• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rest and Injury at your table

Tony Vargas

Legend
If you re-gain HD more slowly than 1/2 HD per long rest, or cannot spend them (or as many of them) on a short rest - or don't have them at all - then, clearly, relative HD size becomes less significant.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
That is bizarre... I thought I had replied to you, didn't see my reply, refreshed, still not there... and now it's here! Note the posting interval.

Anyway, I think I see what you mean but I'll have to think on it, something doesn't quite jive... but maybe it's just me.

sunrisekid

Explorer
Cross-posting but I hope relevant to this thread. Here's the houserule I'm considering:

* At 0HP the character is unconscious and finished for the fight.
* At the end of the fight make a single death save; success = stabilization, failure means the character bled out while everyone else was fighting.
* During the fight another PC can try to come to their rescue, e.g., dragging the character to safety to "stop the bleeding" with a healing kit.*
* Heal spells will not wake an unconscious/dying 0HP character, but will ensure stabilization.
* If the character stabilizes then roll on the Lingering Injury table (DMG p272). This injury affects the character for the rest of the adventure but disappears for the next adventure. Sleeping in the dungeon won't fix it, but downtime between games sessions will.

(Use of healing kit, bandaging wounds, CPR, etc, requires 1 minute, likely precluding use in a fight but not necessarily.)

Combining the above with healer kit dependency and slow natural healing.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
This is very very similar to what we are experimenting with currently. So far it works excellent. No-one wants to drop to zero and being knocked unconscious often has a lasting effect (our injury table has a 17+ no injury window, so sometimes they come out unscathed).

Remove ads