Recruitment/OOC for Star Trek + Savage Worlds game.

Tokell32

Villager
It'd be nice if the telepathy at short range could be free, or maybe if communicating with another telepath, it becomes free. What do you think?

I think the super powers / gifted arcane edge could work pretty well. It represents innate abilities (and gives a bit more versatility in using them). That said, one of the conceits of the system is that powers use power points. It means that vulcans are going to have to buy the trait to be psionic (which more or less tracks with what we see, paragon/experianced vulcans are the ones who do the psionic stuff. But lets go ahead and say that gifted / psionic power edges are in. Psionics in the game are going to conform to the books instead of the series, those mental links over hundreds of miles (or light years) are gone. Most psionic contacts (mental links) have to start in the feet range and can go to a few miles on the outside. I think 'true telepaths' think deltans and betazoids would end up taking extra power point edges (or perhaps gain a bonus to 'shorting' specific powers, a +1 to shorting telepathy would go a long way to psychic efficiency).

That said, my idea of a Vulcan Race (in SWADE) would be something like

Vulcans were, on average, three times physically stronger, Oddly enough it is kind of in lore as smart guys but in the basic description I can't find anything that would mean they are overall smarter so much as culturally inclined towards it.

+1 Strength Die / Strength Cap (starts as d6 / cap D12+1)
Acclimated to Desert - +4 to rolls to resist heat / head based environmental effects.
Major Vow: Follower of Surak
Racial Enemy - Romulans
Hinderance - Arrogant
Vulcan Nerve Pinch - May make an attack to knock out susceptible humanoids
Psionic Edges are allowed

This seems to catch the high points of being a vulcan, the strength and mind meld isn't modeled perfectly but I think its a reasonable build. The only thing I waffled on a little was Racial Enemy Romulans (I thought Andorians honestly first) just because you can go a long time without seeing a Romulan in Star Trek but let me know what you think, Tellerites and Andorians should be fairly straight forward if this lands.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Cool, looks good. What about Betazoids? I'm thinking that it'd make more sense for an empath to be Betazoid, or maybe Andorian, but I'm less familiar with Andorians.

Also, what's the gifted arcane edge? I can't find source material about it? is it like the sorcery background here?
Sorry for the newbie questions ;-)
Cheers,

SG

Tokell32

Villager
Cool, looks good. What about Betazoids? I'm thinking that it'd make more sense for an empath to be Betazoid, or maybe Andorian, but I'm less familiar with Andorians.

Also, what's the gifted arcane edge? I can't find source material about it? is it like the sorcery background here?
Sorry for the newbie questions ;-)
Cheers,

SG
Gifted is the "Super powers" of adventurer edition. They put in a generic skill (focus) to use them but its otherwise pretty much the same. As for Betazoid it may just be losing the extra edge that humans get for a generic bonus to Psionic Abilities. I'll knock something around in a bit.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
You could just give them the mentalist edge for free, this way Gifted/SuperHeroes can take it (it has Arcane Background(psionics) as requirement). Just a thought.
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey folks,

I still here! Baby was born yesterday (healthy baby boy, 8.1 lbs ;-) so it’s been hectic. Pls give me a few more days and I’ll give these characters a jab.
Cheers,

sg

Hades#2

Explorer
Are you still looking for players? I have been a trek fan since watching the original series in the 60's as a kid. Lately I've been watching Picard and Lower Decks on Paramount+. I have Savage Worlds (a couple of versions) and played the FASA edition in the 80's and 90's.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Are you still looking for players? I have been a trek fan since watching the original series in the 60's as a kid. Lately I've been watching Picard and Lower Decks on Paramount+. I have Savage Worlds (a couple of versions) and played the FASA edition in the 80's and 90's.
It’d be great to have someone with Savage worlds experience! Welcome!
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Are skills anything appropriate for the setting like navigation, computers, medical, warp drive engineering, etc?
It’s open at this point (I think) so feel free to generate a character. @Tokell32, care to comment?

fyi, I’ve severely underestimated the amounting free time I would have during my paternity leave & haven’t had time yet to sit down to crunch my fist character. It’s still on my to do list.
Cheers,

SG

Remove ads