Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

Green Onceler

Explorer
Yes, you could just say ' use the SRD' but I've never actually met anyone who does that.

Really? Every Pathfinder player I know uses the SRD all the time.

I own a lot of Pathfinder books. But it is so much more practical to just search things out on the SRD rather than plodding through a huge pile of dead tree for that specific feat or spell you want.

Blimey. I’ve never met a Pathfinder player who doesn’t.

So, there are people who use the SRD. Mind you, if everyone uses the SRD how are Paizo going to make any money from the core rulebook? That doesn't sound very intuitive to me. It might have worked for 1e but Paizo need to sell core rulebooks now.

Green Onceler

Explorer
Mind you, if everyone uses the SRD how are Paizo going to make any money from the core rulebook?

I own a lot of Pathfinder books. But it is so much more practical to just search things out on the SRD rather than plodding through a huge pile of dead tree for that specific feat or spell you want.

Like this, I guess. I could theoretically play for free. However, I want to support the company who created the game which I am enjoying. So, I buy books and use the SRD. Like every other player I know.

Like this, I guess. I could theoretically play for free. However, I want to support the company who created the game which I am enjoying. So, I buy books and use the SRD. Like every other player I know.

O.K., question answered.

The reason why I've never seen anyone use the SRD is because, in my neck of the woods (London, UK), Pathfinder has been wiped out of existence by 5e and every 5e player I've seen has a copy of the PHB. New players have their own copies of the PHB. Everyone wants to play 5e. I'm sure Pathfinder is still being played but not in any of the major meetups I'm aware of.

Does PF2E have a new version of the SRD and, more importantly, is it easy to find and widely advertised? Would a new potential player of PF2E know they could use an SRD when faced with a wall of books? How would they know about an SRD if they are not forum readers like us? Probably the majority of potential new players would not be reading online forums. The SRD doesn't seem to me to be the answer to recruiting new players when faced with the wall of books.

I'm sure most Pathfinder players on this forum do use the SRD but this isn't about you - for PF2E to thrive Paizo needs to attract new blood; most of them aren't going to be thinking about an SRD when choosing a game. They will be thinking 'there's D&D which everyone plays and is being streamed all over the internet and I only need the PHB or this Essentials Starter kit Or there's this other game with the massive rulebook that looks just like some other older rulebooks but I also need this and that other book as well?'

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Around here every player seems to have the PHB. It is kinda different from editions before. Where one in three did not and always would be borrowing or reading off their phone. Around here even those running on thier phone have a PHB

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
My experience is that Pathfinder players have the Core Rulebook in roughly the same proportion as D&D Players. In any roleplaying group I have ever been a part of there are players who have the books and players who don't. Books, PDFs, and SRDs (if available) are all used often by the same players. The Fifth Edition group I play in makes substantial use of D&D Beyond. Only our DM pays for the subscription.

I am starting campaign prep right now. Sometimes I use the books when I need to sit down and really absorb the material. Sometimes I use the SRD if I need to do a quick search. Other times I use the PDFs if I want to cross reference between books like when prepping encounters or if I am going between the World Guide and Core Book.

Much of the upcoming product catalog is very lore focused and generally speaking Pathfinder fans tend to really dig into the lore. The books are also much better at explaining and providing examples of how things work. Even for referencing rules rather than content I find the Core Rulebook better because it provides things like examples, illustrations and highlights important information. Plus they're pretty.

There are a couple different SRDs for Pathfinder 2. One is linked to on Paizo's website.

S'mon

Legend
O.K., question answered.

The reason why I've never seen anyone use the SRD is because, in my neck of the woods (London, UK), Pathfinder has been wiped out of existence by 5e and every 5e player I've seen has a copy of the PHB. New players have their own copies of the PHB. Everyone wants to play 5e. I'm sure Pathfinder is still being played but not in any of the major meetups I'm aware of.

One of the players in my Meetup is going to run some playtest sessions of PF2 in South Wimbledon from October 9th, we can take a couple extra players if anyone interested (gimme a PM) PF2 Playtest (limited spaces - please PM)

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Pathfinder Core is #26 in Fantasy Gaming Products (#3090 in All Books). I seem to recall it always being in the top 25 before, but I can't say for sure as it's not something I tracked.

The Beastiary for PF2 is #12,859. For a reference point that's right near Starfinder RPG: Alien Archive 3 at #13,676.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases