Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

Another thing to consider somewhat. A new player interested in PF2e will more than likely visit Amazon to purchase the core book than the Paizo site itself. Everyone knows Amazon, you can find nearly anything on there. The Paizo site is daunting if you've never visited it before too. Saying all that to say dont disregard the Amazon sales so easily. Hardcore fans will no doubt buy directly from Paizo. The friend you introduced the game to will go to Amazon. I think Amazon is a good market for newer players IMO.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Another thing to consider somewhat. A new player interested in PF2e will more than likely visit Amazon to purchase the core book than the Paizo site itself. Everyone knows Amazon, you can find nearly anything on there. The Paizo site is daunting if you've never visited it before too. Saying all that to say dont disregard the Amazon sales so easily. Hardcore fans will no doubt buy directly from Paizo. The friend you introduced the game to will go to Amazon. I think Amazon is a good market for newer players IMO.

People tend to be pretty mercenary, so while some will buy direct or through the FLGS, Amazon is going to be a huge chunk of sales for any book.

gss000

Explorer
Paizo has been pairing down for a while. For instance I think the administration of PFS is only a part of someone’s job now.

Also it looks like the pf2 core book sales have kinda stabilized. Which probably means they can find a groove and be good.

Finally the setting book sold out of stock, and sustained a sales rank in the 14000. So my guess is that they are on the bubble about how many books they needed.
I don't think you can say it's stabalized yet. In the past week it's gone up and down anywhere from 1900 to over 3000 and back in the sales rank. That's a lot of swing. Look at it like the stock market where it's never monotonic one way or the other. It'll still be some weeks before we know what the stable point is.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I honestly think it will probably be another year before we really know where things stand for the long term. Right now many folks are just starting to get games together and try it. The real success or failure of the game is going to come down to actual play and word of mouth.

Additionally the Advanced Player's Guide is a really important book. Their success or failure with a large portion of the Pathfinder community is going to depend a lot on their execution of this book. It has a couple of classes (The Witch and The Oracle) that many Pathfinder fans find foundational. It also represents a critical mass of content that many Pathfinder players who want an option rich environment might find compelling.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think you can say it's stabalized yet. In the past week it's gone up and down anywhere from 1900 to over 3000 and back in the sales rank. That's a lot of swing. Look at it like the stock market where it's never monotonic one way or the other. It'll still be some weeks before we know what the stable point is.

Keep in mind that this wavering might not mean much in terms of units sold per day.

Zardnaar

Legend
With sales in the 3000s I think a previous poster said it means they're selling units in the 10's.

If that's true if we all went and bought a copy on the same day we could probably kick it up 1000 spaces.

I've seen things that say Amazon is around 30 to 50% of all sales so even if they're selling 30 a day that's 35000 a year roughly which is what PF1 seemed to have averaged. It was out for ten years.

If they're selling half of PF one that could be as low as 15 or 20 a day. 50 copies a day on Amazon sustained can give you 1E D&D sales over 10 years.

People see a high sales placing and think omg huge numbers. If 5E sales of the starter set are a benchmark and Amazon is 50% of sales they only need to sell 200 a day to hit 800k over 5 years. IDK if Amazon is 50% but it was what $10-$12 at some points.

Peak Pathfinder was about 20% of 5E going by the estimates of the RPG market.

Zardnaar

Legend
What is funny if we all chipped in some money to get one US poster to buy 10 copies at a certain time and see if that has an effect on the sales ranking.

Remove ads