Level Up (A5E) Redirect Maneuver - Can you make the attacker target itself?

Stalker0

Legend
So the redirect maneuver says that you can force the attacker to target "another creature within 5 feet".

By the book, this could be the attacker themselves, as normally you can always choose to target creatures at lower range than the maximum (take for example bless which lets you target up to 3 creatures at 30 feet, you can off course target yourself if you wish).

But is that the intention, is the maneuver designed with that in mind?

im not at home right now, so id say it depends on whether or not you can actually target yourself with an attack. if not, then no - if yes, i don't see why not.

If this is what you're aiming for, I'd totally allow it
stop-hitting-yourself-nelson-muntz.gif

Stalker0

Legend
While on the subject, when you activate the maneuver, does it use the same attack roll as the original attack, or is it a new attack roll?

Deadmanshand

Explorer
Your game, so do it however you like. Personally I do not believe RAW or RAI would indicate that you may direct the attack back to the attacker. “On a failure, you take no damage and the attack targets another creature within 5 feet.”

1. It says another creature rather than any creature within 5 feet.
2. The description states, “forced into inflicting a wound against a foe unfortunate enough to be nearby.”
3. The short description for maneuvres states “Redirect an attack to strike an adjacent creature.”

Remove ads