• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Remember when ...

vagabundo

Adventurer
And after all the bitching on the fourms (legit concerns aside) a lot of the naysayers will switch anyway, just like 3e.

Oh and after sucking up designers time as they soothe the angry mob when they release information or soothe the angry mob when they don't release information.

All the negativity is sucking some of the fun and anticipation from the pre-4e. I had more fun pre-3e.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Laruuk said:
Remember when 3E came out? There were a lot of complaints when 3E was announced. Some of them are being repeated with 4E.

I seem to have either a memory problem or just different experiences, but I was at the GenCon 3E announcement that was met with thunderous applause and an overall good feeling (as opposed to confused looks, a handful of claps, and a cricket followed by 3 days of grumbling and head-shaking). Folks on the internet grumbled a little but most agreed many things could be better.

All the local gamers would go to the FLGS each month to grab Dragon off the shelf looking for new news and were generally positive and/or at least looking forward. I don't recall anywhere near the amount of 3e Pre-Hate that I see for 4e. But that might just be me.

-DM Jeff

WyzardWhately

First Post
Yeah, I was crazy-enthusiastic about 3E. It looked like good stuff. This edition, I am far more cautious. There's not evidence to say that's because of a change in me, or the rest of the audience, rather than the fact that the change in direction for the game is a different (and perhaps less popular) one.

DM_Jeff said:
I seem to have either a memory problem or just different experiences, but I was at the GenCon 3E announcement that was met with thunderous applause and an overall good feeling (as opposed to confused looks, a handful of claps, and a cricket followed by 3 days of grumbling and head-shaking). Folks on the internet grumbled a little but most agreed many things could be better.

All the local gamers would go to the FLGS each month to grab Dragon off the shelf looking for new news and were generally positive and/or at least looking forward. I don't recall anywhere near the amount of 3e Pre-Hate that I see for 4e. But that might just be me.

-DM Jeff
That's because the 4E hate was already well established long before 4E was in the works. After all, 3.5 was (and still is) in some circles considered a bad move. Many vocal opponents to new editions of ANY kind (except perhaps their personal vision) had been established. That is rather unlike 3E where WotC had only just finished picking up the pieces of the disaster that TSR had made of of things before going under. There were simply more people who were genuinely eager for new, different, and better even if there was reactionary opposition as well. 2E had widely outstayed its welcome. That isn't true (certainly not AS true) with 3/3.5.

Ulrick

First Post
"4e has made Asmodeus a god."

He was already a "proto-diety" in earlier products, being around since before the multiverse was formed.

Though I do understand people being concerned about religious fundamentalists having an uproar. I've seen first-hand of what they'll do--back in high school they burned my friend's D&D books. But you what, they'll do stuff like that anyway. The burning happened back in the days of 2e, after D&D had supposedly cleaned itself up.

Your decision to purchase 4e shouldn't be based on Asmodeus being a god...

...it should be based on whether or not D&D spells in 4e actually work in real life. :p ;)

Howndawg

Explorer
DM_Jeff said:

-DM Jeff

One notable difference between the 3e release and the 4e release is that 2e had an 11 year lifespan, while 3e will last only eight. A good many people who are upset about 4e are upset because they believe the release is premature. Even though I generally like what I see about 4e and will be switching over next summer, I do admit that there is plenty of 3e stuff I wanted to try but will probably never get around to doing.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Ulrick said:
"4e has made Asmodeus a god."

He was already a "proto-diety" in earlier products, being around since before the multiverse was formed.

Actually, if you looked carefully enough, he already was one as early as 1e. Guess where this was written ?

ahh... people never learn.

Laruuk

First Post
Howndawg said:
One notable difference between the 3e release and the 4e release is that 2e had an 11 year lifespan, while 3e will last only eight.

It could be argued that 3e was less than 8, considering the release of 3.5.

Cadfan said:
"
Ooh, and "My homebrew campaign setting features a fiendishly complex cosmology based entirely on the number of letters in each class name in the Player's Handbook. 4e is adding new classes to the Player's Handbook, and dropping the druid. This is absolutely unacceptable, renders my campaign unplayable in 4e, and constitutes firing me as a player."
LMAO yep that is my favourite complaint as well- how 4E will render your homebrew unplayable- it is homebrew, so home brew 4E!

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Howndawg said:
Even though I generally like what I see about 4e and will be switching over next summer, I do admit that there is plenty of 3e stuff I wanted to try but will probably never get around to doing.
Same here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads