Pathfinder 2E Release Day Second Edition Amazon Sales Rank

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Well, since you tried yourself, paizo.com - Forums: Customer Service: PDF Subscription should be the correct thread where its discussed, though there have been others since.
That thread is over ten years old. Not a strong indicator as to the present impact of PDF sales.

Although it is interesting that Paizo flat out says that offering an "only PDF" subscription would likely put them out of business. I wonder if that has changed since then.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
That thread is over ten years old. Not a strong indicator as to the present impact of PDF sales.

Although it is interesting that Paizo flat out says that offering an "only PDF" subscription would likely put them out of business. I wonder if that has changed since then.
Given that they still don't have one I don't think so, specifically I would stand by it because ive read more recent discussions of it that might be a bit more time consuming to track down (by their current Marketing Manager) , and because for it to no longer be true, pdfs would have had to become a SMALLER portion of overall sales, regardless of what those overall sales were.

Speaking from a relatively recent library school education (took place in the last few years), that would be in direct opposition to the rest of the publishing world, where the profileration of devices has led to increased demand on digital formats (although counterintuitively, demand for physical books hasnt really decreased in libraries) and with RPG pdfs being a less expensive alternative to expensive hardcovers (along with pocket editions, which recently debuted for 2e) the burden of proof seems more likely to be on the "PDF sales are negligible" side of that debate.

darjr

I crit!
I totally understand your predicament, but we do not have a PDF-only subscription, and we have no plans currently to ever make one.
It pretty easy to predict what would happen if we offered a PDF-only subscription: A number of people would cancel their print sub and go PDF-only. The problem is if this number of people reaches a certain threshold, we make less money on the printed copies we do sell. At a certain point, it could happen that we stop making money on these altogether. It is selling these books in print form that keeps the doors open.
Thanks,
cos
From that thread.

This was conjecture. Not a statement on actual sales. Has nothing to do with actual “sales demand”.

it doesn’t say what you seem to want to say it does. This does not say pdf sales are larger than their book sales, either at Paizo.com or in general. Maybe I just misunderstood you.

look. I don’t have a stake in this. I WANT Paizo to be a success, I’m pretty certain they are. I also want to get an understanding of the sales. Why people have to get bent out of shape sucks.

Last edited:

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Hey thanks for the jab and then practically citing anyway.

What I do to you?
I just have a hard time maintaining boundaries under pressure, so I maintained it when you asked, and then folded shortly after when others asked-- also I was gonna go more in-depth and find the other threads and stuff for you. I just figured that would be a good starting point for Davies that took me maybe a minute and a half to find.

Also, honestly, the tone you demanded a citation in when I've yet to see any real quality information on the flip side of this debate isn't very inspiring, whereas Davies just expressed a desire to see it firsthand and that they were having trouble finding it. People asking the way you do usually seem to be playing 'gotcha' with some minor aspect of the information to spin it as invalid, or are trying to get me to play defense when their own information isn't very inspiring, so I'm kind of dragging my feet in providing because its all pretty accessible to anyone who actually wants to-- in other words, you haven't given me much to think going out of my way is a very good idea, whereas Davies has.

But incidentally to continue my trend of being awful at having boundaries, here's another link where they brought up that offering a pdf subscription would cause people to dump their physical subscriptions because the demand for the PDFs is much higher, and that most of the people who would do it 'already buy the pdfs manually' meanwhile this data IS a decade old. But in the years that would follow that statement ebook use would grow dramatically though less than some expected (although interestingly some of that was likely due to increasing adoption of audiobooks in other areas of the publishing world, which doesn't affect us, today audiobooks are VERY popular since you can do something else while you listen.)

So I have little reason to think PDF sales would be a small part of their offerings-- it doesn't have to be larger than published book sales for it to have affected a distortion in the amazon oriented data, especially since Paizo has its Subscribers and Physical Website sales, neither of which are represented through Amazon either.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases