Red Hand of Doom 4.0

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I have the same question - my RHoD 4e is still looming on the horizon, but i´d really make it possible, if i can. Updates would be much appreciated.

And mykelsss - that map is 10 kinds of awesome. :lol:

corwyn77

Adventurer
Preparing my first actual 4e campaign, having run H1 and currently playing H2 and another original game, I struck on RHoD after perusing Scales of War and then discovered this thread. Great work, everybody. While I find a lot of the general work helpful, especially breaking down a lot of the encounters, it's less directly useful to me.

I'll be running this as a sequel to an old Realms game that originally used BESM. We eventually came to a consensus that the reasonable level to stat the characters at would be 11. So I'm adapting the adventure a bit higher. On the upside, many of the humanoids from previous editions have been upscaled quite a bit so using hobgoblins doesn't require too much extra work. A healthy mix of giant-kin and ogres added in and I'm off and running.

Are there any obvious speed bumps I should be aware of?

mykelsss

First Post
Hah, now that someone actually took notice of it I might start up mapping again. My campaign has been delayed until next week so soon I'll have to start work on it again. I believe I've got Vaath Keep about 1/2 done.

The Madhatter

First Post
Preparing my first actual 4e campaign, having run H1 and currently playing H2 and another original game, I struck on RHoD after perusing Scales of War and then discovered this thread. Great work, everybody. While I find a lot of the general work helpful, especially breaking down a lot of the encounters, it's less directly useful to me.

I'll be running this as a sequel to an old Realms game that originally used BESM. We eventually came to a consensus that the reasonable level to stat the characters at would be 11. So I'm adapting the adventure a bit higher. On the upside, many of the humanoids from previous editions have been upscaled quite a bit so using hobgoblins doesn't require too much extra work. A healthy mix of giant-kin and ogres added in and I'm off and running.

Are there any obvious speed bumps I should be aware of?
I'm doing something very similar. I'm running through the current H-series (currently midway through H2) and I plan using RHOD as my paragon module. Ideally, it'd take the PCs from around 11 to 20. I'm going to use the awesome stuff posted here and level it up a bit.

Thanks to all those who put work into this. I'll certainly be using a lot of the prepared monsters, with some minor tweaks. I'll ditch the hydra for example, and throw a shambling mound encounter at the party (not least because I have a shambling mound mini :))

One thing that might interest prospective DMs of a 4E Red Hand of Doom campaign. With just a little tweaking the recently published Dungeon adventure, Remains of the Empire, serves as a lovely introductory module ahead of the campaign proper.

En route to Fort Vraath the party pass through the village of Elkridge, and come across the warwing drakes (Greenspawn Razorfiend), found and farmed by Bejik. Interrogation of the ghostly dragonborn Vrak reveals that Bejik has had dealings with a certain eagle-mounted goblin ranger and his black dragon companion, who have been transporting many of the uncovered eggs away to the west. The black dragon has also been taught the Mindshape ritual, creating a second hatchery at some undisclosed location.

(DM knowledge only: Wyrmlord Saarvith has convinced Bejik that he shares the dragonborn's mad dreams of the restoration of Arkhosia, and has therefore gained a powerful addition to the Red Hand's forces.)

So the adventure creates some nice foreshadowing of the Wyrmlord Saarvith chapter, and introduces the party to the history of the dragonborn. That history should resonate nicely when we reach the later final chapter of the RhoD (which I will be running as the penultimate chapter, as suggested elsewhere in this thread), and may even serve as a suitable springboard to a post-RhoD campain arc at Paragon tier: an investigation into the secrets behind the conclusion to the Arkhosia/ Bael Turath war based on secrets uncovered in the Chapter 5 dungeoncrawl, for example.

Turtlejay

First Post
Such awesome work. We never got to finish our 3.5 Red Hand of Doom. It might be fun to give it a whirl with 4e. Maybe if this current group falls apart.

Jay

Falstyr

First Post
I'm going to run RHOD 4e soon and been reading the original module as well as the conversion pdf's provided from this thread. It looks great, but some things are indeed ready to be updated for a 1.0 full version with all the errata's and monsters/skills.

Hags can now be replaced by their proper monsters. Summoning for the Abishai's can be added. Heck I'd even like to see some usage of the war standards and banners from the Adventurer's Vault. Imagine the RHoD army gaining some bonus from their banners and the Brindol forces gaining bonuses from the Lion's of Brindol war standards that the PC's can place strategically. Perhaps even add a skill challenge to motivate the troops in the upcoming battle against the horde invasion.

These adjustments can be made by myself, but would be great adjustments for everyone I'm sure.

As for XP distribution and leveling up. I don't see a good reason with RHoD to do this. Wouldn't it be wiser to only use the XP's to gauge encounters and to have an estimate what level the PC's must be at key points? That way you can auto-level them at a set time and make sure they are strong enough. It would also reduce the need to fight every battle for the XP and just play the module to its fullest. Retreat and working around an encounter becomes a viable option without the risk of getting behind on XP. In an adventure like this...it feels better to get more out of the story and overall experience.

Hah, now that someone actually took notice of it I might start up mapping again. My campaign has been delayed until next week so soon I'll have to start work on it again. I believe I've got Vaath Keep about 1/2 done.
I know it has been many months, but how did the maps and tokens come along? Any link perhaps?

Last edited:

Misalo

First Post
Maps, Maps, Maps.... Yea Maps..... :)

Remove ads