Regarding Dragons

Tony Vargas

Legend
What's everyone else's take on Colour-Coded dragons in D&D / Pathfinder? Do you agree that they're a bit outdated? Or is there an elegance there that I'm missing?
I suppose it's been 45 years, all things D&D may be a tad outdated.

An alternative could be elemental correspondence: Fire, Cloud, Earthquake, & River dragons, for instance. Or, Stone, Earth, Metal, Wood, Void? (is that right?)

...or, dragons /could/ just be really big warm-blooded saurian hexapods, who don't even breath fire. Or Big Durn Snakes (maybe that do breath fire, or more likely, have really nasty venom). Or actual dinosaurs.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In my system, dragons come in a couple basic types.

The dragons of Chevar are mortal creatures of humanoid intelligence, most breath fire, and they can form powerful psychic bonds with other mortal creatures.

These dragons have travelled via Crossroads to many other worlds, and form some of the legends of dragons as scary megafauna.

The Great Dragons are not mortal, and are more similar to dnd’s gods and powers. They are beings of immense power.

In dnd, I tend to treat dragons as a sentient mortal race with many phenotypes. The alignment stuff just doesn’t exist at all.

Remove ads