• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Remove level drain from 4e!!

mmadsen

First Post
hong said:
There's nothing particularly "scary" about level drain, assuming you have restoration. It's only scary because it requires a 4th level spell to get rid of, whereas you can sleep off hit point loss.
Exactly. What if undead did hit-point damage that simply did not heal? That would be scary too. And it would be simple.

I'm still partial to disease-like ability damage to all abilities, which can fester and get worse or heal over the course of a few days.

So removing Level drain, energy drain or the like makes Undead unscary and like any other monster. I dont this whole "Whiny player" trend. Is D&D really entering an era where crybabys are going to get there way over what makes sense for the game and tradition?
I agree that it's clunky, thats why I imposed an XP penalty to make up for that fact. If you dont like it change it. 4e should be whatever you make your 3.5 game into.

hong

WotC's bitch
Henry said:
For me, it's never bothered me. If I get killed, there's a resurrection or raise dead just around the corner, with a maximum of one level lost, not a big deal, especially with D&D's XP progression (how lower level characters get more XP than higher level ones until they are caught up). At worst, I can always retire my character and make a new one. With level loss, about the only way to recover in the old days was to either get a 7th level spell cast on you,

What is this "in the old days" business you talk of? In the edition which people are talking about, you can cure energy drain with a 4th level spell. "In the old days" is relevant to what, exactly?

hong

WotC's bitch
Arashi Ravenblade said:
So removing Level drain, energy drain or the like makes Undead unscary and like any other monster. I dont this whole "Whiny player" trend. Is D&D really entering an era where crybabys are going to get there way over what makes sense for the game and tradition?

You say this like it's a negative thing.

Remove ads