Retraining?

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
Do you think retraining should be in the new edition of D&D? I think it should be in 5E and be allowed at a greater rate than what was done in 4E. Retraining allows people the option to not have to start a new character every time WotC puts out a splat book and there shouldn't be a "Only 1/level" rule. It totally breaks immersion. Having steady and free access to retraining also breaks the concept of system mastery from the game, which chases away new players and is just a horrible concept altogether.

Stuff like retraining feats, skills, powers (if they are in the edition), and even builds is a-ok with me.

Last edited:

Tallifer

Hero
I think retraining should be almost completely free and flexible. I expect the player and dungeon master to come up with some good story for it, and I like the old rules about taking weeks to train for a level anyway.

These days I allow my Fourth Edition players to just retrain freely every level. No sense in people getting rid of characters they love just to try out some different mechanics.

I realize that in real life, our bad choices stick with us for the rest of our lives, but most people roleplay to escape the grind of real life and to imagine fantastic worlds and characters.

SKyOdin

First Post
An old DM of mine would let his players completely overhaul their characters if they wanted. The only requirements were that the characters had to have the same race, the same general concept, and the character may need to take some time off for some training. I think it worked fine.

I think detailed retraining rules like those in 4E are too limited and constraining. I would be perfectly fine of 5E had a sidebar that said "If your player wants to rebuild his character to better fit his character concept, let him." Players shouldn't be chained to a set of mechanical choices if they aren't having fun with them.

Remove ads