Repeating crossbow - WTF!

Hi

Could someone please explain to me why anyone would spend a feat to be able to use a repeating crossbow.
Why not just use a bow? And spend the feat on rapid shot or something. If you're not proficient with bows, why not spend the feat on a bow instead of Repeating Crossbow.

I'm trying really really hard, but I just can see any advantages to the rep. X-bow that warrants the spending off a feat.

:confused:

Judas

First Post
A heavy repeating crossbow that allows you to shoot up to as many attacks in a round that your character is allowed. Heavy Repeating Crossbow has double the range of a bow and a heavy crossbow does d10 damage instead of d8.

pikafunk

First Post
none. Its the same thing with the hand crossbow and a great deal of the other exotic weapons. Especialy since every class (nearly) is profficient in crossbow, and reloading (i think its called) is only a +1 enhancement bonus.

Pinotage

Explorer
Flavour mostly, I would imagine. Some players like crossbows and others like bows. If you're not proficient with bows, there's not a lot in it. Heavy Repeating Crossbow does more damage than a composite longbow (1d10 vs 1d8), but then you get 'mighty' bows for added strength damage. Crossbow has a higher threat range but the multiplier is lower. Comes down to personal preference in the old end. Of course, you're more likely to find a bow in a dungeon than a heavy repeating crossbow (has anybody ever seen a module that sports one of these or other exotic weapons?). :)

Pinotage

knifespeaks

First Post
Well, theoretically you shouldn't be able to keep a normal bow perpetually strung - hence, for that reason alone a crossbow is a superior weapon.

That helps a bit I guess :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Pinotage said:
Heavy Repeating Crossbow does more damage than a composite longbow (1d10 vs 1d8), but then you get 'mighty' bows for added strength damage.
This is the tradeoff, really. If you have a good strength bonus, a mighty bow is superior. But if you don't have a strength bonus, and never play to get one, then a d10 is more average damage than the bow's d8.

Edit to add: A crossbow can also be fired while prone, garnering the attacker an additional +4 to AC.

Last edited:

Henrix

Explorer
Nor can you really have a crossbow strung all the time, for much the same reasons that you can't have a bow strung. The springiness goes out of the bow, and the bowstring stretches.

The reason for a PC to use a crossbow in D&D is to avoid taking their negetive strength modifier to damage. ;)

Klaus

First Post
A character with a Str penalty (say, a halfling) can use a repeating crossbow to fire as much as she can, and the damage is steady (plus the increased threat range).

With a bow, she'd have to endure her Str penalty to all her bow shots.

If you build a fighter type with high Dex, low Str, this is a very good option. And "repeating" is not something that is available to every game. So, in a relatively low-magic setting, it might well be worth a feat.

Remove ads