D&D 5E Resistance & Rebellion

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm in the process of creating a small packet for DMsGuild that is inspired by various movements of commoners to rise up against the nobles in charge. I'm looking at Brust's Cawti and Kelly, America's Paine & Adams, and Card's Val and Peter for much of this.

Writing here I want to make sure I cover concepts that D&D isn't yet covering for such tales. At this point my new subclasses are;
Rogue (Liberator) -- freer of those charmed, enchanted and enslaved
Rogue (Propagandist) -- one who inspires through speech or print media
Fighter (Conscript) -- the warrior who was drafted into duty, went to war, and returned to town
Druid (Circle of Sewers) -- they support the urban animals

Tool (Printing Press)

Monster: Swarm of Commoners (for some Assassin's Creed type exploits)

all are at playtest levels of development.

What I really want to know is what types of fiction or historical concepts are still needed to run mostly urban uprisings?

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I felt like the various Assassin's Creed mains were already covered, as are the most common builds for Robin Hood, though maybe some of the Merry Men aren't covered?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Wouldn't Bard make more sense for the propagandist? Maybe instead call it the Firebrand or something?

I've gotten this a lot, but as I was trying to avoid magic for this build I found it easier to use the other skill monkey class rather than figure out a way to strip every spell from the Bard, but only for a subclass.
Originally it was called the Pamphleteer, but I wanted to broaden the scope beyond just written word

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You will need a class / subclass for General (because every successful revolt against a State eventually needs a professional user of large-scale force).

Also Friar Tuck, a healer and/or cleric. Bringing religious validation for a rebel to a pre-Enlightenment population was a necessary component of the rebel's eventual success.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Fiction: Shakespeare's historical-based plays provide material for your propagandists to put in the Hero's mouth and into the Villainous Ruler's mouth.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
You will need a class / subclass for General (because every successful revolt against a State eventually needs a professional user of large-scale force).

Also Friar Tuck, a healer and/or cleric. Bringing religious validation for a rebel to a pre-Enlightenment population was a necessary component of the rebel's eventual success.

I'm tempted to have Tuck-concept be a kind of monk. I know D&D generally hates Occidental monks as Monks, but he's an unarmored man who beats the crap out of people with sticks.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Need a saboteur (probably Rogue), and a champion of the people (Paladin, Oath of The People? A Paladin whose oath binds them to the ideals of the nation/culture, not the rulers).

There is definately room for a ranger in here, but I’m blanking on it ATM.

Also, Warlock Patron could bring in Hyrsam and other trickster and beings who seek to bring change and chaos.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Need a saboteur (probably Rogue), and a champion of the people (Paladin, Oath of The People? A Paladin whose oath binds them to the ideals of the nation/culture, not the rulers).

There is definately room for a ranger in here, but I’m blanking on it ATM.

Also, Warlock Patron could bring in Hyrsam and other trickster and beings who seek to bring change and chaos.

Who are some fictitious characters that are examples of these concepts?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Who are some fictitious characters that are examples of these concepts?

Does it matter? They fit the worlds of DnD, and what sorts of characters would be part of a rebellion in a DnD world. Real world rebellions have sabatuers, knights/soldiers/etc who believe their oaths bind them to help the rebels, and people who make metaphorical “deals with the devil” to help get their people freedom. I’ve simply DnD-ised the concepts.

Last edited:

Remove ads