• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resurrection City IV: Et In Arcadia Ego

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Trevor and Dr. Hewitt: East End

JimAde said:
He holds up one of the watches, letting it turn slowly on its chain. "This is a nice one," he observes. "You don't often see them pre-engraved like this."
"No, ye don't," Willie says with a grin. "Yesset... yes, I remember him. Bit of a crank, if I do say so. Used to see him quite a bit here in the East End, and not up at that 'ospital, either." Receiving a blank look, he continues. "'e was one of those alienists, y'know, used to work down at Bedlam. I know, 'cause me brother was there. I don't rightly know what happened, but later I knew 'im as one of those street doctors, you know the types that wander the streets, sellin' their 'fabulous cures' and whatnot. Used to see him quite a bit up on Dorset, quite chummy with Jack McCarthy."

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Insp. Diggory: Soho

"Yes, please," Wield says, taking the proffered drink and nodding his thanks. "Circumstances, well, they weren't anything suspicious. The window was opened and Dr. Bond was found on the street below. Apparently, he'd simply jumped. I'm not a coroner, I just dress up the dead, but the one who did the work tells me there was nothing strange there, either."

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
"I do understand that ye're not the coroner, but I do appreciate any information that ye can be giving me. Ye're far closer to this one than I've been, me being off in Wales and all. I'd never really seen the doctor as a jumper; it's a rather extreme and frightening way for a man to die, and I'd never seen him as being one given to extremities," Diggory says as he muses over his drink. He takes a sip and continues, "Was there no note that ye know of?"

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
Trevor nods and selects a good quality engraved watch. "Have you seen or heard of him lately?" he asks, paying Willie entirely too much for the watch.

[OOC: Basically giving Willie a reasonable price, plus a generous "tip" for his continued help. All under the cover of doing "normal" business in case anyone is watching. I don't want to sully his reputation. :)

BTW I'm selecting an engraved watch specifically so that tomorrow I can place an ad in the paper saying: "Found - Lost engraved property of <owner's name>." If someone can contact my butler Cooper with a description of the watch they can have it back.
]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Insp. Diggory: Soho

Kajamba Lion said:
"I'd never really seen the doctor as a jumper; it's a rather extreme and frightening way for a man to die, and I'd never seen him as being one given to extremities," Diggory says as he muses over his drink. He takes a sip and continues, "Was there no note that ye know of?"
"Nor I," says Wield. "I met him in '86, when we were working on that murderer up Regent Park way. Ingenious bloke was using cobras to do the killing. At any rate, Bond always seemed a smart enough chap, and stable enough. We saw no note. In fact, his housekeeper knew nothing of what had happened until she was sweeping the porch, and found him on the walk. She said Bond'd seemed perfectly fine not an hour before at breakfast." He finishes his drink and places the glass on the table, waving away another. "Although, come to think of it," he says after a moment, "his file-drawers were opened and some papers taken away."

There is a short knock on the door and the landlord of Diggory's building, a man named Thompson, walks in, presenting him with a calling-card. After a short nod from Diggory, he walks out and returns in a moment with Yeats. The poet motions for Diggory and Wield to continue.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
JimAde said:
Trevor nods and selects a good quality engraved watch. "Have you seen or heard of him lately?" he asks, paying Willie entirely too much for the watch.
"Naw," says Willie, shaking his head. "Not since... well, about the time these here troubles started. Heard he left town." He shakes his head. "These here are some bad times, Trevor, almost as bad as '88 was. People ain't calmed down from that yet, and now this starts. All these folks not sleepin' kinda makes things hard on a bloke like me, y'know?"

How very proper of you. ;)

JimAde

First Post
Trevor nods sympathetically. "Listen, Willie. Why don't you leave town for a week or two? Get some rest. I'll put you up at my place up North."

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Diggory introduces Wield and Yeats, offering Yeats a drink from the sidebar. The inspector quickly explains things. "We've been talking about the Bond suicide, although based on what Dr. Wield's told me, I'm not sure that it was a suicide. No note, or at least not one that's been found; even though, in me experience, suicide notes are usually found rather easily. Also, his file drawers were open and some papers taken." Jamison turns back to Wield. "Ye've pretty much confirmed me suspicions, Doctor. Who's in charge of all this — do ye think I could get in there to take a look at the scene? I have a feeling I know what and who those files were about."

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Trevor & Dr. Hewitt: East End

JimAde said:
Trevor nods sympathetically. "Listen, Willie. Why don't you leave town for a week or two? Get some rest. I'll put you up at my place up North."
"I wouldn't want to intrude myself," Willie says. "But if you insist."

"Trevor!" Hewitt says in a harsh whisper, tugging at his sleeve. "Look!"

Walking down the opposite side of the street is a black-clad, bent, blind old man, almost the spitting image of the one that killed Horatio Cartwright.

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Kajamba Lion said:
"Ye've pretty much confirmed me suspicions, Doctor. Who's in charge of all this — do ye think I could get in there to take a look at the scene?"
"Inspector Charles of the London Police has the case. I'd imagine he'd let you in to take a look at things." He pulls out his pocket watch. "I have an appointment to get to. Have to work on some lawyer they fished out of the Thames. Always lovely, drownings." He chuckles morbidly and gathers his coat and hat. "I thank you for the drinks, Diggory," he says. With a handshake, he steps out.

After Wield leaves, Yeats turns to Diggory, producing three small wire contraptions from his pocket. "You'd best be taking these if you're going to confront EIECET. Keep them on you at all times, just in a pocket is good enough." He sees Diggory's somewhat perplexed expression. "For good luck, we'll say. I said I'd bring them by, and so I have. Now I must take my leave."

He turns to go, but stops short. "Ahh. Florence and I did the research we were meaning to do, and her suspicion came through. You say this Whitechapel problem started near Dorset Street, correct?" Without waiting for an answer, he continues. "
Christchurch is near there. Built after the Great Fire by a man named Nicholas Hawksmoor. He built six other churches throughout the East End, as well. Hawksmoor's churches all have obelisks and pyramids on the grounds. Focal sites. Coincidentally, they line up with the seven 'stars' on Tera's ruby.
"

If you want to ask/tell Wield anything more, we'll assume you got it in before he left.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads