Repeating crossbow - WTF!

tensen

First Post
knifespeaks said:
Well, theoretically you shouldn't be able to keep a normal bow perpetually strung - hence, for that reason alone a crossbow is a superior weapon.

That helps a bit I guess :)

Well, it isn't good for a bow to keep it strung perpetually.. but then neather is carrying it through the rain and other bad weather... carrying it in dank dungeons... or crawling through the underbrush with it. And in RL, I've practiced and can string my longbow in under 6 seconds. Personally I'd allow anyone proficient with it, to string their bow as a move action. Not that it comes up often at all.

Thanks for the answers. I think I've just got confirmation on my suspicions. Repeating crossbows are not worth a feat IMO.
I like the idea, however, and will maybe use some 'improved' version.
Maybe even use some magitech version that uses magic to propel the quarrel and call it a Bolter or somethin'

Particle_Man

Explorer
Maybe he means the Rapid Reload feat in the phb, which allows a light crossbow or hand crossbow to fire bolts as often as a bow, and a heavy crossbow to reload as a move-eqivalent (effectively allowing one shot per round)?

One problem with the repeating crossbows is that they are heavy. If you have low str, and your dm enforces encumbrance rules, this is not insignificant.

drdevoid

Explorer
It's also a matter of whether or not the campaign uses fancy ammuntion. Typically, the abilitities on the trick bolts are not the same as trick arrows.

For all the resons mentioned before, without house ruling or going non-core it's a composite bow hands down. And those Exotic bows are sometimes just crazy.

For flavor reasons though, you can get yourself a tripod for shooting from a carriage or chariot or what have you, and have a bandolier of bolts across your chest... :p

IcyCool

First Post
6 words and a number:

+1 Wounding Heavy Repeating Crossbow of Distance

Bolts doing 1d10+1 damage and 1 Con damage each, with a range increment of 240 ft. (That's roughly 80 yards with no penalty, and a max range of 400 yards). Nothing says loving like machine gun crossbows.

For more fun, fire custom-made Bolts of Slaying :D

Behold! The Perforator

Nail

First Post
IMC, kobolds use them. (FWIW, I gave 'em the weapon familiarity)

The point: sub-twelve Str people are better off with a crossbow. A repeating heavy crossbow allows iterative attacks - even a feat (rapid reload) can't get you that for a heavy crossbow.

Sorcica said:
Could someone please explain to me why anyone would spend a feat to be able to use a repeating crossbow.

What if you're, say, a cleric, wizard, or sorceror who has to spend a feat to use a bow? Now imagine you're a gnome or halfling with a less than spectacular strength. Until level 7+ you've used a crossbow with no restriction. If you're going to burn a feat into learning another weapon it might as well be something you're familiar with. That, and it keeps the others from filching your ammunition.

And crossbows do have a few advantage over bows: they can be fired one handed if already loaded and cocked, although at a penalty. Repeating crossbows, like the covered crossbow, can be fired in awkward positions like hanging upside down.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
It would also be much easier for a crossbow wielder to qualify for a Cover bonus. A small matter for most PCs, but a big advantage in a large scale battle or fight against a horde of elite kobolds crawling amongst the rocks.

Remove ads