• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resurrection City 2: The Adventure of the Iron Knives

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Diggory and Trevor run after the plodding corpse, knocking it to the ground with a heavy thud. The serpentine dagger skids out of its hands to stop at the wall, and Dr. Hewitt snatches a surgical knife and stabs at what's exposed of its back. With a cry, Longtree snatches another surgical knife and sticks the corpse in its side. It gives a convulsive shudder and lies still - is it dead? Can such a thing be said to apply to something that by all rights was dead in the first place?

Jarval

Explorer
"I think we should perhaps restrain this corpse is some fashion." Richard suggests, taking a few steps back from the again motionless body. He still holds the surgical knife tightly, unsure as to just how truly dead the man is.

"After all, if he's got up and walked about at least once since he died, I don't see what's stopping him from doing it again..."

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Diggory grimaces as he gets off the corpse. "That sounds fine to me. We should push on with our investigation, though. No matter how much some of us," he coughs, "might be wantin' a bath fer themselves. If someone else would like to tackle the next corpse, you won't be gettin' any argument from me."

JimAde

First Post
Trevor leaps to his feet, says, "Monty!" and dashes from the room.

[OOC: Looking to catch up to the fleeing constable, if possible, so I can talk him into helping us.]

ShortAssassin

First Post
Robinson grimaced at the corpse. "Maybe the morgue? Ye got somewhere ye can lock 'im up there? Why the 'ell did that just 'happen? None of ye be as surprised as me for some reason." He looked around at the others, busy brushing bits from their clothing.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"Goodness," Dr. Westcott says. He mutters to himself and bends down to see if anything's amiss with the corpse. Satisfied that there isn't, he looks up at Robinson. "Perhaps this fellow Walsingham's getting can be telling us what happened."

"We can probably keep it in here, yes," Longtree says, watching Trevor run out of the room. He grins slyly. "We've some rope we can use, though doubtless the men'll be wanting to know why we're tying up a dead body. At any rate, if we keep it locked in here, it won't be bothering anything except some other folk who won't be minding any."

After a moment Trevor returns with the constable. Dr. Westcott steps forward. "I think perhaps discretion is needed here. Perhaps you men should be questioning our friend here somewhere other than the morgue. If someone is spying on him, he can't very well do it with no corpses."

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Dr. Westcott said:
"I think perhaps discretion is needed here. Perhaps you men should be questioning our friend here somewhere other than the morgue. If someone is spying on him, he can't very well do it with no corpses."

"Fair enough. Are there any meeting rooms here?"

Jarval

Explorer
ShortAssassin said:
Robinson grimaced at the corpse. "Maybe the morgue? Ye got somewhere ye can lock 'im up there? Why the 'ell did that just 'happen? None of ye be as surprised as me for some reason." He looked around at the others, busy brushing bits from their clothing.
"I wouldn't say I wasn't surprised." Richard places the knife back onto one of the tables as he speaks. "But this isn't the first time we've seen a supposedly dead man walking around and up to no good. It was under rather different circumstances, however."

He glances at Trevor, remembering the man's breakdown over the events, checking to see how the Baron is holding up.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Monty is of course shaken, but Miller does his best to calm him. The constable breathes deeply. "Thank you, Father," he says.

"Certainly," Longtree says in response to Diggory's question. "Step into my office." He leads the way up the hall and shuts the door behind him. "Take a seat, Monty."

The inspector's office is covered in reminders of cases in which he was involved, newspaper clippings and photographs and the like. Otherwise, the room is sparse, a relatively empty affair with two desks, two chairs, and a typewriter.

The constable seats himself while Diggory, Miller, Trevor, Hewitt, Westcott and Longtree station themselves around the room. "So, Monty, we're free from prying ears and eyes here, I think. Care to tell us what you know?"

"It was a Mr. Smythe, sir. He was the one who hired me - threatened me, really. He was in India, I believe, in the army. Anyways, he's got two Indian brothers working for him. He said he'd have them do horrible things to my family, sir, if I didn't tell him what he wanted to know. That was all months and months ago."

"And what did he want to know?"

"Simple things, really. Police movements, things like that. But then today..."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads