• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rename the Monster Manual

Laurefindel

Legend
Personally, I'm fond of calling it a Creature Compendium but the Sage Advice Compendium kinda steps on the name.
I don't see why it would step on anything.

I know that this thread has devolved into derision pretty much from the start, but in all seriousness, "compendium" is a collection of works on the same subject. Works perfectly for creatures, which is also a relatively neutral term* and already used in D&D jargon. Besides as a compendium, there is conceptual room for sub-books (keep the magical beasts separated from the sentient creatures? Bestiary vs culture guide?)

It would be a nice throwback to the Monstrous Compendiums of AD&D

It has the same double-consonant flow as monstrous manual, but CC instead of MM.

Even if nothing changes in the Monstrous Manual except for the title, Creature Compendium remains the best alternative title in my opinion.

*from where I come from, "creature" was also a name for "woman", especially for young and pretty ones. Archaic and borderline folkloric, but part of my history nonetheless.

Last edited:

wizard71

Explorer
I really do not understand the issue with monsters. They are monsters. Orcs always being listed as EVIL is not the issue. Stereotyping them into a specific culture over and over seems to be the problem. Monstrous humanoid cultures should be a twisted reflection of the human & semi human cultures of the area. If the humans are portrayed as being a Nordic culture, elves as Japanese and dwarves as Argentianian then it would make sense for orcs to have similar cultures when close to these other peoples.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Seattle just named their NHL team the KRAKEN, we need to niop this in the bud and stop these MONSTROUS naming conventions. LETS PROTEST!!

Well better get crakin then

I just did that about half an hour ago. Why should I do the "Lot Attendants" job?

exactly, if everyone takes their own shopping carts back then somebody might lose a job - not returning shopping carts is an investment in community wellbeing!!!

Treasure hordes are the property of the people. Of course the Capitalist swine want to swoop in a abscond with them to fuel the filthy fires of captial. Kobolds of the world unite! The uprising is at hand, sons and daughters of the dragon! Revolution!!
- quote from Das Treasure Horde, by Kobold Marx
And they said the world is run by lizard people..

R_J_K75

Legend
Well better get crakin then

exactly, if everyone takes their own shopping carts back then somebody might lose a job - not returning shopping carts is an investment in community wellbeing!!!

Those 0-HD Lot Attendants are worth 50xp for everyone you back into.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Would there be janitors if there were never messes? No.

That's why I'm a professional criminal. Give the justice system and investigators something to do. I know I'm the real hero so nobody has to say it, I'm just doing my part.

Now put the money in the bag, nerds.

Remove ads