Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh! Good point!

How does that get made available? Does roll20 do it? Or Paizo? Is it there already?

Roll20 does it, but I think they officially work with Paio & WotCz, among others.

The main theory for the "Other" in there is that it is 5E and PF, mainly, using custom fan made PC sheets instead of the official products.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Oh! Good point!

How does that get made available? Does roll20 do it? Or Paizo? Is it there already?

Somebody has to build it. Since Pathfinder 2 is fully OGL there might end up being several options just like there are already several character builders. I suspect there will also be an official sheet.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Somebody has to build it. Since Pathfinder 2 is fully OGL there might end up being several options just like there are already several character builders. I suspect there will also be an official sheet.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that last one is coming, or already available possibly.

Markh3rd

Explorer
At PAX West many vendors I asked said they weren't selling their stock and they thought it was mostly due to low awareness of the new edition. The Avernus miniature collection sold out. Peripherals like dice and dice bags sold alot. 5e players handbook, the Acquisition Inc. book, and Ghosts of saltmarsh limited cover were selling well.

But PAX is heavy on D&D and has alot of representation there so that's not surprising. The PF society games we saw listed there for signups were PF1 games. And those were free play games. D&D AL had it's own room and so did the Acquisition Inc. game room.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
At PAX West many vendors I asked said they weren't selling their stock and they thought it was mostly due to low awareness of the new edition. The Avernus miniature collection sold out. Peripherals like dice and dice bags sold alot. 5e players handbook, the Acquisition Inc. book, and Ghosts of saltmarsh limited cover were selling well.

But PAX is heavy on D&D and has alot of representation there so that's not surprising. The PF society games we saw listed there for signups were PF1 games. And those were free play games. D&D AL had it's own room and so did the Acquisition Inc. game room.

The game is more niche, by it's nature.

darjr

I crit!
Buhlman held a panel there and posted a photo. It looked like a decent turnout.

And I think I noticed a friend of mine in the front row! He neglected to tell me he was there........

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Finally saw the books today at Barnes and Noble.

There was the PF2 Core book (which only said second edition in small letters upper right corner). And the PF2 Core book, different cover (I saw no indication it was intended as a special limited edition on the cover - it literally looked to have the identical title to the other one). And PF1 books, some of which were clearly player focused and could have also been a starting place for a player.

If I were new and looking to pick up PF....I would have no clue what to buy. It looked like three different books all with essentially the same title.

And the "correct" book (the regular PF2 core) looked like a textbook. Literally, the binding and thickness and measurement of it looked very much like a text book from college to me.

This...does not seem like wise marketing to me. In the very least, it should be clear which book to buy if I am new, from the cover.

Looking at the 5e section, it was obvious what to buy if I am new. A big box which said "D&D Starter Set", with sub heading of "Everything you need to start playing." And once I bought that, the Essentials boxed set was an obvious next purchase, as it said right on the box "Everything you need to create characters and play new adventures".

I am sure PF2 will get a starter set. But I am surprised they didn't...START with the starter set, like 5e did. I really think I'd be lost of I were new and trying to go buy PF2 right now. Particularly the two identical books, identical titles, different covers, different binding, nobody to ask what to buy (since this was Barnes and Noble, not a game store), and then all those player oriented books in the same section which are actually PF1 books.

As for the interior of the book, I flipped through it. I now see what people meant by "Looks like 4e". At least presentation-wise, the layout and format looks like 4e. Which is not a bad thing (I liked 4e) but it's definitely a choice which will turn off some people who prefer the exploration and story-oriented style to the more textbook style of this format (which matches the textbook look of the book itself).

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Different goals drove their decisions. Are they good goals, I dunno. What goals? I’m not sure if that either.

I think they wanted to have something for their core, knowledgeable, audience first. Then look to expand with intro material. That’s my guess anyway.

darjr

I crit!
PF2 is at 1537, PHB is at 60, starter set is at 23 though that may be in a different category.

53B71EA1-8870-4D0F-A4E5-6208555D44A4.jpeg
006F824E-340F-4643-83E5-4C53F831BA95.jpeg
9F534C9F-A648-4008-A640-65A381C3713B.jpeg

Remove ads