D&D (2024) Reducing ability score impact.

mellored

Legend
Ok, so this is going to kill a sacred or 2 cows but it will free up ability scores to be more of what you want. It also helps balance good ability rolls vs bad ones.

Mainly, remove +stat to hit, AC, and saves.

AC is base 15 for everyone.
Attack is +5 to hit, and +3 damage, scaling by level.
DC is 13, scaling by level.
Saves are +0 scaling by level. Proficiency is saves is +3.

*or there about.

These can all be modified by class features (i.e. fighting styles). Fighters getting +1 to hit and AC, Paladins getting +2 to all saves, Sorcerers get +1 to spell DC, whatever. And magic armor and weapons too.

Ability scores are used with class features, fears, and (and skills). Great weapon master can add +Str to damage. Wizards prepare extra spells with Int. Monks can add Dex to speed. Etc..

Ideally, each class should have a light use for at least 2 ability scores.
I.e.
Bards might get to prepared +int spells. +Cha as the minimum of inspiration dice rolls. And one subclasses get +Str to damage while another can use +Dex to move allies around.

Last edited:

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
One of the best ways to squish the effect of stats I've seen is to just compress modifiers. For example, in the X Without Number games by Sine Nomine, the stat to modifier sequence goes like this:

3: -2
4-7: -1
8-13: +0
14-17: +1
18: +2

This way, your stats are still relevant to the things you want to do in the game world (saves, attacks, etc.) without having your min-maxed munchkin being so head and shoulders above everyone else.

You'd have to rework ALL the math of the game, though, and I don't foresee WotC doing something so drastic.

Shiroiken

Legend
The ability scores from BECMI would be the best way to go, but with 1D&D being backwards compatible, it's very unlikely that anything's changing on this front. At best we can hope they try to improve some of the weaker abilities and maybe put a slight nerf on Dex.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
One of the best ways to squish the effect of stats I've seen is to just compress modifiers. For example, in the X Without Number games by Sine Nomine, the stat to modifier sequence goes like this:

This way, your stats are still relevant to the things you want to do in the game world (saves, attacks, etc.) without having your min-maxed munchkin being so head and shoulders above everyone else.

You'd have to rework ALL the math of the game, though, and I don't foresee WotC doing something so drastic.
DCC does something similar, though it's a little broader.

3: -3
4-5: -2
6-8: -1
9-13: +0
14-15: +1
16-17: +2
18 +3

Of course, the abilities affect other things as well, such as # of spells known, highest spell level you can learn, etc. But I think it's a similar approach.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

2e did it too. It wasn't until 3.x that we started seeing anything like the super constrained ultra important attributes that 5e has. Going back to it enhances compatibility rather than creating complications though. Players use the new creak points and values, immediately room has been carves into the system to make magic items a requirement with the gm's choice to award them or not influencing difficulty accordingly rather than trivializing encounters & shattering the boundaries of BA. Monsters use the old breakpoints and numbers listed in their Stat block to preserve the need for magic items.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If you minimize ability scores, might as well remove them.

Pre3e AD&D only had ability score to determine what class you were and how good you are the class. 18 for great. 16 for good. 2 16s and you could be a special class.

Would never happen in D&D again officially.

aco175

Legend
I'm not sure what the intent is? Sound a bit like 4e where everyone used their best stat to hit and damage. Talk at the table was that is did not matter on how strong or quick you were when attacking- we had wizards being able to think where the bad guy will be and thus attack as well as the fighter and the bard talking his opponent to jump onto his sword.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What ARE you keeping ability score for? Or rather, where do they add?

It looks like you are keeping it for weapon damage, which is good so as not to create a divide for martials (who normally add) and casters (who do not), but that means it's still important to martials to do the main thing they do in combat - inflict damage.

You have features like Bardic Inspiration that are triggered off CHR - so CHR is still important for them, while for a Wizard who cares about INT? It's not used for DC anymore or many features.

How about having a by-level mod you use for all of these, and just remove ability scores all together.

Last edited:

Remove ads