Rel's Faded Glory II (Thanks Old One) Final Update 7/14

Rel

Liquid Awesome
At last! An update!

I appologize for my tardiness. Life just won't slow down enough to let me catch up. But here is an update and I should be able to squeeze in one more before the weekend. Thanks for your patience.

Journey to the Temple

The group set out making best speed with Speaks leading the way toward a point that was indelibly burned into his consciousness. Unfortunately, best speed was not all that great. Raven's short legs and heavy armor conspired to keep their pace to just a few miles a day through the increasingly dense forest.

"Maybe you could turn into a pony. Then I could ride you." Suggested Raven to Speaks. Speaks was not fond of the notion of playing the pack animal again any time soon. He went aside into the woods and sat in communion. The following morning he reported that he thought that the magic of nature would provide a means of transport but that it would take a few days for him to gain mastery of the spell he would need.

The group settled into camp a couple days march from Glynden. Speaks spent this time in contemplative seclusion while Raven and Scar both enjoyed the quietude of the woods in contrast to the political hotbed that Glynden had become. After three days past, Speaks announced that they were ready to move on.

He produced a finely crafted bottle which he had purchased previously and used his magic to conjure forth a plume of smoke. The smoke coalesced into an equine shape and Raven was able to mount the creature and ride at a pace considerably greater than he normally walked. Speaks transformed into an eagle and the trio set out to the northwest.

Another day passed uneventfully but on the second day after they broke camp, Speaks spotted some movement from the air. He swooped lower to the treetops which were now beginning to leaf out and saw a small pack of Gnolls and a trio of larger forms moving quickly toward the party from the flank.

Speaks landed immediately, placing himself between the oncoming humanoids and the rest of the party. He transformed back into human form just as the group came within easy bowshot of the party. "Halt, I wish to speak with you!" He bellowed.

The onrushing group showed no signs of slowing so Speaks dropped a Briar Web spell in their midst. It captured two of the Gnolls and one of the larger foes but the rest continued their approach.

Disregarding his plea to parley, two of the three largest of the approaching group charged forward and struck out with their enormous great axes. Both connected with Speaks, one with enough force to crack several bones and send the Druid reeling with pain. The third giant (just Ogres actually) managed to break free of the vines and roots that held him and moved closer to the combat, hanging back a short way.

The Gnolls who were free of the entanglement howled a battle cry and came running forward in the wake of the Ogres. The other pair struggled to get free but were rewarded only with painful wounds from the thicket of thorns that surrounded them. They decided to stay put.

Speaks staggered back away from his attackers and moved closer to Raven. This put Scar between him and his assailants and bought him a momentary measure of safety (or so he thought). Scar in turn saw the Ogre hanging back a short distance away and moved to attack. The Half-Orc moved up to the Ogre and dealt a sound blow with his hammer and deftly danced back out of reach again before the Ogre could react (Scar has picked up Spring Attack). Unfortunately this left an open lane between Speaks and the two Ogres who had done him such grievous bodily harm just seconds before. They charged again and laid Speaks low with their mighty axes.

Raven braved attacks by the Ogres to assist his friend with healing magic. His special training concerning large foes came into play and he was able to protect himself from the brunt of their blows.

The Gnolls charged the closed target, Scar and one of their axes found its way to his thigh. Ignoring the pain from the wound, Scar ignored these lesser opponents and moved up to hack at the Ogre again. He landed another blow but this time stayed with his enemy and the Ogre repaid the hit in kind.

The other Ogres continued to pound at Raven but thanks to his training and armor, he ignored most of the damage. Speaks, just barely conscious moved a short distance away and took eagle form once again.

The Gnolls quickly moved to flank Scar but could not land a blow on the dexterous Half-Orc. Scar turned his hammer on one of them and brought the Gnoll low in a single stroke. In the next few moments, he managed to down the other Gnoll and had the Ogre calling for help.

Meanwhile the pair of Ogres had finally found their rhythm and pounded Raven to within an inch of his life. One of the pair disengaged and went to help his compatriot with Scar.

All the while, Speaks was Producing Flame and raining it down on the Ogres.

Scar dealt a blow that at last knocked out the first Ogre he battled only to have him replaced by a new one. The third brought his axe crashing into Raven's breastplate, knocking him unconscious to the ground. He quickly moved to take up a flanking position around Scar.

Speaks saw that Scar was in a tight spot and landed near Raven. After transforming back to human form, he healed the Cleric of Moradin back to consciousness and then joined the fray against the Ogres. Scar had taken a punishing toll on one of them but had paid the price in blood. Clearly he could not last much longer against the pair.

But then, a lucky shot took down one of the Ogres and Speaks attacked from the flank. Where a moment ago, the Ogre had enjoyed a two on one advantage, he now was outnumbered. He struck a desperate blow against Scar and was rewarded with seeing the warrior crumple to the ground. But just then, Speaks thrust The Fang of Arc at him from behind. The spear point ran into his back and protruded out his chest. The Ogre fell dead with a look of surprise on his face.

Speaks quickly used his healing wand on Scar and the group sat around panting from their exertions in a battle that had seen all three of them to the brink of death. (This was the near TPK that I mentioned in the old thread.) More healing was applied and the group approached the edge of the Briar Web where the other pair of Gnolls remained entrapped.

One of the Gnolls called out, "I know who you are and what you intend! I have several oil flasks and we will not be taken alive!"

Speaks demanded, "What are you talking about?!"

The Gnoll retorted, "Do not attempt to beguile me from your foul motives! We know of what you have done to the other tribes and we will not fall prey to the same fate!"

Speaks started to see where the misunderstanding lay. "We are here to destroy whatever is stirring the dead from their resting places. We have no quarrel with you and had you not attacked us, your companions would still be alive. Now, tell me what it is that you fear!" (Speaks used his new Mask of Intimidation and rolled quite well.)

The Gnoll, cowed before the daunting presence of Speaks, spilled his guts. He revealed that the "Dark Druids" had been rounding up large groups of Gnolls and taking them away somewhere across the "Darkflow". When they returned, they were walking dead who seemed to serve the will of the Dark Druids. These particular Gnolls were of the Bloodclaw tribe and had survived because they had allied with a band of Ogres who helped them to fight the undead hurled at them by the Druids.

Speaks roughly informed the Gnoll that he was in no way aligned with these "Dark Druids" and that, although some of his magic may bear some resemblance to theirs, there the similarities ended. He made it clear that if the Dark Druids were responsible for the walking dead, they were surely his enemies. By extension, the Gnolls were nominally his allies, so long as they ceased any hostile intent toward the party.

The Gnoll took some convincing but he agreed to carry word of the party and their intentions back to his tribe. He then urged Speaks and the others to burn the bodies of the fallen Ogres and Gnolls so that they would be of no use to the Dark Druids. Speaks agreed to this.

Once the Briar Web had expired, the Gnolls aided the party in gathering wood from the surrounding area and making a pyre for the bodies. The corpses were doused in the oil that the Gnolls carried, which burned hot enough to consume even bones. Once the fire was lit the Gnolls told the party that smoke from these pyres often drew the attention of the Dark Druids and it would be best if they departed the area with all haste.

The Gnolls headed back toward the rest of their tribe to the southwest. The party departed and proceeded more cautiously on foot, moving ever closer to the Temple. Perhaps the answers to this mystery lay there.

NEXT: A Taste of Their Own Medicine

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Hmm...Dark Druids...ogres allying with gnolls...an almost total party kill!

Keep up the good work Rel!

I promise that I too will have an update soon.

What Rel failed to mention is that in that combat he rolled no less than 3 critical hits by the ogres. In round 1 I tried to parley and then cast Briar Web when they charged. They then proceeded to deliver 46 pts of damage to me in one shot.

Between ogre luck and bad tactics (Scar and I have had a talk about protecting his companions), we had a very rough go. Raven had a shield other spell on Scar, which in retrospect was not such a good idea since Scar had a terrible AC compared to Raven and both were engaged in melee. If Scar had not accidently stepped out of range of the spell just before he got critically hit and knocked out, it would have killed Raven.

Bad mojo that night.

Thorntangle

First Post
Spring Attack rears its ugly head again. It looks so good on paper... The feat should be for Rogues only. Just like VW Cabriolets - anybody can buy them, but only certain people should.

Great update, Rel. Glad to see you up and about and all recovered. It sucks when the family gets a bug.

Darklone

Uhm...

3 crits? ouch. As if ogres can't hurt enough without critting. Scar's got bad AC? Thought he wears the mithril breastplate? Hmm well ok. That's not too much without high dex and shield and barkskin... shield of faith would help?

Old One

First Post
Great Update!

Darklone said:
3 crits? ouch. As if ogres can't hurt enough without critting. Scar's got bad AC? Thought he wears the mithril breastplate? Hmm well ok. That's not too much without high dex and shield and barkskin... shield of faith would help?

Rel -

That sounds like it came amazingly close to a TPK! I am greatly anticipating their arrival at the "Temple" and seeing what your Dark Druids are up to:D!

~ Old One

Darklone

Re: Great Update!

Old One said:
That sounds like it came amazingly close to a TPK! I am greatly anticipating their arrival at the "Temple" and seeing what your Dark Druids are up to:D!

Hehehe... Villains of different dimensions work together and inspire each other! That must be the reason why fantasy roleplaying villains often do better than their real life shadows... Do they?

Malachai_rose

First Post
Ogres and Dark Druids

Gotta say Rel good job :) And to Speaks , wow, that was a harsh 1st round, lol. As for Scar he seems to be doin alright , just some bad circumstances that time. I can sense that the party is quickly aproaching the flash point at which it will destroy the next band of villanous monsters (only because Speaks is pretty hoss and I am totally rooting for them :D) Hehe, anyways good post, lol,you have this nack for making normally cannon fodderish monsters into extremely uber hoss foes to be reckoned with :p I would appreciate it if ya didn't keep fillin broc's head with these "players need to get a beat down" type of ideas :) It's starting to get a little dangerous, he even asked me to post some of his cruel and vicious plots on the board so everyone could know that he to bore the title of R.B.D.M. (roflmao, he's proud of it, a little scary if ya ask me) So for our sakes :) go easy on Speaks and the gang, lol, because the party you save may not just be your own ;)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Thanks for all the replies, gang. I'll try not to be such a bad influence on Broc, Malachai Rose.

I've got bad news, good news and good news.

The bad news is that I still am not caught up with the posts (I guess you could tell that, huh?). And I'm fairly swamped at work and at home leaving me with little time and less energy for story hour write ups.

But the good news is that my wife and baby girl are going out of town for a long weekend this week and I will have plenty of time to devote to getting caught up. That is, if I don't squander the whole weekend sitting in my underwear playing computer games and watching movies where lots of stuff blows up (I am totally renting Spy Game and Behind Enemy Lines on Friday afternoon). I promise that I'll put in plenty of time on the Story Hour though.

That's because of the other good news. The campaign has seen some really great stuff happen lately. Revelations are popping up left and right, religious tensions are running high, armies of evil are massing in darkened corners about to burst onto the scene and things are generally running at a fever pitch. So there is a lot to look forward to. I just need a few peaceful hours to devote to writing it all down.

If you are willing to stick with me just a little longer, I promise that there is a payoff in the near future. Thanks for reading.

Thorntangle

First Post
It's going to be hard to be productive while the wife and kids are gone. That's pure regression time, my friend! You no longer have to speak with actual words (grunts suffice) or worry about where you eat (floor's good).

I remember that some author, knowing he needed to get some productive writing done, commanded his servant to lock him in a room naked with nothing but desk, chair, pen and paper.

So maybe you could do something like that.

Remove ads