Remove Critical Feat

Crothian

First Post
Here's a feat that I'm throwing out there as part of a dueling society. However, the society does not allow duels to the death and actually will arrest people who kill in a dual (basically the king is trying to get rid of dueling altogether, but the nobles like it too much so the King is slowly putting limits on it).

Remove Critical (General)
Prerequiste: BAB 5+, Weapon Focus
Benefit: With this feat your weapon that you have weapon focus with has it's crit range and multiplier reduced to 20/x2 when you choose to use this feat. You must declare you are using this feat before you make any attack rolls that round. THis feat can only be applied to melee weapons This feat may be taken more then once, it's effect do not stack. Instead you must apply it to a different weapon.

Now, I realize none of my players would ever take this feat. But I plan to warn them about killing in a duel and telling them why this feat is there.

So, am I crazy for doing this sort of thing? THoughts?

kreynolds

First Post
Crothian said:
So, am I crazy for doing this sort of thing? THoughts?

It's not crazy, no. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to spend a valuable feat slot to purchase a "role-play feat". However, if you're role-play kicks that much butt, I'd happily purchase it. So I guess it depends on how good you think you are. :D

Nine Hands

Explorer
Hmm.

I'd do this completely different (this way it becomes a useful feat outside of duels).

Controlled Critical

You have a greater control of when and where you make critical hits.

Prerequisite: BAB +5 or higher, Weapon Focus
Benefit: With any weapon that you have Weapon Focus in, you may roll 2 attack rolls to confirm a critical threat. You choose one of the 2 rolls as your critical threat roll.

This way, you can get some benefit of this outside of a duel. Also there is still a chance that you will accidentally kill someone.

What do you think?

Crothian

First Post
Nine Hands said:
Hmm.

I'd do this completely different (this way it becomes a useful feat outside of duels).

Controlled Critical

You have a greater control of when and where you make critical hits.

Prerequisite: BAB +5 or higher, Weapon Focus
Benefit: With any weapon that you have Weapon Focus in, you may roll 2 attack rolls to confirm a critical threat. You choose one of the 2 rolls as your critical threat roll.

This way, you can get some benefit of this outside of a duel. Also there is still a chance that you will accidentally kill someone.

What do you think?

Sure, make it useful so the characters might actually take it. :D

That's a good idea for a feat. However, I would have it as a reroll and you are stuck with the second roll. I think best of two rolls is a little too good.

"It's not crazy, no. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to spend a valuable feat slot to purchase a "role-play feat". However, if you're role-play kicks that much butt, I'd happily purchase it. So I guess it depends on how good you think you are. "

You know how good I am. :cool:

It is more then a role play feat. Dueling would be a big part. The game would deal with more of an honor system so ignoring a duel or bulking at one would hurt you socially. And accidently killing someone willl hold severe consquences, as it should. ;)

Nine Hands

Explorer
Crothian said:

Sure, make it useful so the characters might actually take it. :D

That's a good idea for a feat. However, I would have it as a reroll and you are stuck with the second roll. I think best of two rolls is a little too good.

"It's not crazy, no. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to spend a valuable feat slot to purchase a "role-play feat". However, if you're role-play kicks that much butt, I'd happily purchase it. So I guess it depends on how good you think you are. "

You know how good I am. :cool:

It is more then a role play feat. Dueling would be a big part. The game would deal with more of an honor system so ignoring a duel or bulking at one would hurt you socially. And accidently killing someone willl hold severe consquences, as it should. ;)

Another thing, do you allow players to deal subdual damage in duels. When I ran my Waterdeep campaign, the dueling society that a player ran could have used subdual damage to not kill an opponent. Instead they went for a more stylish approach of knocking a rose off your opponents lapel. Pretty cool idea :)

Crothian

First Post
Right now the dueling is fought until one gives up. the law making killing illegal is rather new and the rules haven't really caught up with the laws. So, many people will still be doing lethal damage. I'm thinking about having it going to first blood, with first blood being defined as losing half your HPs. Death will still happen and it's going to bea tough law to enforce especially with Nobles liking to duel and they will get special treatment from the courts. So, if a Noble kills in a duel he'll get a slap on the wrist where a normal person my get hard labor. A normal person that kills a noble will problem get hung.

Zerovoid

First Post
Why not just have a feat that allows players to deal subdual damage without taking the normal -4 penalty to do so? Call it Subdual Strike or something. People might actually take that, since it makes it way easier to take enemies alive for interrogation and such.

Crothian

First Post
Zerovoid said:
Why not just have a feat that allows players to deal subdual damage without taking the normal -4 penalty to do so? Call it Subdual Strike or something. People might actually take that, since it makes it way easier to take enemies alive for interrogation and such.

I have no problem with such a feat, it just doesn't fit the ways the duels are going to be run. IMC dueling did lead to death of one of them most of the time until recently. Now dueling to the death is against the law, but that doesn't mean people are not going to try to hurt and maim while dueling.

Crothian

First Post
kreynolds said:

Don't make me get the needle... ;)

By the way, you have no idea how badly I could have twisted your comment. :D

Dude, I want to party with you. I know how bad you can twist my comments. What's the fun if you never set yourself up? :cool:

Remove ads