• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reign of Steel - 1(W) Damage ????

Mirtek

Hero
Bonuses that specify attack range (i.e. melee) don't work, either. So no Iron Armbands. Of the most common bonuses to damage, you are left with enhancement bonuses and weapon focus.
You are correct, but actually "melee" is not the attack range, it's the attack type. The attack range is listed after the attack type.

E.g. a "melee weapon" attack is attack type "melee" with range "weapon"

Yeah, you can miss out on SOME damage bonuses, but you still get by far enough. Considering that the damage is automatic and affects all enemies that get close to you and requires no actions it is a downright vicious power. Drop it on a 20 STR fighter swinging an execution axe or a mordenkrad. It is really not at all funny! Combine with things like Come and Get it, or drop it on your Warden and just mire the enemy adjacent to you. Heck, you hardly need to attack them really. Works quite well with any of the 'tarpit' type polearm builds too, though the damage is a tad less with a glaive than with a big axe.

pemerton

Legend
Yeah, you can miss out on SOME damage bonuses, but you still get by far enough. Considering that the damage is automatic and affects all enemies that get close to you and requires no actions it is a downright vicious power.
I know that the power (or, to satisfy MerricB, the power Rain of Steel) has a good reputation. But the fighter in my group retrained it after a couple of levels because he found he was moving around too much, and not getting enough surrounding enemies, to make it work.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It is a very situational power, especially depending on the tactics your DM uses against you. It rather hates minions, of course (and shows how weak minions can be).

It gets better when the battle gets bigger.

Cheers!

Riastlin

First Post
It is a very situational power, especially depending on the tactics your DM uses against you. It rather hates minions, of course (and shows how weak minions can be).

It gets better when the battle gets bigger.

Cheers!

I will second this to an extent. It is also a power that requires a bit of teamwork to really pull off. If the fighter's allies can keep the monsters near the fighter it makes it really good. If your party likes to scatter the instant initiative is rolled, its going to be rather less effective.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads