Remember these MERP/Rolemaster critical hit tables?

I've been tidying up my library. Had a quick browse through the 1984 MERP boxed set and amused myself remembering these. MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) was a lighter version of Rolemaster from Iron Crown Enterprises. Tolkein Enterprises subsequently ended ICE's Middle Earth license in 1999.

I've been tidying up my library. Had a quick browse through the 1984 MERP boxed set and amused myself remembering these. MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) was a lighter version of Rolemaster from Iron Crown Enterprises. Tolkein Enterprises subsequently ended ICE's Middle Earth license in 1999.

Dx7ytjyWkAIllWW.jpg-large.jpg

We used them in 3rd edition D&D on criticals/natural 20's as well. Good times. The d100 system is a little tedious to do arithmetic with, so we usually avoided the base Rolemaster system/s. Reminds me a little of HARN.

drl2

Explorer
I owned a few of the MERP books but never actually got around to playing the game. Reading through them, the system struck me as a standard fantasy game sprinkled with a light dusting of artificial Tolkien flavor crystals.

(Not sure what ever happened to those books, but last week while rummaging in my basement I found something called "The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game" which I don't remember buying, but it seems to have a pristine rulebook, punch-out minis, and a starter adventure for a slimmed-down LotR RPG...)

I owned a few of the MERP books but never actually got around to playing the game. Reading through them, the system struck me as a standard fantasy game sprinkled with a light dusting of artificial Tolkien flavor crystals.

I think that is what a lot of us want: standard fantasy gaming but in the world of Bilbo and Aragorn.

Remove ads

Remove ads