Reshooting game of thrones seasons 6+

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Absolutely. When one book started to balloon into A Feast for Crows and A Dance of Dragons, an editor should've recommended some serious pruning. Of course, who knows, maybe GRRM did hear that advice and didn't listen?

If we are up to speculating, who knows, maybe GRRM did hear that advice, and trimmed it down to the two books we have, where before it was almost three books?

"Who knows, maybe..." can build just about any narrative we want about someone.

There's always the danger of believing your own hype. It's okay to have confidence, but a surfeit of it leads to little good.

I'm pretty sure Robert Jordan's editor was his wife, no less.

Yes, I think you could make an argument that the power of the editor / producer / publisher is inversely proportional to the power of the author / creator.

Look at George Lucas. The Star Wars OT is arguably better because he still had to listen to the studio execs and such, whereas he held all the cards with his arguably inferior PT.

Look at JK Rowling. The first Harry Potter book is reasonably slim. The later ones are much longer. I seem to recall a similar thing happening with Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time.

As the author's voice gets louder, the editor's gets correspondingly smaller.

(Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions to this as well.)

I think GRRM would be better off releasing more books that were shorter in length, instead of these giant tomes. But then again, the older I get, the less fond I become of giant wrist-cracker novels.

If we are up to speculating, who knows, maybe GRRM did hear that advice, and trimmed it down to the two books we have, where before it was almost three books?

"Who knows, maybe..." can build just about any narrative we want about someone.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm pretty sure Robert Jordan's editor was his wife, no less.

Yep. Mind you, Harriet McDougal edited other things too - The Black Company and Ender's Game come to mind. She was Editing Director at Ace, one of the founders of Tor Books, and gave Jim Baen much of his start in the industry, leading to Baen Books.

So, whatever issues there were in the editing of those books, it wasn't that she was bad as an editor, in general.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I can't be the only person thinking that once Winds Of Winter and the final book is complete (the former is 75% done now), that HBO should reshoot seasons 6 and onwards to match the books.
You might be the only person thinking Winds of Winter will ever be completed. :p

Hell, even if he finishes it, it's not going to be the last book and he's probably not going to live long enough to complete the book after Winds of Winter. He's 75% done with Winds and it has taken him 10 years. At this rate it will be 2.5 more years until we get the book and he'll be writing until he's 88 or 89 to give us the last one.

Even if he lives until 90, If for one will not care about the HBO series being reshot in 2037 to match what he wrote.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In a world of remakes, I would never discount anything.

Frankly I don't think remaking just the last few seasons would be the way to go. If they were going to go for a remake, I think they would go full tilt. Especially since they are unlikely to get many of the actors back (or the actors wouldn't look right for the role anymore) so you would have that mess where you go from season 5 to a new season with all new actors.

That said...I think the books get overhyped. Honestly the adaptations they do for the show is really good for the most part. They do a lot to condense a lot of confusing subplots in the book to a nice core story that is relatively easy to follow. The books just have dozens of characters that you would never show in a series.

Its not until middle of season 7 that I think the plot REALLY goes off the rails. Before that, it stays within the spirit to me.
Game of Thrones deviation was a snowball rolling downhill.

In season one they were very, very close to the book. A small snowball starting it's journey downward.

In season two the deviations were a bit more pronounced, but still minor. Slightly bigger snowball.

Season three saw some pretty decent deviations as they built more and more on the smaller deviations from prior seasons, having to take those into account. A good sized snowball.

By the time season four happened that snowball was the size of a cow, and season 5 the size of a truck, and season 6 saw a house sized snowball coming at us.

Seasons 7 and 8 was that house sized snowball impacting us fans.

I wouldn't dispute her editing chops in general, either. But in this specific case, I think most would agree that the amount of material that could have (and should have) been cut from the Wheel of Time series would've filled an entire 1,000 page volume in and of itself.

Yep. Mind you, Harriet McDougal edited other things too - The Black Company and Ender's Game come to mind. She was Editing Director at Ace, one of the founders of Tor Books, and gave Jim Baen much of his start in the industry, leading to Baen Books.

So, whatever issues there were in the editing of those books, it wasn't that she was bad as an editor, in general.

Dausuul

Legend
Robert Jordan was dealing with a degenerative disease toward the end of his life. It very likely affected his writing, and I can well imagine the strain of caring for him would have affected his wife's editing too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases