• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rerolling stats...cause they're too darn good!

Cedric

First Post
Had a question for you folks. Have you ever rerolled your stats, or thought about rerolling your stats because they were too good.

We are starting a new Forgotten Realms game in a few weeks time (starting at 2nd level) and I wanted to make an Aasimar Cleric of Lathander and work towards the Morninglord PrC.

My GM wanted this to be fairly heroic, so he chose a die rolling method I've not seen before. You have 25 dice to roll, you can split them up however you like, but you must roll at least 3 dice for each stat and you take the 3 highest from what you roll.

If you don't like your stats, you can reroll, but once you decide to reroll you can't use your previous set of stats.

So, first time out of the gate I came up with these stats...

Str 16
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 17
Wis 17 (19)
Cha 16 (18)

Now...I know intellectually from the method chosen that high stats are going to happen. However, there is still a part of me that thinks I might should just reroll these cause they came out so high.

Some of you are going to think I am nuts for sure...but, what do you think?

Cedric

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Well, I switched to a Standard Array, but prior to that, I had the players add their (pre-Racial modified) modifiers, with the intent that they all remained within 4 points of each other. Both bad and good rolls had us re-rolling all the time, though, thus we switched.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Your probably not the only one with those numbers given the method. As long as everyone's about equal it should be fine.

That said, I've regretted not re-rolling for lower stats. Having stats that are too high, or awkwardly high, can spoil the fun. Probably more-so at low levels when stats can mean more than character levels. It's also fairly tough to decide how to place stats when you have too many +3 modifiers to choose from.

You've got a +15 total modifier... that's pretty high. In point buy it looks like you'd have a 57 total.

Crothian

First Post
Reroll, no. But I have and have had players that have just reduced the numbers. I figure no need to reroll and just let them lower whatever stats they wish.

Cedric

First Post
I have to think that a part of my hangup comes from being a 1st ed player when I started. My god, stats like that in 1st ed would be BROKEN!!

In 3rd & 3.5 they are nice stats, don't get me wrong, but the linear progression of stats as opposed to the non-linear progression from 1st ed makes things a bit different.

Cedric

monkeygrrl

First Post
I've never completely rerolled because of high stats, but I have fudged my numbers downwards due to embarrassingly high results. no one likes to have all 5's for stats, but it takes something away from the character of the character to have everything too high, too IMO.

shilsen

Adventurer
I've done it once. The DM told us to roll up characters and I got a combo (can't recall precise details) which had nothing below 15. And this being AD&D, I also ended up with a 18/97 in Str! I didn't even bother asking the DM (who would probably have allowed it). Just rerolled.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I've never felt the need to reroll good stats. But then, I don't determine a character's personality based on the stats. Even with all 18s, there are a million interesting characters that can be created. :)

But if I felt the need for my character to have a "defining weakness" then sure, I'd reroll. Nothing crazy about it, it's just a matter of how you define your character and what you want to play.

DGFan

First Post
This is why I simply prefer the point system (as both a player and a DM). If you want heroic with the points systems just use something like 40 points.

Of course I think your DM has a terrible notion of heroic. The standard die rolling method for 3e now is 4d6(best 3 dice). That's 24 dice on 6 stats. Your DM gives you 1 extra die and calls it heroic? oooooh. I'm not impressed.

As to your question. Yes, I have rerolled stats before that were too good. But that was in 1e/2e. In 3e I would take them and make the DM suffer for his poor decision. *cackle*

Remove ads