D&D 5E Red Hand of Doom

pukunui

Legend
Back in 3.5 my group didn't have too much difficulty with the module (at least part 1 and 2), but they were often left wondering what to do next. This module really is for self-driven groups. When I run it again (for 5e), I will be sure to add in much more NPC dialogue that what is presented to help 'nudge' them in a particular direction.
I don't recall my group having any trouble following the leads. It was more just that they were constantly unprepared for what they were facing.

If anything I think this module will run better in 5e than in 3e, due to bounded accuracy.
I can see that. This thread is actually kinda making me want to try it again.

Meliath1742

First Post
Yep. That was my group's experience with it too. In our opinion, it reads a lot better than it plays. That being said, my group sucked at tactics. For instance, even though they knew they were heading into a swamp in search of some drowned ruins at one point, they made absolutely no preparations for the difficult terrain, which cost them dearly. I also made the mistake of using the optional black dragonspawn assassins ambush encounter. Only one PC survived.

Glad to hear your conversion is going well so far. On a side note, your comment that I quoted gave me the idea that masterwork items could merely be things that are not only worth selling but might also fetch a decent price, whereas normal stuff won't.
Well, to be honest our group is lacking in experience...out of 5 players I'm the only veteran. The other 5 are new to D&D and simply don't have any real tactical/rpg experience. So there are decisions being made that make me cringe! As the last one to join the fledgling group I decided to play the cleric since no one else wanted to. And of course due to everyone playing more exotic classes (mage-blade, sprite sorcerer) we lack a straight up arcane caster. We're a group of 7th levels and still don't have access to a freaking fireball! Live, die, learn😂
Yep. That was my group's experience with it too. In our opinion, it reads a lot better than it plays. That being said, my group sucked at tactics. For instance, even though they knew they were heading into a swamp in search of some drowned ruins at one point, they made absolutely no preparations for the difficult terrain, which cost them dearly. I also made the mistake of using the optional black dragonspawn assassins ambush encounter. Only one PC survived.

Glad to hear your conversion is going well so far. On a side note, your comment that I quoted gave me the idea that masterwork items could merely be things that are not only worth selling but might also fetch a decent price, whereas normal stuff won't.

Meliath1742

First Post
Well, to be honest our group is lacking in experience...out of 5 players I'm the only veteran. The other 5 are new to D&D and simply don't have any real tactical/rpg experience. So there are decisions being made that make me cringe! As the last one to join the fledgling group I decided to play the cleric since no one else wanted to. And of course due to everyone playing more exotic classes (mage-blade, sprite sorcerer) we lack a straight up arcane caster. We're a group of 7th levels and still don't have access to a freaking fireball! Live, die, learn😂

The_Gneech

Explorer
I ran and loved RHoD when it came out, to the point where I gave HoDQ/RoT a serious side-eye when it was announced. The new adventure isn't as much of a rehash of it seems at first blush, but it does at least have a handy already-converted Tiamat at the end. :)

Anyway, the main sticking points of a conversion would be statting up the various spawn of Tiamat etc., but even that shouldn't be too hard with judicious reskinning. It's a great module, go for it!

-The Gneech :cool:

Blue Phoenix RPG

Publisher/Designer

mrswing

Explorer
Has this kickstarter ever been done? I can't find any mention of the finished conversion guide anywhere and haven't seen it up for sale at DMsguild.

collin

Explorer
I'm working on a 5e conversion, and will be running the first session this week.
So far for a conversion, many of the monsters are a simple drag-n-drop from the MM or online basic rules. It is a bit more difficult with the levelled humanoids, as I don't want to scale them up too much by just adding full character levels. I'm also trying to reduce the number of magic items, as many of the opponents have +X weapons/armor/etc. But on the whole, the conversion isn't too bad.

You should publish your conversion in DM's Guild.

Remove ads