Rest and Injury at your table

LapBandit

First Post
At our table (where I DM) we do the following:Long Rest = One Hit Die + CON Mod of healing (so a Fighter with 14 CON would get 12 HP back), Hit Die Recovery as Normal.Being reduced to 0 HP = One level of Exhaustion and an Injury. The Injury you take reflects the amount of damage on the hit that reduced you to 0 HP.We feel the above makes non-rest healing (spells, potions, magic items, magic places, Healer feat, etc) much more valuable and getting hurt badly enough to be making Death Saves actually mean something. So far we have all really enjoyed the added tension and grittiness it adds without it feeling too arbitrary.Has anyone else done something similar and what were your results?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Using the standard rules in the PHB right now.

Planning on adding the massive damage and lingering injury rules from the DMG in the near future (coinciding with the start of a campaign in a more "brutal" feeling setting) - and thinking about adding in the Healer's Kit Dependency (have to expend a use of a healer's kit to be able to spend hit dice at the end of a short rest), and Slow Natural Healing (long rest doesn't recover hit points, but does allow spending hit dice to recover hit points) at the same time, but haven't run those last two past my players to get their opinions yet.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Our current DM instituted a modified standard* and we have homebrewed/expanded the lingering injuries system quite a bit.

*:
Long Rests - Standard 8 hours. Provides no healing. Restores half of your hit dice. And you may benefit as if having taken a short rest.
Short Rests - Standard 1 hour. Per the PHB. But you may benefit from up to two short rests in a day.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
We use the slow healing variant (long rest gives half hit dice back but no hp, unless you spend your HD), and a modified injuries and setbacks table if reduced to zero hp (make a death save - if fail, roll on injury table).

Makes a big difference. No-one wants to drop to zero hp anymore.

Tony Vargas

Legend
At our table (where I DM) we do the following:Long Rest = One Hit Die + CON Mod of healing (so a Fighter with 14 CON would get 12 HP back)
So you generally heal more slowly (from say, 1 hp to full, for instance), the higher level you are?

Hit Die Recovery as Normal.Being reduced to 0 HP = One level of Exhaustion and an Injury. The Injury you take reflects the amount of damage on the hit that reduced you to 0 HP.
I assume relative damage (10 hps when you have 20 is more serious than 20 hps when you have 50)? Or can higher-hp characters sustain more gruesome injuries than lower-hps ones (who, presumably, merely die)?

We use the gritty realism rules. 1 week of rest is a long rest. 1 night of rest is a short rest.
I consider that more the 'slower campaign pacing rules.' I recommend them for long voyages, for instance.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I currently use the standard rules, but I've considered giving anyone that drops to 0 hit points a level of exhaustion, to stop the "get up and fight" tactics recent editions have tended towards...

Cheers!

happyhermit

Adventurer
I consider that more the 'slower campaign pacing rules.' I recommend them for long voyages, for instance.

Yeah, the "gritty" rest option is strange because it doesn't really change any rules and yet IME it really has a big effect on how the game plays out. I guess it made it much easier for us to achieve that 8 or so "encounters" I have heard is good for balancing classes, within the type of game we usually run. On the other hand, if you put a lot of combat situations into a day, things get very interesting.

I've been thinking about implementing a wounds system wherein 25% of each hit would cause a wound, which is essentially HP loss that can't be healed by normal means. For example, a PC taking 10 damage would lose 8 HP normally and 2 HP as wounds. The 8 HP could be healed as normal, but the 2 HP couldn't, effectively lowering max HP temporarily. Wounds would heal far more gradually than normal HP, say one wound point for every hit die rolled to restore HP, and perhaps through spells and effects which expressly heal grievous injuries.

However, I haven't decided if that actually contributes anything to gameplay, or if it's just a silly concession to realism in a game that has no call for it.

Springheel

First Post
I've been thinking about implementing a wounds system wherein 25% of each hit would cause a wound, which is essentially HP loss that can't be healed by normal means. For example, a PC taking 10 damage would lose 8 HP normally and 2 HP as wounds. The 8 HP could be healed as normal, but the 2 HP couldn't, effectively lowering max HP temporarily. Wounds would heal far more gradually than normal HP, say one wound point for every hit die rolled to restore HP, and perhaps through spells and effects which expressly heal grievous injuries.

I'm working on something like that, although a little simpler. Still trying to figure out how the magical healing will work. When I've finished I'll post it.

Remove ads