Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree with you but its also the same argument for why TSR put out so many settings that popular consensus says was their downfall.
Nah, that's a different thing. That's about entire product lines designed to not interact with each other, thus - as you say - splitting the customer base. Everything Paizo does with Pathfinder is one product line, and suitable for all of their customers. While not everybody will buy everything, there's nothing that's useless to them by design.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I doubt it is that. It is tied to purchase events, not shipping dates.
I do think that a lot less people are buying gaming books right now though.

It's not a purchase event until the credit card is charged. It's not a credit card charged until it's slated to ship, With deprioritized shipping, that means it's not listed as a purchase event until later.

darjr

I crit!
That was part of the problem. But it was an ingredient in a recipe of issues. I’d argue that one of the bigger ones was pricing things not knowing how much they cost to make. Or using their distributor as a defacto bank.

darjr

I crit!
I agree with you but its also the same argument for why TSR put out so many settings that popular consensus says was their downfall.

Also seems to be the point of the thread so I was chiming in because I saw some discussing the recent dips and wanted to put some insight onto that. Threw out some speculation.
Thanks for that input! It’s nice to know a bit more about what’s going on. Info is hard to get and confirm.

BryonD

Hero
It's not a purchase event until the credit card is charged. It's not a credit card charged until it's slated to ship, With deprioritized shipping, that means it's not listed as a purchase event until later.
Nothing I've seen suggests that Amazon uses that for the tracking.
But either way, do you think this is the cause of the ranking shift we are seeing?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
But either way, do you think this is the cause of the ranking shift we are seeing?

Yes, I do think it is the cause. And you heard it right here from a guy working at Amazon who said 1) that's how it works, and 2) that he thinks that is the reason. I mean, why are you doubting him?

dave2008

Legend
FYI, in the post you original quoted and dismissed @teitan informed us that he/she works for Amazon and was explain how indeed the items are tracked. Prehaps he/she doesn't really know this, but he/she superficially has more authority on the subject than you or I.

dave2008

Legend
Nah, that's a different thing. That's about entire product lines designed to not interact with each other, thus - as you say - splitting the customer base. Everything Paizo does with Pathfinder is one product line, and suitable for all of their customers. While not everybody will buy everything, there's nothing that's useless to them by design.
But aren't PF1 and PF2 really different product lines? I mean if I was playing PF2 I wouldn't continue purchasing PF1 content and vice versa. That is what @teitan was talking about I thought

BryonD

Hero
FYI, in the post you original quoted and dismissed @teitan informed us that he/she works for Amazon and was explain how indeed the items are tracked. Prehaps he/she doesn't really know this, but he/she superficially has more authority on the subject than you or I.
Ok, same question. Do you think this is materially changing the rankings?

Remove ads