• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rest and Injury at your table

Tony Vargas

Legend
However, I haven't decided if that actually contributes anything to gameplay, or if it's just a silly concession to realism in a game that has no call for it.
There have been two-pool systems for hps in a few d20 games. One danger is that one pool becomes more important than the other, which can somehow 'realistically' be bypassed.

LapBandit

First Post
So you generally heal more slowly (from say, 1 hp to full, for instance), the higher level you are?

I assume relative damage (10 hps when you have 20 is more serious than 20 hps when you have 50)? Or can higher-hp characters sustain more gruesome injuries than lower-hps ones (who, presumably, merely die)?

Natural healing as a percentage of your HP does slow down as you level yes. I had not considered using a fractional amount/percentage but it might be worth exploring.

Regarding injury, it is independent of level graded by 10s from no injury (<10) to all possible inuries (>50).

S

Sunseeker

Standard resting rules per the PHB. Works out.

Thinking about doing some longer rests in an upcoming game. But I want to still have a "breather" sort of rest where you can spend say, 1HD, but gain nothing else. Have considered a "wound" system before, but I just don't see a good way to implement it without having "body parts" system like say, Deadlands. I'd also like wounds to be a bit of a surprise for players. "You hear a sickening crunch when the attack connects and searing pain in your *body part* but don't know what sort of damage has been done."

Thinking maybe resting will work as:
Breather: Can spend 1HD to regain that +Con, no other effects, must be at least 5 minutes.
Short Rest: Full night's sleep, can spend any number of HD+Con, all sort rest rules still apply. Regain 1HD at the end of your rest.
Long Rest: Minimum 7 days of consecutive short rests. Maximum 2 days of strenuous interruption.
-A week is a long time to ask the players to "do nothing". Doing various physical activities is permitted, chopping wood, helping build something, ie: pretty much anything physical that isn't combat and isn't using your rest-based class skills. So, a Wizard casting cantrips is fine. Casting actual spells? Nope, not "resting". But the players do not have total control over their ability to rest. Monsters could interrupt you. So much like the Long Rest requires 8 hours of rest, but allows for 2 hours of "light activity" and no more than a couple minutes of fighting, a week's long rest allows for two days with strenuous interruption.
-Long rests can be taken in succession, you don't have to wait a week to rest for a week.
--4E's "Interruption" rule for long rests was to add the time spent in combat to how long you needed to rest for, so I'm thinking that the number of rounds spent in combat could be added on as additional days required for rest.

You guys who do wounds and long rests feel free to help me out, my key point is that I want this system as simple as possible. If the entire system can fit on an 8x11 or less, it's perfect. If it needs more pages than that, it's too complicated.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I use the following:

Short Rest: You can use your HD, but the maximum on each die is half it's potential...unless you expend one 'use' of a Healing Kit. Someone with Medicine skill can make a check, and use 'make-shift healing kit stuff' (torn up bed roll, some rope and a bit of the dwarf's vodka, for example), with the DC being dependent upon where the triage is taking place, and what materials are being used. Only one "healer kit usage" needs to be used, regardless of how many HD's are being used by the character.

Example: A Fighter is down a bunch o' HP. He decides to use all his remaining HD...3 of them...because he has no healing kit, nor does anyone else in his party. His CON is 14, for +2. He rolls 3d10, but each die has a maximum of 5. He rolls, and gets 10, 8, 4; he heals 5+2, 5+2, 4+2, for a total of 20hp's. If he had one use of a healers kit available, all dice are normal (and he would have healed 28hp's).

Long Rest: At the "morning", each PC gets to roll a "free" half-maximum-HD, round up. If the area resting in isn't "suitably safe and comfortable", then the half-max-die kicks in. Use of a healing kit ONLY counts for 'actual HDs spent healing', not the 'free ones'.

Example: The Fighter above gets more hurt and the party decides to rest up for the evening. They backtrack to an out of the way cavern with a pool of water. It's a bit brackish, and the whole area is damp and cold. The party decides against any sort of fire, as they don't want to alert anything nearby...so the DM decides this is not 'comfy enough'. The 'night' passes by uneventfully. The Fighter is 5th level, so he gets to roll 3d10+6...but each d10 has a maximum roll of 5. He gets 10, 5, and 1, for 5+2, 5+2, 1+2 = 17 of 'natural' healing. He regains his single HD for having a Long Rest, and decids to spend it immediately. The same penalty applies. He rolls and gets a 9...which becomes 5, +2 for his CON adjustment gives him another 7hp. If the party had a healers kit with at least one use left in it, he would have healed 17, but then healed another 11 (the 9 he rolled stays a 9, but the 'free HD healing' don't get the benefit).

As for dropping to 0hp...we also add 1 level of Exhaustion to the character each time it happens. That said, I am thinking of implementing a rule that allows someone with Medicine and a healers kit to make a check (DC to be determined), with success indicating one level of Exhaustion is removed. Not sure how long this should take...maybe a Short Rest? I'll have to think about it.

Lingering Injuries? Naaa...we just kind of free-form it. If some particular action resulted in significant damage or a really unusual failure, we apply basic "imaginative role-playing restrictions" (e.g., Ohoooo....a 1! So, you swing on the rope, but let go too soon and rather than land on your face you get your forearm out just in time! Your (rolls d6...) left elbow is sprained/twisted. Then the player just role-plays the injury and I take that into consideration when the PC needs to make checks and stuff.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

delericho

Legend
We use the RAW for healing, but it's probably the aspect of 5e I've come to dislike most - I really don't care for in-combat healing these days, while out-of-combat healing just takes too long.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
this is what I'm planning on doing (at the moment):

- If you drop to 0 but come back, you get one point of exhaustion (not enough to cripple character, but enough to count)
- Revivify is not available. I *may* make it a life cleric only spell, still thinking about that one. If you are at zero, it's a big problem!
- Raise dead will be available.
- Long rest does not provide back to max hp
- HD still exist and can be spent, but the totals are halved. So a level 8 character can have up to 4HD (not 8) and regains 2HD (not 4) per long rest.

This results in a healing rate that is greater than previous editions, but not as generous.

Horwath

Legend
When dropped to zero one level of exaustion, which can be removed after a short rest while expending atleast one HD

No HP regain on full rest, but right after full rest all HD you spend are maxed out.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'll note that reduced natural healing makes the self healing powers of fighters more important, and that is a good thing IMO

Remove ads