• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Renaming Real-World Nations...

Agback

Explorer
Express said:
Might I suggest pilfering from fictional names of countries from literature and movies?

For instance Ruritania, Osterland, Sylvania, Freiland, Razkavia, Grand Fenwick, San Seriffe, Borduria, and of course Fredonia :)

Now that is the sort of thing I would do!

Regards,

Brett

DiamondB

Explorer
Agback said:
I think that perhaps you are confusing the Baltic States with the Balkans.

Regards,

Agback

Oops, you're right. It was a long day yesterday.
Anyhow, here's what we use for the Balkans;
Magyaria (Hungary)
Transylvania
Moldavia
Wallachia
Bulgaria
Eastern Empire (Byzantine Empire)

Basically broke the region up and used some traditional regional names (some are fairly recogniazable, i.e. Transylvania).

MaxKaladin

First Post

-France - Bretonia

-Italy - Tilea

-Germany - Middenheim, Altdorf, Hochland, etc.

-Scandinavia - Norsca

-Russia - Kislev

Or has that been done before? ;)

Woas

First Post
spell them backwards!

sdrawkcab meth lleps

-Nians

-Ecnarf

-Ylati

-Ynamreg

-Aivanidnacs

-Snoiger Naklab

-Eceerg

-Aissur

Tiberius

Explorer
Well, if your Greece is more Spartan than most, you could go with Lacedaemon (la KEY da mon, AFAIK), its people being the Lacedaemonioi. It's one of the older names for Sparta.

Privateer

First Post
Well, if your players aren't into 7th Sea (and wouldn't know where you stole the names from, therefore), it has parallels to real world countries that I like. You might want to double check what I give you here, though.

(Spelling, memory may be off)

England: Avalon
France: Montaigne
Spain: Castille
Italy: Vodacce
Germany: Eisen
Russia: Ussura
Netherlands: Vendel
Norway/Vikings: Vestenmannavenajar (I think)
China/Japan-ish: Cathay
Middle East: I forget... Crescent something.

Last edited:

Perun

Mushroom
Well, I started typing, and it turned out to be a bit of a large, and probably boring, histry of the Balkans... so, instead, I suggest this for inspiration. It's a bit of an what-if scenario :)

And it features an independent Dalmatian state. What more could I ask for ;)

http://www.chlewey.org/ib/eu/index.html

Regards.

The Mad Kaiser

First Post
Original .............. Common / Native

Spain ................. Brent / Briento

France ............... Annage / Annegés

Italy .................. Padua / Padova

Scandinavia ........ Strutgert / Strughtagerta

Germany ............. Rorich / Roiek

Greece ............... Rimose / Remos

Russia ................ Kubev / Kubev

Gez

First Post
LoneWolf23 said:
Can anyone help me? I've already got my British Isles equivalent named: Arbion for England, Eriu for Ireland, Caledonia for Scotland...

Isn't it Albion, rather than Arbion?

-Spain
Spain and Portugal are on the Iberic peninsula, so you can use Iberia.
Spain is made of several smaller former kingdoms, Castilla, Leon, Navarre, Catalogna, Galicia, IIRC.

-France
Litterally "Land of the Free" (the Franks).
You can use the latin Gallia or Gallica (the Roman pun we kept to this day, giving us a rooster for mascott; the gauls usually preferred the boar, the skylark and the seagull, depending on where the tribe was located).
If you name after a city/region, Britanny and its derivative is too close-sounding to Britain IMO. Some other region names here, just move the mouse over the places. Most of them have compound names, because several regions have been merged together. ("Pays de la Loire" is an extreme example, meaning "lands of the Loire basin".)

-Italy
Region names.

-Germany
Regions of Germany.
Additionally, the Germans have a lots of name. They call themselves Deutsch (pronounced about Doytch, do not confuse with Dutch!), they're Allemands in French and Germans in English. In fact, all these names come from different teutonic tribes. One called itself the Allamans (all the men), and that's what gave Allemagne. German was a name given by the Romans to those they deemed the closest to their kin. Prussian, Teuton, Goth, all have been used to describe part or all of Germans.

-Greece
The Greek call themselves Hellens. The name of Greece and Greek is caused by a mistake of the Romans, and was actually the name of the first Hellen colony they encountered. It's a bit like if there were ETs living on the moon, and they would call us the "Armstrong race" rather than the "Human race".

[/QUOTE]

Remove ads