Renaming Fantasy Shamans/Shamanism (+)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, one of the magic skills in my game is currently Shamanism, and an archetype is The Shaman. I feel that most people immediately get that a Shaman will be a character who deals closely with spirits, who can enter the spirit world, who can heal and bless and curse. The problem is, it isn't actually clear that Shaman is rightly a generic anthropological term for ecstatic holy people, because there are somewhat compelling arguments that have been made that the term essentially "belongs" to the Tungusic and/or Mongolian peoples.

On the other hand, as a generic anthropological term, several scholars and activists have criticised the term on the grounds that it implies that ecstatic and spirit-calling traditions around the world are simple and similar, ie that they are "all basically the same thing", which is reductive, as well as on the grounds that it is a term with roots in colonialism and that due to it's history in western scholarship and rhetoric, it perpetuates ideas of the "noble savage", and contributes to the marginalization of indigenous peoples.

In short, it's a contentious term.

Now, "Shaman" is easy to replace for a game term. Spirit Caller springs immediately to mind.

But what are some terms that can be used to refer to the act of contacting and negotiating with spirits, calling upon them to aid you or others, driving out evil spirits, healing spiritual ailments, and the people who specialize in these practices?

Anyone got any good latin or greek words that have a good ring to them? What would the greek -mancy terminology be?

Please note that this is a + thread, and remember the forum rules. We aren't here to argue about politics, the value of inclusion, or whether it's worth thinking through this sort of thing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Mystic is my default for the shamanistic range of class abilities, but I also use Keeper, Warden and Grey Walker to designate various magical specialties. Or I guess Spirit Walker could be a thing.
Keeper has a nice ring to it.

My game isn’t trying to be historically accurate, so more fantasy flair is fine, but it does take place in an AU Earth, so there is room for a lot of wiggle, here.

for instance, Warlock refers to magical warriors whose magic comes from some manner of transgression, usually involving rituals and sources of power others consider taboo or otherwise off limits. They magically cheat in order to “punch above their weight class”. The transgression ties in with the historical meaning of the term, while the rest harkens to largely discredited interpretations of the term.

Likewise many creatures that folklore calls evil or monstrous are morally ambiguous or otherwise exemplify that humans tell stories without much regard to truth, especially when scared or excited.

A fun one is goblins, which are also Kobolds, which are mining spirits, right. But they are only associated with mines because kids were used to get to places adults couldn’t in mines throughout history, and it sometimes cost them their lives, and in my game, goblins are lost children who were found by goblins and taken to goblin town. They’re basically the lost boys, and they can create Crossroads (paths between worlds) in places associated with lost kids, like mines, abandoned places of entertainment, and cemeteries.

I don't have anything in Latin or Greek but here are the English words that jumped out to me:

Contact and negotiate = commune
Calling for aid = channeling
Driving out evil spirits = revoke/rescind
Healing spiritual ailments = alleviate?

People who specialize = Venerator (gains the knowledge and power of memories that have imprinted on the world), Intercessor (acts as a bridge between spirits and the physical world), Scion (guided by spirits through a relational connection)

I actually made a venerator class once upon a time but I'm not sure where that notebook is now.

Bilharzia

Fish Priest
Mythras uses "Animism" to describe the system of belief and "Animist" to describe the practitioner. From my reading it is broad enough to include all related practices across the world and history, without mis-understanding, mis-labelling or appropriating from any specific culture or practice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases