D&D 5E Red Hand of Doom

I plan to run RHoD once I complete a homebrew that will encompass the first 5 levels. I am seeding the homebrew adventure so that the characters accidentally 'open the gates' for Azarr Kul and his horde. The first dungeon is designed to reflect the final delve in RHoD, hopefully inspiring some 'aha' moments. I would love to collaborate on some conversions, although I tend to 'wing' my stats quite a bit. It would be good to get some basic stats for each type of 'special' hobgoblin as well as the named villains. I have never run RHoD, but I have drooled over it for quite some time.
Also, I really like the idea of flipping the 4th and 5th chapter. Definitely raises the stakes. Just important that it is set up so that the pc's actions in the Fane of Tiamat actually impact the game world, such as weakening Tiamat's avatar or something to that effect.
It seems that most magic items would need to be stripped and I would likely eliminate any non-key encounters. I hand-wave my xp system (use 100 points for each level and dole out as I see fit, including rewards for RP and general badassery). Also, I would probably alter the spell casting monsters and just give them 4e style spell powers that don't require looking things up.
I'd be glad to collaborate and hear ideas.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Absolutely loved that adventure. I think it is one of the few (maybe only) campaigns we actually concluded!

I loved the sandbox feel to it. I have never been big on balancing every fight, so I liked the mix on offer, even though we ran it in 4E. Very easy to very hard. I dropped most NPC/creature magic items and would do so for 5E.

I would also just make do with 5E creatures from the MM. For eg in 3E some hobgoblins would have been given fighter levels. I wouldn't bother. Normal hobgoblins are more of a threat for longer in 5E. If tempted, just give them a feat or something. i would avoid boosting hit points etc - higher level PCs should drop hobs easily.

Anyway, if interested, i put together a Setting Page for 'our' Elsir Vale. There is also an Adventure Log. etc. Oh, and like others we played out the Fane before the City War...but that was ALL chosen by the players after gathering info. THEY decided to go there first. From there the portal opened ABOVE the city and the PCs had to jump through to follow Tiamat on the attack. (Fortunately, the elves they helped earlier were at the battle with their G owls and caught the party on their fall.

Anyway, you can read about it on our Elsir Vale site (and see what you like of the surrounding regions I created randomly with my Realms Creation Docs).

http://elsirvale.wikidot.com/

\m/ Connors

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I would have been happy if WotC just updated this adventure for 5e instead of farming out HotDQ/RoT. Perhaps included a few encounter areas for lower level PCs. One of the best adventures we played in the 3e era.

Skyscraper

Explorer
I plan on playing a modified version of RHoD where humanoids, disciples of the old god of creation itself, will be back to conquer the vale (a different vale, but the concept remains the same).

What I love about RHoD is the cast of characters; the steady advance of enemies putting a concrete timeline on actions; the fact that PC actions will have an impact on alliances and big battles; and the overall feel of the adventure. Certainly one of the best I've read. This said... hobgoblins and Tiamat... Again? Not for me. So I'll change the grunts and the BBEG.

I like the comments here about chapter 5. I'll consider that as I make my way through the adventure, set to start after summertime I'd say. I've started working on the environment (vale, people living in it) so I'm not converting anything yet. I'll try to follow this, and possibly contribute if it fits, but (1) I write in French) and (2) I'll use different bad guys, to some extent. I'll probably use as much MM stuff as I can to reduce creature design work, except for rare NPCs that I'll probably make up from scratch.

Meliath1742

First Post
I have some fond memories of running RHoD. My players probably less so. They started calling me "the DM of death" afterwards.

I can see why. We are running thru this module right now and it seems like we are overwhelmed in virtually every encounter! Even the random stuff is taxing us to the limit. We just had to "Run Away!" from a hydra that guarded a little bridge...gheesh! Still fun though :)

Grakarg

Explorer
We did our first session of my conversion and it went off reasonably well. Plenty more roleplaying, discussion and exploration than most people were used to doing in 4th ed, which I like. Haven't yet gotten out of Drellin's Ferry, but thats just fine since it will make it easier for the 5th player to rejoin.

So far, encounters that were 2-3 EL's above the party level under 3.5 rules have been falling into the borderline of difficult and deadly under the 5e exp budget.

I now have a copy of the 5e DMG, making my conversions of some of the encounters easier, although some seem like they might be much much harder. For example, a certain bugbear sorcerer now has 80+ hp and green scaly skin/dragon like features from his sorc class features. He should be a real beast when the party runs into him.

We're all still learning the ins and outs of the new rules, so I expect to tweak some of the stats on the fly.

But for converting the encounters here are my general thoughts so far (work in progress):
Look at the existing encounter, and try to match the theme/style of encounter if you can't match it exactly. Was it fairly 'easy' or 'hard' under the old rules? Big boss or liutenant fight with lots o' friends?

When possible, drag and drop the new version of the monster. That just makes it easy on you as a DM

I've decided that these clerics of Tiamat have the War domain, not the Trickery domain as it seems more appropriate.

For treasure. I'm dropping each +1 of a weapon or armor down a level. So +2 weapons are +1, and all the +1 weapons everyone seems to be carrying are now just normal. Dropping MW weapons/armor entirely (but instead just mentioning that they are of high quality and perhaps worth selling as loot). Most of the magic items are being removed, unless they seem important to an encounter, or am personalizing them for the PC's as loot. Or replace with some extra consumables (potions/scrolls are you friend!)

I'll write something up once we get several sessions under our belts, but that won't be for a bit.

pukunui

Legend
I can see why. We are running thru this module right now and it seems like we are overwhelmed in virtually every encounter! Even the random stuff is taxing us to the limit. We just had to "Run Away!" from a hydra that guarded a little bridge...gheesh! Still fun though :)
Yep. That was my group's experience with it too. In our opinion, it reads a lot better than it plays. That being said, my group sucked at tactics. For instance, even though they knew they were heading into a swamp in search of some drowned ruins at one point, they made absolutely no preparations for the difficult terrain, which cost them dearly. I also made the mistake of using the optional black dragonspawn assassins ambush encounter. Only one PC survived.

Dropping MW weapons/armor entirely (but instead just mentioning that they are of high quality and perhaps worth selling as loot).
Glad to hear your conversion is going well so far. On a side note, your comment that I quoted gave me the idea that masterwork items could merely be things that are not only worth selling but might also fetch a decent price, whereas normal stuff won't.

DaveDash

Explorer
Yep. That was my group's experience with it too. In our opinion, it reads a lot better than it plays. That being said, my group sucked at tactics. For instance, even though they knew they were heading into a swamp in search of some drowned ruins at one point, they made absolutely no preparations for the difficult terrain, which cost them dearly. I also made the mistake of using the optional black dragonspawn assassins ambush encounter. Only one PC survived.

Back in 3.5 my group didn't have too much difficulty with the module (at least part 1 and 2), but they were often left wondering what to do next. This module really is for self-driven groups. When I run it again (for 5e), I will be sure to add in much more NPC dialogue that what is presented to help 'nudge' them in a particular direction.

If anything I think this module will run better in 5e than in 3e, due to bounded accuracy.

Remove ads