainmail miniature game.

Don't know a lot about the setting? Don't worry there's not a lot to know, which gives players room to create "canon".

EDIT: I was originally going to use another rule set, but encouraged by Holy Man, I would now like to use the Labyrinth Lord rules for this game; a retro clone of the old school Basic/Expert rules of my youth.

You can grab the rules here.

The rules are a free download, so give them a look.

My adventure idea will begin using an adventure hook from the old Celebrity Game Table column on WOTC site from the 2000's. The PCs will all be former classmates, past students of an adventurer's academy.

Players will be 3rd level.

I'll put up a bit more setting info in a bit. The setting map is attached below.

Interest? Comments? Questions?

Attachments

• ChainmailMap.jpg
    ChainmailMap.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well sword & sorcery will always win over gunslinging I'm sorry to say. So I am interested in this. Even though I know nothing of the game.

Why didn't you look into using the old basic set? I think some (myself for sure) would love a trip back in time to the days of D&D basic sets.

I have downloaded the rules and kudos to the gentleman for having them at cost (paper versions) so as to share in the system.

Ok looking through the rules.

Old school seperate XP by class, racial restrictions to what can be played. Don't fully understand that combo class thing, but never said I was a smart cookie.

Old school thief percentages oh the memories.

Old school saving throws.

Hmm combat looks indepth and again learning a new system maybe to much at this time. I am currently trying to learn Star Trek, Star Wars, RCFG, Dragon Age RP, and am playing a 1e D&D game that would be similar. But will give it my best.

Hmmm monsters and magical items included then their aren't as many rules in those 159 pages as I thought.

Count me in as for what to play. I think that is obvious.

HM

Last edited:

Express2.0

First Post
HolyMan-

The only reason I'm not using an older system (and there are many free "clones"of older editions out there) is because I have a soft spot for d20 and to make it more familiar to 3x aficionados.

If there is interest, there is Labyrinth Lord, which is a straight up recreation of the the old Basic/Expert D&D rules of bygone days. It is also free, and a personal fave. I would use it if enough folks wanted to try it.

I n regards to Basic, I don't use the combination classes, FYI. Its an attempt to recreate the old Basic D&D elf as class concept, but is more trouble than its worth IMHO.

In the end , if you are familiar with 3.5, Basic Fantasy will be a breeze except for a few old school concepts thrown in here and there.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Please call me HM

I think I would perfer a Basic/Expert game over a hybrid. Just for the old times sake aspect. :lol:

So if combat is the same for Basic Fantasy why did they take out the feats part of the rules I wonder. Oh well not my system but am glad he put the effort forth.

No combos, no problem but that leaves you with only 4 different clssses, (only one more than Dragon Age) and without skills and feats everyone may be the same as everyone else.

I am up for a game of old school you pick what you would like to run.

Are you planning on a long hall campaign like game or just running an adventure for now?

HM

Express2.0

First Post
HM I don't want to seem like a waffler, but I would be more than glad to use the old Basic/Expert rules.

There is a slightly older edition to the Labyrinth Lord (LL) rules, which I would like to use for the game. The differences between the "older" edition and the "revised" is mostly cosmetic, and the older one had artwork. You can download the older, purple cover LL rules I would like to use here.

Give it a look.

I'll change the recruiting blurb at the thread's start.

Express2.0

First Post
Setting Info

I hate giving out setting info;it can often be tedious. But the next four posts will give some detail to the setting, as culled from published info and the interwebs:

It began with good intentions.

Imagine a world without war. A perfect realm where all beings are free to grow and develop without having to fight against their neighbors.

Imagine you see a way to make this dream a reality.Would you risk your life to end war? Your soul?

In the west of the world, the elven hero Marinn took the risk. The God of War, a four-armed warrior named Stratis, walked among mortal races for the pleasure of their combat. Wherever he went, he drove mortals to rise against one another in bloody battle. Marinn recruited heroes of all the mortal races, gathered artifacts that could slay a god, and lured Stratis into an ambush.

In daylong combat, Stratis slew all but three of the heroes. The fight had weakened him, though. Marinn’s allies seized the God of War, and Marinn pierced his heart with an ancient elven blade.

Stratis was slain, but divine power gave him time to utter his curse. “You think your people will be free? You think you have escaped me? You mortals will have nothing but war, not a moment of peace until a new God of War rises to replace me.” Stratis staggered to his feet and erupted toward heaven, spraying his blood and weaponry over the world as his soul blasted upward. His weapons scattered away from his ascent as meteorites, burning through the smoke of the warzone.

Even as he died, the God of War knew how to place his weapons. Stratis’s axe dropped among the savage tribes of the southern lands and was seized by a hobgoblin chieftain named Drazen. Stratis’s spear plunged to the forgotten grave of an ancient human warlord, Ahmut, who rose screaming for vengeance and the death of all living things. Stratis’s flail came by the hands of a child to the half-fiend gnoll Jangir.

But the real danger lies not in the weapons that fell into evil hands—it’s the power promised by Stratis’s undiscovered artifacts. It is commonly believed that anyone who can assemble enough of Stratis’s divine panoply and blend it with his or her own supernatural power will become the next God of War.

The dead god’s promise of war unfettered has come true. For thirteen years the Godwar raged. The only thing that prevented universal apocalypse was the supernatural chaos left in the wake of Stratis’s fall. This turmoil hindered armies of thousands from mustering, much less marching against enemies. Only same small bands were capable of being mustered, and these spearheaded the search for Stratis’s scattered panoply.

The war ended in an undecisive stalemate. The search for the slain god's panoply continues however. Stratis’s curse has left some room for hope. Unfortunately, it is the hope that one’s own people will sponsor the next God of War. Every kingdom and tribe fears the consequences should its enemies win. And no one can afford to trust the good intentions of those who, under other circumstances, might be friends. Because we know where good intentions have taken us .

Last edited:

Express2.0

First Post
Nations of the Sundered Empire

AHMUT’S LEGION Three hundred years ago, the nomad warlord Ahmut terrorized Ravilla before an assassin’s knife put him in an unmarked grave. This dread warrior was reanimated by the spear of the God of War, and he now leads an undead army in a mad quest for vengeance. He has the aid of a forbidden death cult, whose powerful necromantic magic helps keep his army in the field.

DRAZEN’S HORDE The savage humanoids of the Southlands were never a real threat until the hobgoblin commander Drazen forged the orcs, goblins, ogres, and hobgoblins into a cohesive army. They crossed the Blasted Desert in an epic march and attacked with complete surprise. With Stratis’s axe in his hand, Drazen is all but unstoppable.

THE FREE STATES Formerly the buffer state of Govis, this loose collection of towns, cities and fortified hamlets is the homeland of the halflings. For years, the states have maintained an uneasy neutrality in the past conflict, barely fending off the predations of more powerful nations through the use of foreign mercenaries and deserters from the many armies of its belligerent neighbors.

THE PEOPLE’S STATE OF MORDENGARD Just over one hundred years ago, the dwarves of Mordengard toppled their Tyrant King and established a worker’s state. Now the People’s Legion has taken to the field to fight for the freedom of the dwarves. With skill, bravery, and ingenious elemental weapons, the dwarves safeguard their revolution.

NARESH Jangir, a gnoll priest with demonic blood in his veins, has united the gnolls under the banner of his abyssal patron Yeenoghu. Now gnoll and demon march in step, as Jangir spreads chaos and terror for the glory of his god. If Jangir succeeds in reopening the Abyssal Gateways in the heart of Ravilla, his demon horde would sweep away all opposition.

THE EMPIRE OF RAVILLA This elven state used to rule the whole region, but now it is an empire in name only. Ravilla lost most of its land in a long series of disastrous wars. Now the citydwelling gray elves and their wood elf allies have been driven back to their original borders. They are engaged in a life-or-death struggle with not only the forces of evil but also the crusading humans of Thalos.

THALOS Thalos was founded by human tribes fleeing from the advancing armies of Ravilla. The current queen, Almira XXI, declared a holy crusade that fired up the Thalish people. She aims to conquer the ancient lands of the human tribes, lost so long ago. Her armies, led by knights and assisted by battle clerics,enjoyed great success in their initial campaigns.

Last edited:

Express2.0

First Post
A Timeline of the Sundered Empire

? Elves in western Oerik split in two groups- wood and gray. Little communication between the two.
-1500 Abyssal gateways open in the heart of the realm now known as Ravilla, bringing forth demon hordes commanded by Yeenoghu and Baphomet. The wood elf Peramil journeys to the lands of the gray elves, who send their assistance. The Demon War begins between demons and elves.
Demon War (lasts hundreds of years)
After Demon War Gray elves charged with guarding Abyssal gateways. Wood elves return to forests.
Demon War +50 years People begin to arrive in Western Oerik. Responding to overpopulation in their southern homelands, clans of dwarves make their way up the coastline on war barges. Four waves of warriors and settlers make their way into the Sundered Empire region over the next 100 years. They settle the mountain range to the west of the elven city-states.
196 Dwarven clan leaders decide to set up a traditional monarchy, but lack a royal family. A council of military, clerical, and social leaders is formed.
206 After a decade of deliberations, the dwarven council elects clan leader Smoni as king, allowing the losing clan leaders to form noble houses. The Blessed Kingdom of Mordengard is born.
499 Abyssal gateway in Xanos opens, freeing demons once again. Attack is contained, but Grand Council of elves convenes and orders an investigation.
505 Elvish wizards report that the presence of sorcerers among elvenkind was the cause of the Xanos gate opening. Grand Council exerts more power, and outlaws sorcery.
510 For the last five years, mage hunters have targeted sorcerers among the elves, forcing them to either renounce their ways or be exiled.
513 The mage-hunter Trigorian is elected to the Grand Council. He urges the Council on to even greater persecution and spurs the nation to war.
515 War breaks out as sorcerers are hunted and hounded among nearby nations.
525 Elvish city-states permanently unified as the Empire of Ravilla. Grand Council members become Oligarchs.
531 Three human tribes, led by Almira of the Strongbow, reaches the coast of western Oerik and set out for the island of Thalos.
535 Sorcerer purge has run its course, leaving the elves in control of most of western Oerik.
Humans have by now gained control of Thalos from the kobolds, but the war continues.
541 The war with the kobolds has ended, with their survivors having fled underground. The Scouring of Thalos is complete, and Almira is crowned queen.
550 Island nation of Thalos is assaulted, but Queen Almira’s inspirational leadership turns the elvish forces aside at the Battle of the Bloody Tide.
552-698 Elven Peace instituted.
575 Queen Almira dies, and is succeeded by her daughter.
602 Kobolds assault Thalos, having recovered underground over the last 60 years.
759 Dwarfish expedition exploring the mountains east of Ravilla encounter the god Stratis, who leads them to a hidden elvish city. Alarmed, the gray elves slay all but one of the dwarf scouts. The War of Spite begins.
780 War of Spite ends in a draw, as both Mordengard and Ravilla cannot continue to field forces.
852 Oligarchs of Ravilla create a human ruled puppet state- Govis- in order to free resources and reduce their borders.
909 Dwarves overthrow Hakon the Tyrant King, establish the People's State of Mordengard.
944 Queen Almira XIX orders the invasion of Govis, which is led by Godfrey, knight of Stratis.
950-1005 Period of constant skirmishes between all the nations of the Sundered Empire. The Free States begin to form as the puppet state of Govis begins to disintegrate during this period of conflict.
1008 Drazen’s Horde sweeps into the Sundered Empire.
1009 Adventurers slay Stratis, plunging the Sundered Empire into warfare.
1022 Godswar ends in stalemate-Present Day

Last edited:

Express2.0

First Post
Deities and Pantheon info

As the campaign takes place in the west of the continent of Oerik, the "default" gods of Greyhawk (Ie the default pantheon of 3.0 D&D) are recognized by the nations of the Sundered Empire, with specific emphasis on the nations of the PCs::

Stern Alia- patron goddess of Thalos- is mother of Stratis, Hextor and Hieronious.Other lawfulor good human gods such as Pelor may be recognized but Alia is paramount.

Corellon Larethian is the patron deity of Ravilla.

Yondalla is the patron of the Free States

Moradin is patron of Mordengard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases